• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA 10x/16x glass

KE5MUJ

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2009
New Waverly,TX
I have had a SWFA 3-9x42 in the past, but not a standard 10x or the 16x42. I have looked through several different brands and I was curious as to what the glass is comparable to in your opinion.

Re: SWFA 10x/16x glass

i have the 16x, its nice, not sure i sat it next to my other scopes in the 500 range to test though.

non matching turrets kinda suck, but no biggie..

Brother has a 16 x fixed . The glass is only fair , but it does track great . Non matching reticle and adjustments . BUT , I think you would be hard pressed to find a better scope at that pricepoint and would take mediocre glass with repeatability over nicer glass and poor tracking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 67rschev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brother has a 16 x fixed . The glass is only fair , but it does track great . Non matching reticle and adjustments . BUT , I think you would be hard pressed to find a better scope at that pricepoint and would take mediocre glass with repeatability over nicer glass and poor tracking </div></div>

Thanks. I figured glass cant be great, but I would take repeatability over nice glass at this price point.

I have 2 16x's and a few 10's The 16's are great for distances out past 100 yards and when light is bright. You have to remember the exit pupil is only 2.6mm. The sun shade helps me alot with the 16x.

I honestly use the 10x's more often....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShooterDev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">16X sucks. glass is "fair" at best and the mil-dots are WAY off scale. i have one that needs to find a new home. </div></div>

Ahhh , this make sense now . Was ranging around a 200 yard target with my ss 5-20 , and then my IOR fixed 10 , and came up with 25 yard difference between these two scopes and what my brothers fixed SS 16 and what he was calling out .

I have direct and extensive experience three SS 16X, the glass was more than fair (not great), the clicks very usable and repeatable (no great either), and the mil dot reticle was perfectly graduated (checked it against tape at 100 m).

For paper shooting, the 16X is way better than the 10X (no surprise here), for general use the 10X is obviously better.

762texan- there are some other threads on here where people have replaced their 16xSS with Vortex Vipers (non-pst) and were blown away by the improvement. both are in the same price range of $3-400ish. the Vortex gets my nod, no question. good luck-

It's alright. My Leupold rifleman ($200 scope) is a actually a little better as far as glass IMO. Seems to track fine, but I am just not impressed with anything about the one I have.

Not trying to bash the scope, I know it has a following here (that's why I bought it). I have been positive about it so far, but it'll get replaced eventually.

Edit:

I should expand a little on this. I like the scope for most of what is listed blow by TiroFijo. The areas I am not impressed with the scope are more cosmetic than functional.

The finish is thin on the edges of the turrets, and there are two small paint blobs on the tube. The metal has small dents in on the end of the parallax adjustment as does the windage adjustment. The fit and finish isn't great.

The turrets allow you to sit inbetween the lines, and I am not a fan on the way you set zero. Not a big deal. The elevation turret turns with a decent amount less resistance than the windage turret. So when it rubs agains something or gets bumped it spins. I have had to return it to 0 often in the short time i've had it.

The glass, mine is foggy in the right upper corner at 100yrds or less. The picture isn't crisp from edge to edge. It seems to clean up at longer ranges. Not a big deal again, but these things have added up to me.

However, I am sure the fucntion of the scope will be just fine, which is what really matters in the end.

The basic SS line offers:

- more than decent optics
- parallax adjustment
- mil dot reticle properly graduated
- lots of elevation and good turrets
- solid construction and good durability
- good track record and backed by SWFA (one of the best in the business)

And all the features actually WORK, and for a long time. That's why they have their well earned niche for an entry level tactical/long range scope
smile.gif

TiroFijo* do you work for swfa ? you are pitching awfully hard. do a few searches on this site. the vast majority of feedback does not support 50% of that list. thats certainly enough unrelated feedback to form a pattern.

I could care less about other people's feedback, specially if I don't know them personally... most don't know much what they are talking about. When you read stuff on the net you better weight the opinions you are getting, filter BS, propaganda, etc., how to do it is an art.

I don't work for SWFA, but have owned a couple SS scopes, and have several friends I shoot often with with similar experiences. If you desagree, fine with me.

And I don't need to "do a search" here, besides my own experience with the SS line I've been visiting almost daily (and sometimes contributing) for the last ten years, and I remember reports on the SS line pretty similar to the ones I made not only by knowledgeable sources, but the majority too
wink.gif

i have a 10x on my fn spr and for the money you cant beat them ! they are pretty damn tough and reliable! just my .02

10x on my remmy, have the rear focus and not the side focus as I heard that was a weak point to some degree. I wanted a no bs beat it up all purpose scope for my remmy 700 and it fits the bill. I wanted to spend money on stuff like a nice stock and ammo so the SS it was. I have owned mine for 6 years and no complaints, yes there are little nit picks here and there but it works for what I need enough said.

With that said some day I am going to throw a USO or Nightforce on just cause I want adjustable power and figure at that point I will buy a really nice scope.

For the price buy one if you don't like it, sell it as you will not lose much in a resale as lots of people want them. This was my thinking and I ended up liking it an keeping it. I can only speak for the 10x rear focus though as I have never seen or used any other ones.