• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes swarovski as a tactical scope

bward

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 22, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Before getting into more tactical style rifles I mainly only shot hunting style rifles and optics in the field. I know in the hunting scope line swarovski is one of the best you can buy, but have noticed from reading on this forum that their name is not mentioned much. Is there a reason, such as durability or something else, that makes everyone on here prefer S&B's, US Optics, Hensoldt, and Nightforce over swarovskis? Just curious.

Re: swarovski as a tactical scope

Swarovski does not make tactical turrets. They have benchrest turrets. <span style="text-decoration: underline">This is why. </span>Swarovski rep told me that Swarovski did not want to make a scope that was built to kill people.....go figure...

For hunting IMO they are the BEST. (SWAROVSKI)

For Tactical, Hands down... Schimidt Bender!!!

So if I am currently doing mostly long range bench shooting with a 338 lapua would swarovski be a good option? Or would I be better of sticking with Nightforce?

We started carrying Swarovski mainly to stock their Laser Range Finders and not so-much their scopes (we're more Tactical oriented than hunting).

But I recently got the chance to look at their brand new Z6 1-6x24 scope that is coming out and I was really impressed (I'm now kicking myself for not taking pics when the rep. brought it in to look at). Of course it had the quality glass that Swarovski is known for, but the illumination was very bright, and it had a ballistic reticle. I thought it would be a very effective CQB optic which is why we'll be stocking them as soon as they come out (we'll have more info in the coming days). We'll also be doing an in-depth review on it in the next 2-3 weeks so you can look for that too.

Thanks,

Mike @ CST

swarovski makes a world class optic, but they think 40moa of adjustment is plenty, which isn't the case as we all know

I had suspected that lack of elevation may have been what was holding them back, I hadn't seen them used much in the benchrest world either.

They are fine hunting optics, but thats it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Swarovski does not make tactical turrets. They have benchrest turrets. That is why.</div></div>

would you mind explaining the difference to me? thanks

Afterall, Swarovski did make the ZFM. And, Kahles was but a subsidiary of Swarovski for a time.

But they should still make me a tactical scope, because...I only hunt.... THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME.

smile.gif

Had to.

its a shame they dont make tactical scopes, their glass is great.
    seems like they dont want the money from someone who does not only want to shoot at animals at known distances.
    a damn pacifist company they are.
    i would never buy a scope from them , i feel they are of the opinion that only a hunter should be allowed to have a weapon, and of course big brother

its like they are even ahead of our politicians when its about the "guns are bad" attitude, by limiting themselves to reticles that dont allow holdovers in Mil or MOA, or are useable for range estimating. from my point of view military reticles and tatcical turrets are very usefull, also for hunters.

besides that i know a guy with a very lite custom 338 lapua , and the swaro scopes would loose zero on it

I have three of them that i am shooting now. Two Z5's and one Z6 with BDC turrets. Glass is great as always. There tracking is crap. Box tested all of them not one would pass, or come back to within two inches of starting point. Two of them are on 300Rem Ultra Mag, other one is on 270wsm. I am shooting the Berger 190vld's in the 300 and 150's in the short mag.. The turrets run out of travel with a 20 MOA base about 800 yards on the one and 680 yards on the other two scopes. For the price you pay for them I would look elsewhere for a tactical scope. Or if you are trying to have BDC turrets that work. Yeah this really is not that good of a system. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKegyDxukHc&feature=player_embedded#!

Mr06, benchrest refers to shooting at paper targets while sitting, often with self loaded ammo; whereas tactical relates to combat tactics that take place near the battlefront. Pay attention to the word "relates." If any of your relatives have ever been in the military, you might be more tactical than you think. If you have ever changed the color of anything you own to green, then you are probably tactical. If you collect things that soldiers use, you are definitely tactical.

It starts to get confusing in the ether world. For instance,if you shoot at a paper target but the paper target had a drawing of a foreign male on it, even if you are sitting when you shoot, it could still be tactical if you are wearing a uniform like the soldier might wear, or a pouch or two, or if you were to hit the deck every time someone else fired as if you are unsure of where the fire is coming from.

Benchrest shooters have to lug that heavy bench everywhere they go. Tactical shooters do not. They prefer to not be seen at all, unless, of course, someone is taking pictures or they have been told to assemble, with all their kit, on the firing line so that someone can go over the safety regulations.

I have only seen a few really faulty scopes that were clearly screwed up and all but one were Swarovski. Tracking was a joke and if you dry fired, the reticule jumped around to an amazing degree. POI shift corresponded to reticule jump. Out of over 300 scopes I have had on my range I have had 4 bad ones, 3 Swarovski and one other. BTW I have only had 3 Swarovski's total. ZERO for 3 is enough for me, you could not give me one if I had to use it. If you look at my post, you will see that I do not go around bashing products, but those scopes have cost me a lot of frustration. JMO

Lots of 3 gunners use the Z6i 1-6x. They are awesome scopes. With the BRT reticle they are most useful.

I've been pretty rough on mine and have never had any issues. My gun gets dumped in barrels all the time and the Z6i keeps a ticking.

Which scope has the best low light glass swarv Z6i 3x18x50 or the 4x16x50 S&B? Looking to purchase one of these or the new S&B 3x20x50 when it comes out. Gonna be on a 7mmwsm hunting rig but will do alot of shooting with it as well.

I am a huge fan of Swarovski optics in general and have hada few of their scopes and bino's over the years.

I currently own a 3-12x50PF with an illiminated reticule that has served me well on a variety of rifles for the last 15 years. Most of that time, it was part of my "go-to" set up for deer stalking, and its had alot of use/abuse over the years without any problem.

I've never had an issue with the tracking on any Swaro I've owned and the optics have always been excellent.

That said, they are *not* tactical/long range scopes as they simply lack the features needed.

As much as I like Swaro, when I started to get interested in long range shooting, I bought a S&B PM11 as it was the right tool for the job..