• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWEET 16 SCOPE RECOMMENDATIONS

Hi Speed

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2006
Chester, S.C.
My sweet 16 wears an EOTECH now, but after many searches I think I owe it to myself to utilize this weapon to it's full potential. I would like to start taking more coyote's with it out to 400yds but even with the G2 3x's magnifier it would be iffy.

I use mil-dots and laser range finders and anti cant devices and crazy formulas and calculators and paper and pencils and RL650's and LOL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.................

Maybe simple should not be stupid and just get a simple, rugged, mil-dotted scope for under $500 and spend the rest on ammo for "dope" ing to X distances.

I want a Mark AR with mil-dot and side focus but there has got to be a better bargain or better scope for that price. I've never really done the LR thing with a .223. I would assume 14x would be more than enough. Any suggestions?

Price range $300-$500 Would like to stay as frugal as possible.

Re: SWEET 16 SCOPE RECOMMENDATIONS

Falcon Menace 4-14x if you want FFP.

Nikon Buckmaster 4-14x mil-dot if you want SFP, or Millet TRS-1 4-16X

I have a Falcon 4-14 and I love it. It would be plenty of magnification for 400 yards.

FWIW, I use an 3x magnifier on my EOTech and shoot to 300 yards all the time with my AR. I think that's enough magnification but will say I like more magnification if I'm shooting groups.

Are you looking at the Leupold Mark AR scope that's calibrated for the XM193 cartridge ? The one that has elevation knobs for 100, 200, ... , 500, 600 ? If so, a friend of mine told me the Nikon equivalent might have some better features for you.

My only concern with those scopes, unless you're muzzle velocity is exactly what the scope manufacturer used to create those velocities, you could be off by a fair amount. If you wanted to see how much, that'd be a simply calculation with JBM.

I love my Falcon. It's hit or miss as there are some here that have had terrible luck. Mine is great and I'm very happy with it.

With a 16" barrel I would be sure to get lower velocity but I dope all my guns at various ranges and conditions. I would like to get a lighter upper for the eotech and have the bull barrel for coyotes and an all purpose farm buddy. It is all but impossible to input dope on a dog cause they are always on the move. This is where having mildots comes in. I affectionately call it the CAROLINA DOG DOPE ING METHOD or CDDIM. It's tacticool, LOL. As in C DDIM Doggies DRT.

I like the G2 magnifier but doubt it would be the ideal 400+ yard optic. I don't harvest yotes for no reason, they kill cows/calves, yet I try to remain ethical. My big bore guns are unethical on my disabled poor cry baby shoulder.

I think I will give the falcon a try if not I might just put a vxii 3x9 duplex on and call it a day. How is the warranty on the Falcon?

I went to a local shop to check out their glass. I happened upon a "wait a minute" Nikon M-223 3-12x42 BDC 600. I took it outside along with a conquest 3-9 for a baseline as I have one, and a Mark AR. The conquest has the best glass by far but the nikon has great eye relief and the ginormous return to zero knobs. I could not pass it up for $399 so the nikon is now in the safe awaiting a Burris P.E.P.R and a Warne RAMP from Midway. I'll send one back but had to see if the ramp was worth the extra $140. I love me some warne rings. Lots of guys poke fun at me because of this but they truly are worth the torture of tightening them while keeping the scope centered.LOL

I would say something like the M223 mentioned above or the weaver 3-10. I think there is a coupon around here somewhere for 100$ off the weaver @ midwayusa.com

Which one did you prefee the Burris P.E.R.P. or Warne Ramp ? I might get the Burris because of the price but have you tested them already ?