• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Swarovski Spotter with a reticle!!!

matt2143

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 4, 2009
    Northern, VA
    Down at the PRS finals I was getting some last minute things together before heading home and saw what I thought was a Spotter 60 and wanted to take a look through it. As I got closer I realized it was definitely not a Hensoldt and upon further inspection realized it was a Swaro with an illuminated reticle! Took some pics for you guys.

It appears that the reticle is something like what Eotech uses since the reticle disappears when off and when turned on too bright the whole reticle blooms and almost looks grainy like an Eotech. It had about 8 brightness settings, 4 daylight and 4 nighttime. The only thing I noticed was it was difficult to find the right setting so you could mil with the reticle without it being too 'fussy' to mil accurately.

Last edited:
    Was a rep there, or did Euro have some insight, cause I have been hearing about this since SHOT last year, actually a bit longer, however I have also heard it's gonna retail around $5k ...at least

Was it the new modular spotter, cause your image sucks ass, :) I can't even tell which model it is

Yes my images suck hahaha. It is the modular spotter with what appears to be just a different back half. After reviewing the images I am confident that reticle is NOT a mil reticle. That plate is at 885 yards and was .5 mil wide. The reticle did increase with magnification just like an FFP. There were reps there but I never got to talk to them about it.....

AND max power was 50x......

I had a run down on it a few minutes ago,

It;s the modular, which will increase the price, it's a FFP for sure, they will offer both the Mil and MOA reticles, and its still in prototype phase, but getting close.

I suspect, with the normal modular spotter running around $5k, this is gonna come in higher

This looks awesome. I've heard some use vortex mil/mil eye pieces with their swarovski non modular 65s... This is something much better. But $5k... Jeeze they are getting pricey.

I believe the intent is to work with any of their modular objectives as everything that matters is housed in the back half of the spotter.

I believe the intent is to work with any of their modular objectives as everything that matters is housed in the back half of the spotter.

The only reason why I question the 95mm is that it's 30-70x vs the 20-60x on the 65mm & 85mm respectively

This one was 50x max, not (20-60x) so I do not know if the magnification will be the same as a non reticle unit.

I wonder if you have to use it with a certain size objective for it to subtend correctly like other spotters.
    The spotter is rotated in the mount in the pic I'm guessing the reticle is rotatable too. The lighted reticle that turns off and out of view is genius for us that want to use it for glassing game.
    I really really want but I'm really really afraid of the price of admission...

But $5k... Jeeze they are getting pricey.

No, they are getting insane. In my ongoing quest to upgrade my 20 year old spotting scope, I've looked at New Leupolds, Vortex and Swarovski. The ATX is roughly 3x the price of either the Vortex or the Leupold. I borrowed a Razor HD and an ATX so I could keep them at my house for a few days and try different lighting conditions. I had my wife and 2 friends look through them as well. Among the 4 of us, the best we could say was "the Swarovski was a LITTLE BIT sharper". Combine that with eye relief that is too small for eyeglass wearers to get a full field of view, and I just don't see spending that kind of money on it.

The general consensus of everyone that had looked through it was trying to find a setting that would prevent blooming of the reticle. I would MUCH rather have a traditional reticle with illumination. Just in case your electronics die, you still have a functional reticle.

No, they are getting insane. In my ongoing quest to upgrade my 20 year old spotting scope, I've looked at New Leupolds, Vortex and Swarovski. The ATX is roughly 3x the price of either the Vortex or the Leupold. I borrowed a Razor HD and an ATX so I could keep them at my house for a few days and try different lighting conditions. I had my wife and 2 friends look through them as well. Among the 4 of us, the best we could say was "the Swarovski was a LITTLE BIT sharper". Combine that with eye relief that is too small for eyeglass wearers to get a full field of view, and I just don't see spending that kind of money on it.

How was that at magnifications beyond 50x power? That's where I've read the swarovski wins. But then it's also not even compatible in price... But then nothing swaro makes is lol

How was that at magnifications beyond 50x power? That's where I've read the swarovski wins.

High mag and low light was the only time I could perceive much difference at all. I was using an AF optical resolution chart and trying very hard to discern the differences.

As much as I want a swarovski spotting scope I couldn't pull the trigger yesterday on the atx 95mm even with the sale they had. I just couldn't see spending that kind of money when there are alternatives such as vortex & even kowa 883 w/promar lenses that are so much less.

Its always funny to read speculations on new products.

The Spotter is called the STR and it is offered in a 80mm lens with 20-60x or 25-50x.

MSRP is $4332 and $4499.

The mounting rail system (MRS) is sold separately as well as a winged eye cup and tethered objective cap.

Its pretty amazing how they put this thing together. Jay and I saw the original prototype when it was held together MacGyver style and its a far cry from looking like that now. Swarovski has always been known for turning out some sexy stuff and this is no exception.

***Edit with tech specs***

Last edited:
    Chris,

Perhaps you can give some insight into the issue I've mentioned with a lot of the high end spotting scopes. Why in the heck do they put 17-20mm eye relief on them? Leupold has 30 and that works great with eyeglasses or shooting glasses. I'm just not that crazy about popping glasses on and off to get a full field of view through the spotter.

I'm guessing there's an optical reason for doing it, but Leupold seems to have figured out the solution about 30 years ago.

Last edited:
    $4.5k and it doesn't even have the best swarovski swarovision glass?

Pass...

Okay I got Hands on the Spotter today...

1010491_10152794635452953_3878310343038549346_n.jpg

Seriously good, and you can turn the reticle off if you want so you to use it for bird watching :) you can ...

Really nice piece of kit, and $3700 is better than $4400.

Being the reticle is holographic can you toggle from mil to moa, or do you only get one or the other.

Okay I got Hands on the Spotter today...

Really nice piece of kit, and $3700 is better than $4400.

Thanks for the picture, very nice! Reticle feature with Swarovski quality for $3,700 is fantastic! Can't wait for them to be released for sale.

Here is a full view of the reticle, it's not great, crappy iPhone pix,

10710921_10152797471402953_3755327089229992917_n.jpg

Understand it is cleaner in person, the illumination was a bit too bright so it's blurred, but you can get it nice and crispy

I'm liking the trend here. Hopefully the top-shelf manufacturers will all start to realize that optics pricing has gotten out of hand in the last five years, and the market will start correcting down again.