• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

SWA 77gr 223 in your ARs?

mosin46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
florida 32621
got a new AR DPMS 8" twist gun. how has this worked out for people? i know their 308 that i have used is top drawer. just looking for some feedback on the 77gr remanufactured. thanks.

I've had outstanding results with SWA in my 1-7 twist rifles. SWA is 5.56 so I hope your dpms is 5.56 and not .223.

I use their powder/charge weight recipe (as posted on a different forum some time back) with 77gr Noslers and it shoots very well @ 2660fps out of my 18" 1:8 BHW barrel.

The price is better than other 77 OTM on the market but its not as cheap as it used to be. I've had great results with their ammo in the past and as you have mentioned the .308 is second to none. I have bought from them going back about 2 years now. One thing i do want to mention is that I recently bought another case of this ammo about 2 or 3 months ago and I must say the consistency is not nearly as good as the ammo I have bought from them in the past. I don't know if because of the panic they are just rushing these out and not having the same quality control or if they are having to use different powders or bullets or what but it is a very noticeable difference over the stuff I ordered in the past. I'd say give them a shot either way for a few hundred rounds and see what you get. Worth it for the price but if you are competing or want to get the tightest groups possible with 77 gr, maybe bring along some black hills and see which is better. I've shot them side by side in the past and could see no difference but the last batch i got, black hills was head and shoulders above. I'm sure i'll get some flack over this since their following on here is VERY loyal as they should be and as I was but I have to call it like i see it. Maybe ii just got a bad batch.

Were those the remans? I've had 3/4 moa performance typically out of my MK12 with SWA 77gr match, and ~1moa with their old "Run and Gun" ammunition.

I use their powder/charge weight recipe (as posted on a different forum some time back) with 77gr Noslers and it shoots very well @ 2660fps out of my 18" 1:8 BHW barrel.

What powder/charge recipe is that?

Were those the remans? I've had 3/4 moa performance typically out of my MK12 with SWA 77gr match, and ~1moa with their old "Run and Gun" ammunition.

Yes the were the remanufactured. I should have mentioned that. I have had about the same results as you but slightly wider. about 3/4 to even 1/2 MOA from the new stuff and MOA at best and slightly larger with the remans so I guess it does make a difference. They quit selling the new manufactured stuff for quite a while so the only thing they had was the re manufactured. In fact i think that's all they have up for the 77 gr for 40$ a box of 50. If money is not an option you can usually find black hills new manufactured for 49 a box and sometimes less all day long online but I understand especially buying in bulk, for not wanting to pay the extra cheddar. It was a better deal when they were around the 35 or 36 $ a box range but i suppose still good value at 40 with the caveat that the remans aren't as accurate as the new stuff.