• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Swage

03psd

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2006
Oklahoma
Got a Dillon Super Swage 600 for XMAS. Just so I understand, this piece of equipement does not remove the crimp by cutting it out, but rather mashes it flat into the pocket wall while expanding the pocket to factory specifications. Right?

Any tips for setting it up?

Re: Swage

Correct the Super-Swage uses physical pressure to reshape the primer pocket at the area of the crimp.

As for setting the thing up... well, to start i would take the unit apart, give it a nice light coat of oil (i use Mobil One 5w30 on my presses) and reassemble.

Removing large primer crimps take a bit more force than the small. But in both cases, screw the support rod out and turn in very small increments until you feel some resistance in the bottom of the stroke. Be very careful not to overswage it, i ruined some Federal 223 brass because it didnt resist as hard as the military 30-06 cases i was used to and the support rod warped the bottom of the primer pocket.

The idea is to displace just enough brass to be able to seat a primer without struggling.

Mine warped my brass on .223 and I had to run them through the sizing die again, might be better to decap then swage then size. I set it to just remove enough crimp to seat a primer but it still takes a bit of force and it can bend the brass like a bananna, this isn't visible but you can measure it.

I use mine for .223 and I originally forced it too much. I too warped some cases. You don't have to lean on them that hard. In most cases now I don't have to use any force at all. When I do it I rotate the case in the swager and do it a second time. cheers.

Glad to know i am not the only one who has warped 223 cases with that thing. Guess you really don't appreciate the mechanical advantage that the Super-Swage really generates.
cool.gif

Then again i never thought about the power of my Redding T-7 until i got my finger pinched between the die and shellholder. Boy did that hurt!