• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes SWFA 3-9x or 3-15x

Doru

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2011
Los Angeles area
Ok, I have the SWFA 5-20x. I like it, but would like something that can go down to 3x, and can probably live without the 20x.

I'm was looking at the 3-9x, but saw they have a 3-15x for $100 more.

Anyone have any hands on experience with either?

Also, I know that people usually have alternate suggestions in the same price point. I'm game, but please tell me why your suggestion is better.

Thanks.

Drew

I love my 3-9. I haven't handled a 3-15 but I did own a fixed 16 which I assume is comparable to the 3-15 at 15x. Based on that I wouldn't hesitate to choose the 3-9 over the 3-15. The "HD" SWFA scopes just feel and look better than the lower grade scopes. I much prefer the one screw splined zero setup on the "HD" models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the 3-15 as well as a few of the fixed power scopes. My only complaint about the 3-15 is the reticle is thicker than the ones in the fixed power scopes at equivalent distances - about the same as a Vortex. Other than that, I love it.

I think for 100 bucks difference in price I'd go with the 3-15 and you'd pretty much have the bases covered. Mike

I have a 3x15x42 SWFA. I sighted in with it on my new weapon in no time flat. It's a great scope for the money. Tracks well and is great for it's intended purpose. The only bummer is the set up on the dials when you get your zero. (Brass with 3 allen head screws.) The 3 power really shines for closer in shot's on game. I hunt coyotes and this helps out big time for that.

I have a straight 16x SS and have looked through the 3-15. The 3-15 was optically superior to the 16x in every way. I would not hesitate to go with the 3-15.

John

I have owned/used both extensively, these are my opinions, and others will have other opinions.

1. The turrets on the 3-9 are better, easier to reset, sturdier, and smoother.
2. Glass in the 3-9 is a bit better, but not significantly so. That is less a slight on the 3-9 than it is praise for the 3-15.
3. Both have tracked well for me, as have all my SS scopes over more than 15 years of shooting almost everything they make.
4. The power lever on the 3-15 is a welcome feature the 3-9 does not share. You can buy a "cat tail" for the 3-9, but it is a bolt-on rather than integral.
5. I'm not a huge fan of the locking ring or power changing ring on the 3-9, but it loosens with use and becomes "okay" at best, no such issue with the 3-15.
6. Both are 30mm tube, both are non-illuminated, both are well made, both have SWFA backing them completely - or "over-backing" them, if that is possible.
7. The reticle on the 3-15 can be a bit small/large at the ends of the mag range, the 3-9 seems to be good to go at all magnifications.

For pure versatility, I prefer the 3-15, it just does more stuff I care about. That said, the 3-9 is a great scope and great buy.

Last edited:
You fellas are talking me into a 3-15 now.... I think it is safe to say, that it would be hard to go wrong either way.

For shooting my rimfires, the close parallax adjustment of the 3-15 (3-9 has none) settles it for me.

They're both great scopes but I'd go for the 3-15 between the two. The design of the turrets on the 3-15 also allows the use of the zero stop shims that a couple hide members are making.

I've been using the 3-9x for a while and am very happy with it. No experience with the 3-15x. Either one will serve you well, but there are two more options to consider:

1) Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x44mm FFP with G2DMR reticle - splits the difference of magnification, slightly better glass than the SS 3-9x, made in same factory to same quality level, adjustable parallax, reticle that I like a little better. Costs around $800.

2) Weave Tactical 3-15x50mm FFP EMDR - very good glass, again made in same factory (LOW Japan), this has illumination, can be found in the low $700 range. Only drawback is reports of Weaver warranty service being mediocre. Has push-pull turrets that lock in position, and can be reset without an allen wrench.

Both of those and both SS models are good scopes.

I've run both and agree with the vast majority of the above comments. For intended 3x use, go with the 3-15x. The 3-9x tunnels a bit at the bottom end reducing the FOV advantage, or at least the one I had did a couple years ago. Precision bolt action use, out of the two, I'd go 3-15x all the way due to the parallax adjustments. For AR or hunting rifle use, the simple, light and compact 3-9x is an awesome scope.

For me, the higher top-end magnification and kick-ass parallel adjustment range on the 3-15x seals the deal.

What I'd really like would be a version of the 3-15x with the HD knobs, but I'm sure there are some inscrutable marketing or technical details that prevent such perfection from happening.

The only negative from the 3-15x vs 3-9x would be the thickness in reticle crosshair. 3x would be very thin in comparison.

For me, the higher top-end magnification and kick-ass parallel adjustment range on the 3-15x seals the deal.

What I'd really like would be a version of the 3-15x with the HD knobs, but I'm sure there are some inscrutable marketing or technical details that prevent such perfection from happening.

This. If the 3-15 had the 3-9 turret knobs I would have zero complaints. If you overtighten the allen screws you can put a little dent in the tube that they tighten down to and it can make it difficult to align with your hash marks perfectly.

I would only suggest the 3-15 if you must have the extra magnification. The 3-15 is basically a lower level model as compared to the 5-20 and the 3-9; these are considered the HD line. The 3-15 is not.
As said by others, the are all good scopes for the money just with different offerings to meet the price points.