• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SWAT being used to settle scores.

KYpatriot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2009
wishing i was in KY
There are now so many swat teams, being used so often with so little research, that criminal elements of the public have figured out it is easy to dupe them into raiding their adversaries. If that doesn't prove they are being overused I don't know what does. The technique is called "swatting." apparently some idiots think it is a harmless prank. Here is the link:

Msnbc story on "swatting"

Re: SWAT being used to settle scores.

It's fairly old news at this point, but if you hadn't heard of it, others might not have, either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are now so many swat teams, being used so often with so little research, that criminal elements of the public have figured out it is easy to dupe them into raiding their adversaries. If that doesn't prove they are being overused I don't know what does. </div></div>

How many SWAT teams are there? How often are they used, and what level of research is used? You say they are "overused". I'd like to see your proof of that. And not an article that shows that people can pull a prank that causes them to be activated. Actual proof that SWAT teams are "overused." This doesn't sound like proof, this sounds like your opinion.

You seem to be an expert. Share your expertise.

The problem isn't over-use. It's that most of the teams responsible for inexcusable serious mistakes (and You- Tube 'anti-instructional' videos) are of the Tier 3 variety: Those without objective standards of recruitment and retention, that assemble unsupervised for so-called 'training' an average of ten or twelve times a year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SPDSNYPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are now so many swat teams, being used so often with so little research, that criminal elements of the public have figured out it is easy to dupe them into raiding their adversaries. If that doesn't prove they are being overused I don't know what does. </div></div>

How many SWAT teams are there? How often are they used, and what level of research is used? You say they are "overused". I'd like to see your proof of that. And not an article that shows that people can pull a prank that causes them to be activated. Actual proof that SWAT teams are "overused." This doesn't sound like proof, this sounds like your opinion.

You seem to be an expert. Share your expertise. </div></div>

If you are law enforcement, then you already know that those statistics do not exist. There is plenty of circumstantial and anecdotal evidence that there is a problem, which you also know is the same kind of evidence you might use as probable cause. In fact that kind of evidence is clearly being used to justify deadly force in no-knock raids...ironic that you require a higher standard when the finger is pointed back at law enforcement.

Why don't we know how many SWAT teams there are and how and why they are used? Do you think that information would garner more or less support for SWAT? I think I know the answer. The only government institution I know of that collects information on SWAT is the state of Maryland, who was forced to do so after loosing a lawsuit from another botched raid. Even after that 2008 incident, SWAT teams were deployed over 800 times in a span of only six months...4.5 times per day and averaging 1 time per DAY in prince george county alone. The majority of these deployments was for serving warrants for non-violent offences.

So I believe there is plenty of overuse and misuse of SWAT tactics, but only Maryland actually provides the data to prove it so therefore on a national basis I do not have "proof". But then again, a patriot realizes that in a free society the burden of proof concerning governmental official acts of violence committed against the citizenry rightfully rests on government, not the citizens. So I ask you- have you proven to your community that SWAT is being used correctly and judiciously?

I have two anecdotal egregious examples just in my circle of friends and family. I could cite a hundred examples from the news. Just today the Tuscan AZ department justified shooting an innocent Marine sixty times after raiding the wrong house. Since the departments executing the raids won't release any information about them except under court order then how the hell do you expect me to collect your proof? Since the police chiefs support and defend the actions of the tactical teams about 100% of the time do we just take your word for it? If the raids are well researched as you imply, how is SWAT tricked into raids so many times that the activity has spawned the new slang "swatting"?

I don't claim to be an expert, but if you are tasked with the application of official deadly force then you are supposed to be. I have asked lots of questions. Why don't you use your expertise to answer them and prove me wrong. Shouldn't government be forced to justify their violence if we are really a free society? Why don't they?

Snitching enemies out to the authorities has been going on as long as I can remember, and I'm sure a long time before that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SPDSNYPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are now so many swat teams, being used so often with so little research, that criminal elements of the public have figured out it is easy to dupe them into raiding their adversaries. If that doesn't prove they are being overused I don't know what does. </div></div>

If you are law enforcement, then you already know that those statistics do not exist. There is plenty of circumstantial and anecdotal evidence that there is a problem, which you also know is the same kind of evidence you might use as probable cause. In fact that kind of evidence is clearly being used to justify deadly force in no-knock raids...ironic that you require a higher standard when the finger is pointed back at law enforcement.

Why don't we know how many SWAT teams there are and how and why they are used? Do you think that information would garner more or less support for SWAT? I think I know the answer. The only government institution I know of that collects information on SWAT is the state of Maryland, who was forced to do so after loosing a lawsuit from another botched raid. Even after that 2008 incident, SWAT teams were deployed over 800 times in a span of only six months...4.5 times per day and averaging 1 time per DAY in prince george county alone. The majority of these deployments was for serving warrants for non-violent offences.

So I believe there is plenty of overuse and misuse of SWAT tactics, but only Maryland actually provides the data to prove it so therefore on a national basis I do not have "proof". But then again, a patriot realizes that in a free society the burden of proof concerning governmental official acts of violence committed against the citizenry rightfully rests on government, not the citizens. So I ask you- have you proven to your community that SWAT is being used correctly and judiciously?

I have two anecdotal egregious examples just in my circle of friends and family. I could cite a hundred examples from the news. Just today the Tuscan AZ department justified shooting an innocent Marine sixty times after raiding the wrong house. Since the departments executing the raids won't release any information about them except under court order then how the hell do you expect me to collect your proof? Since the police chiefs support and defend the actions of the tactical teams about 100% of the time do we just take your word for it? If the raids are well researched as you imply, how is SWAT tricked into raids so many times that the activity has spawned the new slang "swatting"?

I don't claim to be an expert, but if you are tasked with the application of official deadly force then you are supposed to be. I have asked lots of questions. Why don't you use your expertise to answer them and prove me wrong. Shouldn't government be forced to justify their violence if we are really a free society? Why don't they?

</div></div> Damn!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yeticowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Snitching enemies out to the authorities has been going on as long as I can remember, and I'm sure a long time before that. </div></div>

Only that is not what is happening here. SWATing is when somebody calls the police and acts like they're being held at gun point or have an invader in their house or anything along those lines but gives the address/location of their target. So SWAT comes storming into a house where nothing is happening. Has nothing to do with ratting a person out.

And somehow, some will find blame with the police no doubt.

911 changed everything.
When LE depts call SWAT for a "bag" at a school, we have lost the war on terrorism.
look at New York city.
It might as well be London.
Complete over reaction to everything, soon they will be calling SWAT to raid places selling soda over 16 ounces.
imho, New York is not even part of the free US anymore, they are behind enemy lines. poor sheeple.

The terrorists have already won.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opshin556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">911 changed everything.
When LE depts call SWAT for a "bag" at a school, we have lost the war on terrorism.
look at New York city.
Complete over reaction to everything, soon they will be calling SWAT to raid places selling soda over 16 ounces.
imho, New York is not even part of the free US anymore, they are behind enemy lines. poor sheeple.

</div></div>

Ca is as bad...... Time to leave.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opshin556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">911 changed everything.
look at New York city.

</div></div>

+Infinity and citizens are now seen as terrorists.

You just need to wonder what type of training these SWAT idiots get before they raid a house...RECON the area first...

People who perpetuate the urban legend that you can call a SWAT team on someone else, or use them to 'raid an adversary' based on a single phone call, have no clue as to how SWAT units are led or deployed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People who perpetuate the urban legend that you can call a SWAT team on someone else, or use them to 'raid an adversary' based on a single phone call, have no clue as to how SWAT units are led or deployed. </div></div>

A quick internet search reveals many cases of "heavily armed police" showing up to locations where police had been called to. So maybe it's not an actual SWAT team but 'heavily armed police' is close enough.

Slapchop, people blame the police. They did not say they were at fault, they said they were going to blame them!!LOL. People get blamed for stuff all the time and it doesn't seem to matter if they did it or not people like to blame someone and it is usually someone who is convenient...

I bet Randy Weaver has an opinion on how SWAT operates.
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You just need to wonder what type of training these SWAT idiots get before they raid a house...RECON the area first... </div></div>

Probably the same kind of training you have where you feel inclined to opine on something that you obviously have zero clue about.

Research the topic at hand first ballbag.

Slapchop I am sure you would not like to be set up. I have been, in a sense, executing CAS during OIF. it wasn't on purpose, but through a series of bad circumstances and poor discretion by some commanders, we came very close to putting a bomb on friendlies...not a day goes by that I don't think about that, and we didn't even drop. I can't imagine the nightmare I'd feel if we actually had executed that mission as we were ordered. I'm sure it would be no different for a law enforcement officer who kills a "friendly" in a SWAT raid that was a case of mistaken identity or location, or that should have never been ordered to begin with based on a accurate assessment of the situation.
I'm not saying there is no place or need for SWAT, only that the use of such tactics should only be considered in extremely narrow circumstances. The danger of these no-knocks are extreme for all involved, and in my opinion are too often executed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SPDSNYPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are now so many swat teams, being used so often with so little research, that criminal elements of the public have figured out it is easy to dupe them into raiding their adversaries. If that doesn't prove they are being overused I don't know what does. </div></div>

</div></div>

Very well said sir!!!