• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Swedish M38 carbine

Mister Ridge

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 15, 2011
    Maryland
    At my LGS, there is what I believe to be the action for a Swedish M38 Carbine. I am going to try to buy it as it is dirt cheap an I have a project in mind. It is made by Husqvarna and dated 1943. I assume it is a carbine action due to the fact that it has a turned-own bolt handle, but I could be wrong. The action is complete with trigger, bolt, bottom metal, magazine, etc. I have two questions I would like answered.

1. What is the finish on the bolt? I assume that it is in-the-white steel. Like the rest of the action, it has surface rust on it. No heavy pitting but it will need cleaning to remove. I figure if it's plain steel, that I can clean the bolt my self.

2. I believe the follower was modified. I was under the impression that the bolt should not ride over an empty magazine. Am I wrong about this?

Any help would be appreciated. It's not going back to original nor am I planning on making a top shelf comp rifle out of it. Just something to tinker with.

If it's a '43 Husqvarna, then it's an M38 (I don't believe they built any other models). The bolt should be turned down and in the white. Not sure on the follower, though. I don't have as much experience with the M38, but I know the M96 would hold the bolt open when empty.

I just bought an M/38 on Wednesday! You are correct in both points 1. and 2.

Here is a photo of mine

Attachments

• M-38.JPG
      M-38.JPG
      216.3 KB · Views: 20
    Husqvarna made m/38s and m/96s. The m/96 is a tough one to find. The bolts can be found with straight or forged down handles. On these husky m/38 guns, only a few numbers will be matching. The bolt handle, sometimes the whole bolt, receiver, and sometimes buttplate are matching. Other times, parts are mismatched or do not have any numbers on them at all. You can tell if the parts are Husky made if they are marked with a tilted crown. If it's a flat based crown, it's a Carl Gustafs made part and if a "sagging bottom" crown, it's an Oberndorf made part.

Thanks for the corrections, Sean.

I was under the impression that all straight bolt M38s were actually converted M96 (M96/38). I wasn't aware that Husqvarna actually made the 96, as well.