• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Swfa 3-15hd

bronxmurdock1

Private
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2014
Colorado
It's coming
When, not sure but I talked to the SWFA guys and they said it will be coming out.

The company seems to listen to their customers. So, what would you recommend they do differently with the HD model versus the standard 3-15.

Wouldn't mind seeing them use the capped windage knob from ss 1-6.

I would like to see the upgraded turrets as well. Leave the current cattail. Illumination would be fun but not necessary. I love my SS 3-15. If they want to go in a different direction then they might think about a zero stop.

Lower turrets, capped windage knob. I like the 42mm objective, but 44mm would be even better. 50mm would be excessive for use on an AR style rifle, whether AR-15 or AR-308.

If they could do a zero-stop, I would be most impressed.

Lower turrets, capped windage knob. I like the 42mm objective, but 44mm would be even better. 50mm would be excessive for use on an AR style rifle, whether AR-15 or AR-308.

If they could do a zero-stop, I would be most impressed.

I agree that the smaller objective is good. 44mm would be better. 50 mm is too large.

I would really love to see it stay at least a 44mm or 42mm. That way I can still use a low nightforce unimount on my SPR.

Why not a 56 mm objective? I like a wide field of view. I would like a zero stop and a reticle with .1 mil scale somewhere for better ranging. I'm sure they'll offer an illuminated and non illuminated version. Different knurling on the magnification adjustment and easier to turn parallax nob.

It's coming
When, not sure but I talked to the SWFA guys and they said it will be coming out.

The company seems to listen to their customers. So, what would you recommend they do differently with the HD model versus the standard 3-15.

I'd be happy with it being similar to the 3-9 model except a 50mm objective and a side focus parallax. Light weight would be nice too.

Here is my list for the 3-15HD

1. Low profile 10 mil spline turrets
2. Locking diopter
3. Zero stop
4. Under 13.25 inches in length
5. Under 28 ounces in weight
6. Under $1300

Like others have mentioned I'm fine with the 42mm objective and a Christmas tree reticle would be nice. In my opinion SWFA is going to have to bring their A game. Especially with the other options that are coming out in the mid range scope market. While I haven't seen the glass quality it'll be competing directly with the Burris XTR II 3-15x.

Last edited:
Keep the 42mm obj, add a low profile elevation turret and have the option to run both a caped windage or exposed low profile turret at the users discretion... locking turrets would be nice too. I have noticed the PA is very sensitive on my two compared to the 5-20's when going from 100 to 1000... if that can be improved so it is not so sensitive, great, PROVIDED it would still allow extreme close range adjustments, if not leave it as is. I really like the mil quad reticle but a tree design would be nice, say similar to the Bushnell HDMR g2. Leave the illumination off to keep the price down and keep it priced under the 5-20 so I have a reason to buy it rather than it bigger brother.

Tall order, I know, truth is I love every thing about the 3-15 as is except for the PA sensitivity and the tall turrets.

Last edited:
A Christmas tree reticle????? That would be perfect!!!!!!

I PM'ed one of the SWFA guys on here, about a year ago, to ask him if they are going to come out with any other reticles similar to the GAP or Horus-type reticles. The answer was a defintive "no."

I love their HD line of scopes, and would sell everything I currently have if they ever changed their minds on this reticle issue.

Zero stop would be nice. Even it were simply the shim type ones on the PST or those made aftermarket for other SWFA scopes.

Also, definitely 42mm objective. There are plenty of 3-15X50mm scopes on the market already. I'd gladly take a minor hit to image quality for something more compact.

Prefer a 50mm objective, would consider one with a 44.

Take the mil-quad reticle, and if nothing else, make the lines finer within 1 mil of the center, or maybe even do an open center.

Would also like Christmas tree dots, like a Vortex EBR-2B or similar.

Capped windage knob sounds good.

Make the parallax knob larger and grippier, preferably a full dome-knob like used in most other brands on the market.

MOA/MOA with 50mm objective. The lack of MOA/MOA is why I have never purchased one....

44mm obj
<23oz
capped windage turret
lower profile 10 mil elev turret. make it larger diam vs 5x20HD so clicks are easier to distinguish (match the inner spline ct to the mils on the turret so it can always be perfectly aligned)
easier to grip power ring (need to keep it minimal profile though unlike current 3x15 rod sticking way out)
zero stop
love the mil-quad but add floating center. Also nice to add elements that allow fast target acquisition (look at the reticle on the new Bushy Elite Tactical Hunter)

2. Locking diopter
3. Zero stop
6. Under $1300

7. Under 50mm obj
8. Integral cat tail
9. Side focus

I would like to see a 44mm at least if not a 50mm obj lens.

But 10 mil turrets 5-20 style.
As for crosshair the current one does not bother me at all.
The integrated cat tail would be nice. (as in the current 3-15)
And side focus turret for me personally. ( I dont even see how they would make it other wise though)

Great news! Zero stop and 10 mil turrets like the 5-20s would be golden. I am guessing that a black friday deal would be too soon. Keep them coming SWFA and I will keep buying them.

Originally Posted by Chow89
2. Locking diopter
3. Zero stop
6. Under $1300

I really hope SWFA is listening.

Everything people are mentioning only increases price.

All I'd want is the quality and build of the 5-20... but with parallax and magnification easier to turn and the 5-20 turrets.... and keep the price as low as possible with great glass.

Of course would be nice to have parallax that focuses close up... then i'd put these on all my smaller rifles.

Everything people are mentioning only increases price.

All I'd want is the quality and build of the 5-20... but with parallax and magnification easier to turn and the 5-20 turrets.... and keep the price as low as possible with great glass.

Of course would be nice to have parallax that focuses close up... then i'd put these on all my smaller rifles.

Low profile turrets & zero stop wouldn't add much to the bottom line but would make the scope much more attractive than the vortex pst line keeping that close parallax.

Frankly what I'd love to see is an updated 5-20x50mm HD with better parallax and zoom rings... or rather MUCH EASIER to turn... if it wasn't for that, i'd still be sporting them on my rifles.

And a 3-15x44mm HD that looks like the 5-20x50mm line and not the 10x, 16x, 20x line ... yes low profile turrets for this particular application would be nice.

10 mil is all you need... zero stop is not necessary with 10 mil turrets... the key is to keep the costs down.

Oh... the mil quad is too chunky... make it thinner or give us a new reticle... the Nightforce MLR2.0 is the "perfect" reticle. :)

All the options and offerings of the 5-20 with a 42-44mm objective, FFP for sure and add zero stop even if it is shims. I would buy one ASAP. I like my 5-20 all the way around.

No 50 mm objective. It's just too big for the 3-15 in my opinion. The 50mm 5-20 is a tank on too a 20-22" rifle.

When is the 5-15 HD expected?

Man oh man I hope they do this. If they roll out a 3-15 HD built upper tier as with the 1-6, 3-9, 5-20 I'd be all over 1 or 2 of these and replace a couple lesser scopes I'm currently using. I hope they do make them but the competition is getting better and cheaper, the longer they wait the less interesting they'll be.......

No doubt about it, a SS 3-15 HD or even 3-18 HD in whatever configuration SWFA rolls out would be a winner. Let's hope they are listening!

quick and easy zero stop of sorts...
resize_image_1095328491.jpg

cell phone pick before my last match, but I would really like locking turrets... 5 or 10 mil... dont care but make the 1/10 mil marks line up, I hate that aspect of the 5-20's I own and tape on the top of the turret with .05 above/below/right/left of zero gets old.

Last edited:
A New 3-15 HD scope, blah. What is really needed is a scope for precision AR15's. An FFP 2-10x36mm or even better a 2-12x42mm with zero stop, bright illumination and a FFP reticle that can really be used at low power. Oh, and make it cheaper than Nightforce's 2.5x10 series and USO's 1.8-10's, Please...

SWFA pioneered FFP reticles in their 1-4 and 1-6 series that are eminently useful at both low and high power. There is a ready market for such a scope, if only somebody would build one. Burris took baby steps with their new 2-10, but left off the illumination and a bold reticle at 2x. Leupold has a 2-12 V6 in their stable, but left off all the parts that would make it useful on a precision semi-auto, and most of the 1-8x scopes are too damn expensive, and 8x is not a great solution for most 700-800 yd shots....