• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Swapping Optics between gas and bolt platform. Spuhr cantilever or stardard?

Dthomas3523

Account no longer active
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2018
    South Texas
    Hello,

So, I'll be using an ATACR 4-16 and an AMG between a few platforms. Both gas and bolt. I'll likely be utilizing spuhr mounts for both optics. My question is, if I need the optics to be cantilevered on the gas gun, would you suggest using a cantilevered base or the actual spuhr cantilevered mount?

My concern with using the cantilevered spuhr would be when attaching it to a bolt rifle. Has anyone attempted to do this, and if so, were there any issues getting the correct eye relief on the bolt rifle?

If you recommend the standard Spuhr mount and a cantilevered base/riser rail, what suggestions do you have for the brand/type of riser? This would also allow me to use the lower spuhr mount as opposed to the cantilevered which is 1.5".

Thanks!

I have the cantilevered Spuhr mount and didn't have any issues with eye relief when switching between gas and bolt platforms

I don’t use cantilevered mounts on my gassers, so for me, it would not be an issue. I did just what you are planning for a bit. I ran my PMII 5-25 on both my gasser and my bolt. I have since glasses both. I was/am running a Spuhr and had no difficulty between platforms. I’m thinking the eye relief of the scope would be a big part of it as well. I would go Spuhr and try it, you can always pick up a cantilevered Mount later if needed.

I used this setup when moving from my AI AT to my SR25 ACC and back. Its a Larue QD riser mount which has a slight cantilever, and a Spuhr SP4001. Worked perfectly.
    IMG_0661 2.jpg

I've heard cantilever mounts risk mild flexing on reciprocating semi's, which could potentially damage the scope.
    But that's just internet rumormill stuff I've read elsewhere.

In reality there's probably little to no difference as long as youre able to correctly mount for eye relief across the different platforms.

I use a Badger 22 MOA base on my semi and Seekins rings so I can swap the scope back to my bolt guns easy enough.

MeE5pwb.jpg