• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Swaging who does it?

Utah Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
SL UT
Just curious if there are any who swage their own projectiles? How good is the accuracy? What type of projectile are you making.

I currently have a .224 Corbin set making some projectiles capable of shooting sub moa using 22 lr cases.

Anyway, just curious.

Re: Swaging who does it?

Not buildinng bullets from scratch, but using a Corbin die to resize 130-142 grain 6.5 bullets (A-max, Berger VLDs, Sierra Gamekings & Matchkings) down to .257 and shooting them out of an 8 twist 25-06. They come out looking like the factory originals and shoot very well. With the A-maxs I can shoot 2.25 - 3.00" groups at 300 yards with an A-bolt hunting setup.

I haven't done it but I have saved up a bunch of .22LR cases to hopefully be able to try it some day.

I've been swaging my own .22 cal. bullets with rimfire jackets in the Corbin dies for decades now. I've found that velocities must be limited to 2,500 fps with these or you'll drop a jacket in the bore. I also make my own (jacketed) .357 bullets. I have dies for .308 but I shoot that so little that I haven't used them in over ten years. I've also got some 7mm Hollywood swaging dies that I've never used.
whistle.gif

I have just been using lead wire that a buddy of mine makes for me.

I am getting great results with the ones that I am making with my corbin dies out of 22lr. I can push them past 3200 with great accuracy.

I am hoping to get some for my 9mm and my .308 bolt gun sooner than later.

I was just curious if anyone really did this.

019-1.jpg

I have some of the whole round after being produced as well. Just cannot find the photo's.

well i just got my swagging die from hawk bullets last week to make 45acp/lc bullets
started putting things together and waiting for my lead delivery next week
hopefully ill post some pics next week
plan on using 40s&w brass as a jacket

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kd185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well i just got my swagging die from hawk bullets last week to make 45acp/lc bullets
started putting things together and waiting for my lead delivery next week
hopefully ill post some pics next week
plan on using 40s&w brass as a jacket </div></div>

Heck yeah. Using spent brass for free sure is the way to do it.

well been playing around with my brass and lead and swaged up a few
big learning curve here
tuff to make a light weight 45acp bullet from 40 S&W brass
these weight in around 195 grains
need to find a simpler system
the discoloration is from the annealing
and the drag marks are from the resizing die
i have a few ideas to try out
need to get a few more tools

45acp.jpg

yup
hawks 1/2 jacket dies
i think there work out as i experiment more

Eventually some CSI guy will be pulling those type of bullets out of some body and go WTF!!!! His head will explode!! They look so cool though.