• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Swarovski Z6 scopes...Durability??

toader

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Curious for the guys that hunt with a Swarovski Z6...how's the durability been??

Wanted another Schmidt & Bender Polar, but they are a 6 month wait with another price increase coming....😳

Curious for the guys that hunt with a Swarovski Z6...how's the durability been??

Wanted another Schmidt & Bender Polar, but they are a 6 month wait with another price increase coming....😳
I have been exceedingly happy with mine, capped turrets, no issues. Their ballistic turret system has some plastic in it (have zeroed for a friend, didn't like the feel.)
You get swaro for the glass, it is fantastic in hunting applications. I run several and love them, but don't run them on turret-spinning guns.

I will get some hate mail here, but I think Swarovski is a bit on the fragile side, compared to S&B and Nightforce and Leupold. Then again, I am a tactical shooter, as are most of my customers. Is it okay for hunting? Probably. But, it is not built to throw down on the ground, so I suppose it depends on how you hunt. What is the quality of the optics? Pretty damn high. At least as good as S&B. We see it a lot for target shooting.

You should hear from more hunters who use this optic. I do not hunt.

I will get some hate mail here, but I think Swarovski is a bit on the fragile side, compared to S&B and Nightforce and Leupold. Then again, I am a tactical shooter, as are most of my customers. Is it okay for hunting? Probably. But, it is not built to throw down on the ground, so I suppose it depends on how you hunt. What is the quality of the optics? Pretty damn high. At least as good as S&B. We see it a lot for target shooting.

It is a hunting optic, to be sure; the question of durability was - I assumed - in that context. Z6 is nowhere near as durable as Nightforce, just looking at them side-by-side should make that obvious.
I don't baby my gear, but I also don't intentionally try to break it in the field.

If you want a scope that can also be used as a hammer, Z6 is not the right optic. If you want something that is very bright and has great image quality and easy to get behind, Z6 is a great choice. Competitive shooters want bombproof, hunters want a few extra minutes of shooting light at dawn and dusk. If you want/need both, then you should be looking at TT or ZCO, both of which I use regularly, neither of which do I want on a stalking gun that needs to be light and fast. My stalkers all wear Swaros of some favor.

Mission picks the gear, not the other way around.

I love the optical quality of Swaro but I think their scopes are probably one of the more fragile brands on the market. I am not at all saying they are junk or poorly made it is quite the opposite but they make them so freaking lightweight that they simply can’t be that robust.

How do you hunt? If it is rough terrain where you are hiking around and fall on occasion I wouldn’t want to risk it with one but if I was hunting out of a blind or something sure they would be fine.

Reactions: toader
I have a Z6i 3-18 BT and love it. Great glass and I ride around with it in my Rhino SxS. I have never lost zero or had an issue. Fall on occasion, yep. (The doctor asks this and I reply the way I hunt, yes I fall down!😂) mine is the older model with a small lever that turns the illumination on. Bad design since it sometimes turns on when I put in case. They have modified this on the newer versions.
Obviously I do not throw it down on purpose. 2nd focal plane so I don’t use for PRS or prairie dogs, but it is my go to scope for deer. I have elk hunted with it and fell a LOT in snow with no problem.

Reactions: Hegre
I agree with what has been said, so far. The Swarovski is probably not as tough as some other brands, but I don't know of any problems. It doesn't seem fragile, to me.

Swarovski's optical quality is really good, and the ballistic turret is clever and simple. To me, it is a classy and elegant scope.

Here is a lightly used Z6 3-18.

I hunt in heavy mountain terrain with z6 1-6 with rail and a standard 1.7-10. I have fallen with both scopes on to rock surfaces with a very heavy pack. They both held zero when checked and I was convinced I had wrecked the 1-6. I do not have the ballistic turrets and wonder how well they would fare in the same situation, but I don’t know- I just worry they look a bit plasticy.
While unusual in the US, I have come to like the SR rail option for hunting guns because they are extremely rugged, but they may not allow ultra low mounting particularly on picatinny setups. My PRS zco and razor never see this kind of abuse so I cannot speak for these. What I do take away from this is that my z6 scopes are much more solid than they look while I am somewhat less skilled than some at mountain terrain.

Last edited:
My fathers Z6 was sad, great optically, but it failed a very early life. I don’t think he had two boxes of 30-378 through his weatherby, before the scope shit the bed. It also did get wet, but not really submerged in a river.

Take that however you want. It was mounted in a Near mfg mount, so it wasn’t like he didn’t try.

The Zeiss V6 (100% made in Germany w/ Schott glass) is on the same level as the Swaro Z6, but probably tougher. I know the Zeiss is going to be more rugged for sure. Swaro scopes are nice, but they are fairly "dainty" when it comes to impacts and abuse, due to their focus on lightweight optics. Seen more than a few of them have to go back for repair/replace after very minor incidents that caused complete internal failures. Looking back now, I can honestly say that I don't recall having ever sent back any Zeiss scope for any reason. Maybe just coincidence, but the Conquest MC line was one of our most popular sellers for both young hunters just getting into the sport and their dad's getting them setup with some good glass right out of the gate, all the way up to 30-50 season hunters just wanting an upgrade. Sold TONS of them. And I sincerely can't recall having ever sent one single scope back to Zeiss. That's one big reason I still shoot Zeiss and Kahles on my main hunting rigs.

Pretty good timing with this thread. I've been tempting to try a swarovski with the BRH reticle. I wasn't sold on the turrets, but figure the hold overs will get my 300wsm out to 770yds.

I run a nx8 on it now and have tested it in the field.

I've been using a Z6i 3-18x50 with the BT for about 4 years now on a .280 AI. Its always tracked true and RTZ is spot on. While I agree, the BT system doesn't feel great, it has worked as advertised so far. Now, I don't beat the crap out of it but it has worked flawlessly. Obviously, the glass is superb and I love the 4W reticle. Swaro has the best illumination for hunting that I've used.

Would I take it on a mountain hunt where I might bust my ass routinely, probably not. Id use my NX8 or LRHS for that, the turrets are definitely more "robust" on those. I've never used the Z8 with the new flex turret, so I can't comment on that line.

Santee, I sure do agree with the illum and glass comment!!
Yeah, the turrets seem jicky, but they have worked. The swaros seem durable enough, but yeah, I think there are more durable choices...that weight, glass and illum, though!!!

Reactions: santee116
the 1-6 gets some use in 3 gun so they get bounced around a little and i haven't heard any complaints.

I've been using a Z6i 3-18x50 with the BT for about 4 years now on a .280 AI. Its always tracked true and RTZ is spot on. While I agree, the BT system doesn't feel great, it has worked as advertised so far. Now, I don't beat the crap out of it but it has worked flawlessly. Obviously, the glass is superb and I love the 4W reticle. Swaro has the best illumination for hunting that I've used.

Would I take it on a mountain hunt where I might bust my ass routinely, probably not. Id use my NX8 or LRHS for that, the turrets are definitely more "robust" on those. I've never used the Z8 with the new flex turret, so I can't comment on that line.
I have several NX8’s. Can you tell me how the Z6i and NX8 compare glass wise? Not talking eye box, build, turrets etc. Just glass please. I recently went through a year of looking for the best low light optic I could. Alot we’re returned
Surprisingly the NX8 was excellent in low
Light. Just looking for your opinion on the Z6 vs NX8.

I have several NX8’s. Can you tell me how the Z6i and NX8 compare glass wise? Not talking eye box, build, turrets etc. Just glass please. I recently went through a year of looking for the best low light optic I could. Alot we’re returned
Surprisingly the NX8 was excellent in low
Light. Just looking for your opinion on the Z6 vs NX8.

I have the NX8 4-32 in SFP and it does surprisingly well in low light when you back it down to the 10-16 power range. Not as quite as good as the Swaro, to be sure, but not too far off really. I haven't "tested" them side by side, so this is just from hunting experience. Also, I've never used the FFP version of the NX8, not sure how they stack up.

The Swaro is definitely "easier" to get behind and more forgiving in crunch-time, as far as overall image quality.

I run many Swarovski scopes from z3 to the z6i.. I have “in the past” run S&B and Nightforce and must say that both are tanks compared to the swarovskis.. especially the S&B but I will also say that the weight is really different. As far as Glass quality, I say hands down at low light, Swarovski takes them all. I hunt hard.. deer, elk, and black bear. I take care of my gear but I have fallen, opened door of truck to let a rifle fall out, had them get knocked over…. Never have I lost zero with Swarovski. the BT’s are a bit ehh but do work.. the case may be different with the x5i but I have no experience with that line…
Bottom line is.. I found that they perform well under harsh hunting conditions but likely not harsh abuse… I’m not sure any optic would though.. my biggest complaint would be the clamping rear flip cover. All said, I’ve sold my S&B’s and Nightforce scopes to go all Swarovsk. I’ve succeeded other than owning (2) Leupold scopes that no one seems to want.

abuse anything and it could break treat it well and it might last you a life time ( for there cost you sure should hope they would .)

As far as Glass quality, I say hands down at low light, Swarovski takes them all.
What NF and S&B are you comparing too? I ask because I’m really looking for a low light optic and I have a PMii, ATACR and a few NX8’s. So I’d like to know if the Swaro Z6 is brighter. Thanks

Again, tactical scopes are a different beast compared to hunting scopes, different considerations, different mission. If what you care about is low light, Swaro will beat those listed above - at comparable magnification ranges and objective diameters. If you want a picture as pretty as Swaro but in a tactical scope, open the wallet wide, because TT and ZCO will clean out lots of wallets.
The only exception to this rule - that I ahve experience with - is the older Hensoldt scopes, which are amazing in optical quality but also not tank-like in construction. They aren't svelte, but are also not suitable for moderate roofing-hammer work.

On what are you putting said low light optic? That too plays a big part in usability.

What NF and S&B are you comparing too? I ask because I’m really looking for a low light optic and I have a PMii, ATACR and a few NX8’s. So I’d like to know if the Swaro Z6 is brighter. Thanks
NF..nxs and bench rest
Schmidt bender PMii
At comparable magnification and Swarovski being higher at times, Swarovski light transmission is superior…

Hello Everyone. Just want to share my recent experience.
I've been using Z5 5x25 BT since 2017. Been happy with the performance and durability. A couple of month ago when I was checking my scope before the hunting season, ballistic turret stopped turning. I went to the place I bought it from and they recommended sending it back for repairs. Swarovski replied that this was completely covered by the warranty and that the repair will take a couple of month. OK so far.
In order to be able to use my main hunting rifle I bought exactly the same Z5 BT. Shot two animals with it, and on the way back from the second hunt I noticed that the turret partially extracted from Its place. I pulled it and it came off. One of the plastic tabs on the lower ring directly attached to the scope broke. Haven't contacted customer service yet, but this is frustrating for the scope of this price and reputation. Not sure if I'm ready to start shopping around for something different though.

Reactions: boatbum101
Have to agree the Swaro's are on the easy to break side . As stated above , can't be beat for clarity , brightness & low light performance . The German Zeiss come very close optically & are more robust . We've some Diatal C's & Davari's that are West German & still are quite good . Kahles are also up there optically & are tougher than the Swaros too . While not quite as good optically but tougher than a hobo turd you got Schmidt & Bender . Because they hunt at night the Euro stuff is generally bright & clear . If you're a dialer the S&B or Hensoldt .

Reactions: FuhQ
You guys that have Swarovski’s, how would you compare their Z5 3.5-18 44 to Leupold VX-5 3-15 44 for optical performance and durability in hunting situations.

Anybody have experience with this?

Apology to the OP if he views this as a hijack. My only excuse is that it seems he got a good tranche of relevant answers.

You guys that have Swarovski’s, how would you compare their Z5 3.5-18 44 to Leupold VX-5 3-15 44 for optical performance and durability in hunting situations.

Apology to the OP if he views this as a hijack. My only excuse is that it seems he got a good tranche of relevant answers.
I will take a wild guess and say they are not comparable at all in performance, other than them being similar in magnification range. I own neither, so I have no personal bias, but I’d be willing to bet the Swaro is twice the scope (optically) since it's almost twice the price ($1,299 vs. $799 on EuroOptic).

The Swaro Z5 is basically Swaro's version of the Zeiss V4. The exception is the Swaro Z5 is assembled in the USA (same as the Leupold), just like the old original Zeiss Conquest MC scopes were, and assembled from imported parts. While the new Zeiss V4 scopes are fully built in Japan by LOW with ED glass. I don't know where the Swaro glass is made, I couldn't find out that info, so not sure they're sourcing it from the "budget" line of Kahles scoops (Kahles has been owned by Zeiss since the 70's), or if they're importing it from Japan or another company in Europe? The Leupold VX-5HD just said it was made in the USA, and didn't say anything about where the glass is made.

So, honestly, i'd say a more fair comparison to the Swaro Z5 would be the Zeiss V4. Both of which are similar in price and specs, and twice the price of the Leupold.

Reactions: Baron23
I will take a wild guess and say they are not comparable at all in performance, other than them being similar in magnification range. I own neither, so I have no personal bias, but I’d be willing to bet the Swaro is twice the scope (optically) since it's almost twice the price ($1,299 vs. $799 on EuroOptic).

The Swaro Z5 is basically Swaro's version of the Zeiss V4. The exception is the Swaro Z5 is assembled in the USA (same as the Leupold), just like the old original Zeiss Conquest MC scopes were, and assembled from imported parts. While the new Zeiss V4 scopes are fully built in Japan by LOW with ED glass. I don't know where the Swaro glass is made, I couldn't find out that info, so not sure they're sourcing it from the "budget" line of Kahles scoops (Kahles has been owned by Zeiss since the 70's), or if they're importing it from Japan or another company in Europe? The Leupold VX-5HD just said it was made in the USA, and didn't say anything about where the glass is made.

So, honestly, i'd say a more fair comparison to the Swaro Z5 would be the Zeiss V4. Both of which are similar in price and specs, and twice the price of the Leupold.
I’m guessing the fact that the leupold is half as much is why he is looking for a comparison..

• Haha
I guess what i should have stated was the obvious...

If you're willing to spend $1,300 on the Z5, then go ahead and spend the $1,300 on the Z5 or V4, and don't worry about the Leupy. 😂

Leupold vx5 is shit compared to the z5 for hunting application. I’d honestly take a z3 4-12 over a vx5 3-15 I’ve had both vx5 and vx6..
trust when I say on the V’s that you are paying for magnification in lieu of functionality.. clarity.. ehh..

Leupold vx5 is shit compared to the z5 for hunting application. I’d honestly take a z3 4-12 over a vx5 3-15 I’ve had both vx5 and vx6..
trust when I say on the V’s that you are paying for magnification in lieu of functionality.. clarity.. ehh..
Thanks. That’s exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Appreciate your taking the time.

Happy Thanksgiving to you mv and yours.

I have 4, I think. They are one of the best scopes around.

The one I've beaten the most got a tilted ocular, but could still shoot and use it. Swaro repaired at zero cost, even if it was a grey import. Have used mine mainly for IPSC out to 300+ meters. I use the LD-I reticle, but also have the BRT-I and the 4L(?), the 4L I got at a really good price 2nd hand so had to buy it.

The Z6i is my reference scope for LPVO. The resolution and eyebox is magnificent.

Having written that, I changed my Z6i to a S&B 1.5-8x because I could.

Last edited:
Reactions: toader
+1 on the z3 over the VX5 . The better glass will allow you to see , eval & make a shot that wouldn't be possible with the other .
Thank you for the feedback. Yeah, I think I'm going for the Z5 3.5-18x44 with a Plex reticle. No need for ballistic turret or illumination for where/how I hunt....well, in my limited opinion. haha

Reactions: boatbum101
i just sent a Z6i in. Had it on a a 270 for about 70-80 rounds. Curious to see what they say when it comes back. The turret internally must’ve come completely apart. It wouldn’t adjust POI at all and it happened just out of nowhere.

Last edited:
I am very happy with my Swarovski Z6I 2.5-15x44 with ballistic turret.
I chose it to shave 10oz off of a .338LM for elk hunting vs my NF 3.5-15.

Complaints? (other than price!) The plastic illumination switch and caps seem VERY cheap but they do work flawlessly.
I worry that it isn't as robust as my heavier NF scopes but those fears are unfounded at this point.
I've never had a NF fail me, but I've had 2 Leupolds go bad and this is my first Swarovski.

I love the simple illuminated dot in the #4 reticle and the day vs night illumination switch.
The eyebox is amazing! It's large and very forgiving. (tough to find caps for it though-I used a Butler creek ocular cap)
The turret allows easy and fast zero changes for reasonable hunting ranges.

Optically? I compared it to a NF 3.5-15x50 and 2.5-10x32 studying resolution and color differences under different low light conditions.
I even had a huge buck wander through in nearly dark conditions providing an ideal situation for comparison! (viewing at 150 yards)

I expected them to be similar at a given exit pupil but I was wrong. The 2 larger scopes showed very obvious advantages over the 2.5-10 even at 3.5X. This irritated me a bit as I have several of the 2.5-10s and loved them!
I would have said the Swarovski was better by a nearly indistinguishable advantage over the NXS 3.5-15 and it was easily superior to the 2.5-10 on resolution of lines and shapes as well as colors.
In the daylight it wouldn't have mattered, although the bigger scopes with parallax adjustment were crisper in appearance at 150yds vs the 2.5-10. (I never noticed until they were side by side) I think the resolution level was about equal on the bigger scopes but colors were slightly easier to recognize with the ZXi.

If weight matters and or money doesn't, I would buy the ZXi.
If I'm only stand hunting and or need a "tactical" reticle, I would save a $1000 and go with a NF. (no experience with S&Bs)