• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes SWFA 1-4X SS

Re: SWFA 1-4X SS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c1steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they had caps for the turrets, it could be dual use. </div></div>
Agreed that a covered turret version would be preferable for some uses. However I want to point out again that these turrets are low profile and quite stiff. Getting bumped off accidentally is not a big worry with them at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Agreed that a covered turret version would be preferable for some uses. However I want to point out again that these turrets are low profile and quite stiff. Getting bumped off accidentally is not a big worry with them at all. </div></div>

Personally I like the turrets as they are right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hackit2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll Be Buying One, to put on my New Sig 556!
Thank You Sig Sauer for the $300.00 Rebate Check.
I'm Almost Halfway to my Optic!! </div></div>

That's exactly what i was going to use it for - my sig556

I like it now I just hope to be able to afford it being as it cost as much as my 10x42 HD which I really like. Maybe I can find a used one somehow.

I also hope they release the new SSALT mount soon as they said May initially.

For 3-gun there isn't really any need to have more than the center dot illuminated. Having more of the reticle illuminated will only clutter the view and drain the battery.
Like some of the posters above, I definitely prefer mils over a BDC as well.
Something else I'd also like to see in a reticle, since it's rarely worth the time to dial during a stage, would be some horizontal line, or dots, one (or half) mil to the right/left of the vertical post, to make it easier to do wind hold-offs.
Something along the lines of the new Swarovski BRT reticle.

It will be interesting to see if the SS 1-4 or the Vortex PST 1-4 is available first. I own a Vortex 6.5-20 Viper (not a PST) and an older 10X and newer 3-9 SS. All of them offer very good value for the dollar. Both have excellent warranties. Both are said to be day light visible at the higher settings. I like the looks of the SS best but $250 differential is a factor. I may just get the first one available after I see new owner feed back. Either way both of these scopes will offer some stiff competition,to current offerings by other manufactures, if the quality is consistent with current models.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It will be interesting to see if the SS 1-4 or the Vortex PST 1-4 is available first. I own a Vortex 6.5-20 Viper (not a PST) and an older 10X and newer 3-9 SS. All of them offer very good value for the dollar. Both have excellent warranties. Both are said to be day light visible at the higher settings. I like the looks of the SS best but $250 differential is a factor. I may just get the first one available after I see new owner feed back. Either way both of these scopes will offer some stiff competition,to current offerings by other manufactures, if the quality is consistent with current models.</div></div>

The Vortex PST I saw a couple of months ago was definitely not daylight visible, at least not in sunshine.
Granted, it was a prototype, so the production model might be brighter.

I dont know about anyone else but I am ready for a release date on these new SS scopes. I really cant wait to see the 4-16.

With the turrets low profile and resistant to change, that sounds like a better way to go. No worries about losing a cap and letting water or dirt inside. "Parts left out cost less and cause no service problem", from a famous GM engineer long ago.

s

I think the second focal plane is a mistake. The reticle at 1x being that thin and small will likely reduce close quarters speed. This is a 0-300 yard optic. Exposed turrets and 2FP are a needless expense in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lostinthewoods</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the <span style="text-decoration: line-through">second focal plane </span><span style="color: #FF0000">FFP</span> is a mistake. The reticle at 1x being that thin and small will likely reduce close quarters speed. This is a 0-300 yard optic. Exposed turrets and <span style="text-decoration: line-through">2FP</span><span style="color: #FF0000">FFP</span> are a needless expense in my opinion. </div></div>

psst your talking about FFP not SFP.
wink.gif

Lostinthewoods,

You will change your mind when you see the first two production reticles. No reticle I've seen, FFP or SFP, will be faster on 1X. I'll have pics uploaded soon.

How did I just now see this thread?

Pleased with the evolution of the reticle. I had a NXS 1-4 but I overspent and had to sell it. This gives me full range of adjustment and FFP mil reticle...

paying less to trade up?

I think so.

Ok folks, I took a ton of pics of the new reticles. It is my understanding that these two will are the final production designs of the first two that will be offered with the scope. A BDC type will possibly be added later, but for now these are it. The first:

PICT0119.JPG

PICT0181.JPG

PICT0123.JPG

PICT0002.JPG

This reticle is much like the last one but with the small posts in the middle solid instead of hollow. This makes it better to use on 1X with less of a "large empty center" and I find it makes it faster/easier to use on 4X as well as those hollow posts just didn't get the job done.

The next reticle is designed to be a bit faster at close range on 1X:

PICT0115.JPG

PICT0003.JPG

PICT0113.JPG

PICT0006.JPG

This particular prototype version has a bit of illumination overrun on the bottom post but that shouldn't be there for the production scopes.

I figured it would be helpful to compare these to popular comparing models:

PICT0071.JPG

PICT0078.JPG

At the range in the sun, 1X illumination off:

Shortdot:

PICT0063.JPG

NF:

PICT0054.JPG

SS:

PICT0027.JPG

Other SS:

PICT0046.JPG

With illumination:

PICT0061.JPG

PICT0051.JPG

PICT0030.JPG

PICT0041.JPG

Now for a closer range comparison. 10 yards in decent light, illumination off:

Shortdot:

PICT0173.JPG

NF:

PICT0176.JPG

SS:

PICT0169.JPG

Other SS:

PICT0165.JPG

Illumination on:

PICT0174.JPG

PICT0178.JPG

PICT0170.JPG

PICT0167.JPG

I'll take one with the large donut reticle for sure!!
One more SS to the collection.
thanx a lot, still waiting patiently for a 4-16x or more though.

Somebody hand me a rag, I just drooled all over my keyboard. I really like the bold outer part of the reticule. They use this on the 3-9 SS. Because of the FFP feature it is out of the way at higher power but "grows" toward the center at lower power. I really helps center the eye in low light and at close range.

When can we submit for pre-order ... one with the Donut is calling to me

The large circle really works. With the crosshairs, the mind has to do some thinking. With the circle it is automatic.

I forget the details, but I hope the illumination is variable.

-Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sapper524</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When can we submit for pre-order ... one with the Donut is calling to me </div></div>

+ 1 These look really interesting.

Great job on the comparison photos, I am leaning toward the donut style.
To be honest, I have never really had any interest in a low powered high dollar scope until reading this thread and seeing the pictures. In my opinion I think both SS's are better than the others.
SScott

I agree. The SS line already has a rep for durability, and(at least in the posted pics) is better than the NF and at least comparable to the S&B in regards to edge-to edge clarity. Amazing. Can't wait to see one in person. I wanted more top-end power for the glass I will be putting on my MWS, but I will likely give one of these with the donut reticle a try when it becomes available.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jolly roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree. The SS line already has a rep for durability, and(at least in the posted pics) is better than the NF and at least comparable to the S&B in regards to edge-to edge clarity. Amazing. Can't wait to see one in person. I wanted more top-end power for the glass I will be putting on my MWS, but I will likely give one of these with the donut reticle a try when it becomes available. </div></div>

Jolly:
I will be getting one of these and I will probably try it on my LMT MWS but I'm buying it for a 5.56 A4. I bought the 3-9 FFP, mil/mil Super Sniper for my MWS after having one on my M1A NM. The quality will suprise you, robut, precise and clear with all the features you want for a 7.62 DM rifle. There is a discount code on SH for this scope and there is a Lowlight review some where on the hide. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

!

I already have the 3-9 SS on a FN FAL, and it is a great scope. I may try it out on the MWS, just to see, but I am going to use the MWS as more of an all-around rifle, and also looking to keep the weight and bulk down, so I am looking at smaller scopes. I had it pretty well narrowed down to the NF 1-4 or 2.5-10x24, but this SS development has thrown a wrench in the works! I like what I see of the SS better than the NF. Add the ability to lock the knobs, and add 2x to the top end, and it would be perfect. And cost $1500, probably! Decisions, decisions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lostinthewoods</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the <span style="text-decoration: line-through">second focal plane </span><span style="color: #FF0000">FFP</span> is a mistake. The reticle at 1x being that thin and small will likely reduce close quarters speed. This is a 0-300 yard optic. Exposed turrets and <span style="text-decoration: line-through">2FP</span><span style="color: #FF0000">FFP</span> are a needless expense in my opinion. </div></div>

wink.gif
</div></div>

My fingers got ahead of my brain. You are correct. The new reicle's seem to make the FFP work but I still think it is a needless expense along with the exposed turrets. This is still a relatively short range optic.

Thanks for the pics!!! I'm glad I bumped this thread.

I was torn between a NF or just getting an ACOG as there was nothing else I really liked. That all changed after seeing these pics.

I will be more than happy to spend my $$ on either of these with a slight not to the donut reticle for 3-gun applications someday.

I hope they keep the $700 range I have heard about and if so they will dominate the competition based on the SS reputation.

I will be proud to add it to my rifle along with my 10X HD on my current RDP rifle.

If we can find out when to pre-order I will mostly likely do so now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lostinthewoods</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lostinthewoods</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the <span style="text-decoration: line-through">second focal plane </span><span style="color: #FF0000">FFP</span> is a mistake. The reticle at 1x being that thin and small will likely reduce close quarters speed. This is a 0-300 yard optic. Exposed turrets and <span style="text-decoration: line-through">2FP</span><span style="color: #FF0000">FFP</span> are a needless expense in my opinion. </div></div>

wink.gif
</div></div>

My fingers got ahead of my brain. You are correct. The new reicle's seem to make the FFP work but I still think it is a needless expense along with the exposed turrets. This is still a relatively short range optic. </div></div>

Whats your definition of short range? Six hundred yards with a 4x on steel is not to difficult.How else do you dial your dope?

Thanks for the pics Jon A.

Great job on the new reticles SWFA! Thank for listening to your customers.

I'm sold. Tell us when we can pre-order.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the pics Jon A.

Great job on the new reticles SWFA! Thank for listening to your customers.

I'm sold. Tell us when we can pre-order. </div></div>

Ditto. Please have them out before Christmas. DeeGee still doesn't know what to get his favorite brother..

Any battery life numbers on this yet?

That circle reticle is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.