• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Swapping a barrel on an AW, any tips?

Mr_Happyface

Huge Dork
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2006
Gents,

I'm taking off the factory .300 winmag barrel (unused so I'd like to keep scuffing nonexistent) on my AW and replacing it with a barrel chambered for 7mm LRM by GAP which should be arriving shortly.
I bought a Tubb barrel vise and an action wrench so I plan to wrap the barrel in thick rubber and wrench it off then replace it with the new one.

2 questions:

1) How many ft-lbs do I torque the replacement to?

2) What do I need to do to the replacement barrel to protect it and the receiver from rust? Do you typically degrease and lube the new threads with something?

Lube the threads with any grease you'd like and torque the barrel to 100 ft-lbs. Really almost any torque value will work, but 100 is roughly equivalent to factory spec and easily repeatable.

The thick rubber will prolly strip out long before you get close to 100 ft-lbs. get a correct fitting barrel block made of aluminum.