• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

SW Ammo in 260???

TEAMSENDIT

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 22, 2008
    whidbey island
    Well i ordered a savage lrp in 260 and i don't feel like reloading for it and want to order a couple hundred rounds for it from southwest ammo. so i am looking for recommendations on whether to get the 142 smk or 139scenar load? normally i handload but honestly i am just to damn busy right now.

thanks scott

Re: SW Ammo in 260???

I've only tried their 142smk so far.

I'm shooting in a 26" 1:8 twist Savage with an Ed Brown aftermarket barrel (not exactly a custom IMHO)

I got MOA, but not sub-MOA.

I didn't have my Chrony with me, so that's all I know so far.

It was consistent, just about .900+. I shot 20 rounds in groups of 5's. One group did open up on me but not by much. But with .900+ best for the day, I'm willing to try the 139's and hope they do better.

I also have a Savage 12 LRP in .260 Rem on order. Hopefully it will be here in the next few days. I ordered 200 rounds of the 142 SMK because it was less expensive, and had a higher bc. I don't have room to reload, so based on what I'd read here, I went with SW.

Will report back when I get everything.

Justin

TSI, I shot their 139s and had good accuracy(sub .5 moa). The velocity was just under 2700. That being said my barrel only had 25-30 rounds through it when we chronographed it. After 200+ rounds it was at 2730-40. This is out of a 22.5" 8tw bartlein. I was more than impressed with Southwests' ammo.

Rthur

I'm sorta new to SWA having only tried .308's and .260's so far during one of their recent promotions.

My 5r .308 loves their 175 SMK's and the guys at SW Ammo are great. it takes them a while but they make good for long waits.

They have a loyal new customer (me) and I highly recommend them to any friend.

I plan to order some 139's for my 260 from my next months paycheck to see if those work better.

And I'm hoping they get a chance to make some .243's with 105's scenars soon.

I have a LRP in .260 and so far I have only tried handloads with 140gr Bergers. Please keep us informed of how it works.

Here is some data on their 139 Scenar load not their premium. R&P case, OAL 2.760", average velocity 2808 FPS, SD 28, ES 63, 5 shots measured over an Oehler 35P @ 95 degree's, DA 7480', average bullet run out 0.008" rifle Sako TRG. Shot sub MOA out to 300 yards.

SW ammo is delivering under .5 moa in 2 different 260's for me with the 139 bullets.

The 139gr load shot sub-MOA for me; absolutely no problems with this ammo, and will use it again for times when I just can't find the time to reload...

Haven't tried the 142s but the 139s shot well enough in my Spartan that I used them for a match while I worked up my own ladders.

Order waaaay before you need the ammo though - my orders have been 1+ weeks late shipping in spite of being "in stock" when I called.