• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA 10x42, Remington 700

Cookieman8

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 15, 2018
West Virginia
Just ordered a SWFA 10x42 for my new rem 700 in 308. I have a couple of questions.

1. What scope base do you recommend?
2. What rings are you guys using ?
3. What height rings are you using?

I'm going more budget friendly on this build.

Pictures would be awesome if you have some!!

Seekins lows would work well.

I've got a couple sets of them and they havent let me down.

The Vortex Precision Matched Rings are made my Seekins and also work well.

An aluminum base would be cheaper than a steel one, but would suffice just fine.

I’m running a badger 20 moa base, badger low rings, 10x42hd
DB019634-D150-4115-82BD-DC05C2F2AD64.jpeg

Seekins lows would work well.

I've got a couple sets of them and they havent let me down.

The Vortex Precision Matched Rings are made my Seekins and also work well.

An aluminum base would be cheaper than a steel one, but would suffice just fine.
What aluminum bases do you run? Any specific brand or length?

I've had good luck with Warne stuff. You should be able to get a Mountain Tech base and rings for a bit over $100 if you look. Check the post exchange often.

I've had good luck with Warne stuff. You should be able to get a Mountain Tech base and rings for a bit over $100 if you look. Check the post exchange often.
Thanks for the advice, just checked them out I like them a lot. How do they compare to say EGW?

Have used Badger,Seekins and swfa rings all low with same scope.Those swfa rings don't cost much and they are made well.

Just ordered a SWFA 10x42 for my new rem 700 in 308. I have a couple of questions.

For a budget friendly set up, I'd go with a warne base and rings. The ones I've used I've never had issues with. Get a 20 moa base and a set of low rings.

Reactions: Cookieman8
I've used SWFA rings with pretty good results. Although I firmly believe the Seekins, Vortex PMR, Badger, etc. are better, the SWFA have not let me down.

I'd use an EGW base.

Good scope choice.

Reactions: Cookieman8
For a budget friendly set up, I'd go with a warne base and rings. The ones I've used I've never had issues with. Get a 20 moa base and a set of low rings.
It seems as if the Warne Mountain Tech 20moa base with Warne Mountain Tech Low rings is going to be the ticket! I can't tell much of a difference between the EGW and the Warne except the EGW seems to be extended further? Both look very nice.

Anyone have any more pics of there set ups? Maybe with the Warne base and rings? Or others as well. I really appreciate all the feedback

What are your thoughts on the Weaver Tactical 4 hole rings? They are very budget friendly.

What are your thoughts on the Weaver Tactical 4 hole rings? They are very budget friendly.
I haven't personally used Weaver ones. The only experience I've had with weaver were with some cheaper bases when i was much younger and inexperienced, and they never seemed to work quite as well as others. But take that with a grain of salt, since I really didnt know what I was doing at all.

20170315_153731.jpg

Old pic, things have changed, but that's a 44mm bell, 20moa rail, and badger lows.

Reactions: xringr
I had the same setup I ran a egw base no can’t and swfa med rings, but they were too high, a low would have been great and still would have a lot of clearance. That’s about as cheap as you can go and still be pretty solid

i run Badger Steel bases and rings on all my rifles.....

I have one of those scopes on my AR 10 so probably not relevant since you’ll want low rings on a bolt gun. Anyway, I have Burris PEPR Mount.

Attachments

• 9F5351D6-3CB1-4D1C-85B5-47C3A367D731.jpeg
    9F5351D6-3CB1-4D1C-85B5-47C3A367D731.jpeg
    418.1 KB · Views: 44
I'm currently running an SWFA 10 and love it, but I'm only shooting out to 550. In the next few months I will be working my way to 1000 and beyond at some point. Do any of you guys have a cut off for dealing with mirage on mag here? 12x? 16x? I may find out the 10 is enough to see hits on steel or may not, but just wondering if it's a definitely I will want to get out of this 10 when I step up to 1k. Thanks

I am using the low SWFA rings that came with the scope on the black friday sale. I have 2 sets of them, they seem to work just fine.

The SWFA I bought years ago didn’t like the cheap rings, torqued correctly they left nice marks on the finish, not sure if the finish is the same on the newer scopes. I learned my lesson and purchased some Nightforce rings, the thought being when I upgraded from the SWFA i’d be set in the ring department. There is a bunch more choices for rings out there now, lows should work best for you.

Forgot to add my SWFA is still going strong, lives on my 6.5 Grendel gas gun now.

Have a couple of swfa scopes and the swfa rings work fine on them.Also like Seekins ring and Badger Ordnance rings.

I always used SWFA rings on SWFA scopes, and never had any issues with holding zero or ring marks.

Zuul - what torque did you use that left ring marks? The finish on the SWFA scopes is very, very tough. It's actually pretty hard to leave ring marks on it. Did you lap the rings by chance?

I'm currently running an SWFA 10 and love it, but I'm only shooting out to 550. In the next few months I will be working my way to 1000 and beyond at some point. Do any of you guys have a cut off for dealing with mirage on mag here? 12x? 16x? I may find out the 10 is enough to see hits on steel or may not, but just wondering if it's a definitely I will want to get out of this 10 when I step up to 1k. Thanks

I was using my SWFA 10x out to about 1100 all day long for a few years. With my current setup (Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21x) I find myself backing off magnification down to 12-15x or so when mirage is getting silly.

Since we're discussing an SWFA 10x on this thread, have any of you ever had an elevation turret issues on this scope? Yesterday I discovered that the base of the elevation turret (not the turret itself) of mine rotates a little when i go to turn the turret knob. I'm gonna call SWFA today and see if they'll take care of it. Cant get the video to upload but I've included a link to it below showing the issue.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0BzUKrz9SkDgi6CZNqHyc5SxQ#Broomfield,_CO

Reactions: demolitionman
I have the swfa 20x42 on two 700's. .22-250 & .30-06. Burris extreme 20 or 25 (I forget which) moa rail with vortex matched rings on both.

I put together my first centerfire build a couple years ago and was very budget minded..swfa 10x...used a weaver 10 dollar base and the 55 dollar Burris XTRs..on a 243..its been a couple years and only a several hundred rounds thru it..but have had zero issues. I still take her along whenever I go shooting. Its not the first gun I pull out and shoot...in fact it usually closes out the outing with lasts shots on target. :)

It pains me to admit, the only rings I’ve ever used that left marks and scratches on my scope tubes is Badger 30mm steel rings. Still run’em but it’d be quite an issue for scope resale I’d imagine.

I have an older ss. 20x that I have used out to 1k and on steel when mirage isn't really bad I can pick up hits on white painted steel.