• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SWAMMO Rem 260 142 SMK bullet velocity

ArmyJerry

fukallyall
Banned !
Nov 22, 2012
Kicking Ass Somewhere
They list the 260 142 SMK at 2770 fps, I shot 100 of these today and my new rifle likes them very very much. I have looked for load data that will get me up to 2770 fps with a 142 smk and cant find any published data. I have a crapload of 140 Amaxes I tried out with various IMR 43650 powder with 0.75 MOA as the best result with one load, the SWammo 142's were hitting right at 0.50 MOA so I think my rifle likes velocity. Any suggestions on a load that will egt me to 2770 or better with IMR 4350, Varget or any powder and a 140 AMAX or 142 SMK?

From my 26" 1:8 260 barrel, using Lapua brass and the 140gr HPBT...

42.5gr H4350: 2780fps
43.1gr H4350: 2818fps

wow, I iwll pull one tomorrow. I dont have any H 4350 just IMR 4350, do they look the same?
The IMR variant is a smidge quicker to burn, start lower and work up. You could also try the IMR 4831 or the H4831SC. They will get you there also, though you're gonna need a little more powder and it will more than likely be a compressed load. I use H4350 and H4831SC both, and they gave me equally good results, but prefer the 4350 only because I go through less powder.

Hitting 2770fps may not be the reason the SWA shoots better than you reloads. SWA is some good stuff, might be hard to duplicate that consistancy with your reloads.

No offense to you, but i disagree with you on not being able to duplicate the consistancy with reloads.

Hitting 2770fps may not be the reason the SWA shoots better than you reloads. SWA is some good stuff, might be hard to duplicate that consistancy with your reloads.

Now thats some funny shit right there.

No offense to you, but i disagree with you on not being able to duplicate the consistancy with reloads.

If anything he could get tighter groups rolling his own specific to HIS rifle. If not why am I going to all the trouble and expense?

L

Last edited:
Sorry to start a fire.

I guess my point was. The time, effort, and funds the OP was dedicating twords reloading, he may not get better results than he was getting with SWA. Doesn't sound like he owns a chrono.

Obviously most people have the equipment and spend the time to get great groups with reloads. But if you don't, factory ammo is an option

No funds issue here, old man, good job, kids grown, colleges paid for, availability issue like everyone else is all. Just looking for a matching load, stuck in Marseille France til tomorrow and would like to load up some more Sunday when I get home. I have a few hundred more 260 with some 300 WM reloads on the way from SWAMMO, just wondering the load is all.

No chrono, range limited here in so fla

Factory ammo sux for my skill level, its the reason why I am asking in the first place. (not a great shooter but well beyond factory ammo)

Sorry to start a fire.

I guess my point was. The time, effort, and funds the OP was dedicating twords reloading, he may not get better results than he was getting with SWA. Doesn't sound like he owns a chrono.

Obviously most people have the equipment and spend the time to get great groups with reloads. But if you don't, factory ammo is an option

ArmyJerry I have used IMR4350 in my 260 when i first got it for barrel break in. It shot very well I forget the load but I quickly moved on to H4350. And I no longer worry abut barrel break in. I bet if you worked at it long enough IMR4350 would yield good results I'd guess from 41-42.5 would be the place to look with it. I currently run 43.3 of H4350 with a 142SMK at 2850 fps. 26" GAP 260 1-8.5 Bartlein 5R barrel. I use IMR4064 for my 260 hunting Remington hunting rifle too 129 sst bullets though. Deer don'y care what powder you use on them. I've not seen one fall down for using "the wrong powder"