• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA bad experiance

gol1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2008
ISRAEL
I would like to share with you a bad experience I had with SWFA
Last Friday I tried to purchase a spotting scope from the SWFA sample list after I made the purchase I received a purchase confirmation and everything seemed just fine about t two to three hours later I received an email saying that there was a problem with my credit card and if it's an International CC it's not possible to pay with it, I replied to the email about eight hours later saying I will supply an American CC, I also spoke to the customer service first thing on Monday and they said it’s OK because the order is pending, it took me three days to get the American CC due to the fact that the scope was supposed to be a surprise to him (he is a good friend of mine and wanted such a scope for long time We met 7-8 years ago before his deployment) and he is hard to get some times’ I am not so mad about the fact that they sold it but about the fact they didn’t inform me that I have limited time to supply the new CC, I am really disappointed and my surprise is also gone.
I do a lot of online purchases in the USA and it’s the

Re: SWFA bad experiance

Shalom,

I bet if you call them again and politely explain the situation, they will try and help you out on a replacement. It was probably you waiting too long for the CC # and the automated system kicked it out.

You guys are in my prayers, I know you are getting ready be hammered, even more than you are now, with all the stuff going on around you.

I wish we (the USA) would take off our gloves and clean up around there, but it will never happen in the current political, PC, koom-ba-ya world we live in.

If I can help with the scope PM me and I will be glad to help with the time difference, I'm not affiliated with them but I have done some business with them and they have always come through.

So...let's get this straight...you have decided to call out SWFA for something that is plainly YOUR OWN FAULT for failing to read the clear terms of doing business with SWFA which has had a long-time policy of NOT accepting Int'l Credit Cards for purchases, not shipping to addresses outside the USA, all in an attempt to combat credit card fraud and comply with ITAR restrictions!!

http://swfa.com/ExportPolicy.aspx

same policy applies for Sample List purchases...

http://www.samplelist.com/ExportPolicy.aspx

Furthermore...do you expect a company to just hold on to a product indefinitely for you while you attempt to find a way to pay that meets their requirements?!?! The fact is that the items on the Sample List tend to go quickly and there are more than a few ready, willing and able buyers who can comply with the clear and unambiguous terms of sale spelled out by SWFA.

I sympathize with your situation and I know what a royal pain in the rear it can be to conduct business overseas, but don't blame SWFA for a problem that is of your own making.

Did you let them know it might take a few days? They might have thought you lost interest if they didn't know.

I want to understand you are calling me a criminal for buying a gift for a friend which happens to be a us citizen and soldier and after talking to them and explaining that I will suply a US CC and that the product which is a spotting scope which anyway does not fall under itar restricions anyway and also baming me for CC Fraud
You are really getting it all wrong sorry
And anyway probably working for them

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gol1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to understand you are calling me a criminal for buying a gift for a friend which happens to be a us citizen and soldier and after talking to them and explaining that I will suply a US CC and that the product which is a spotting scope which anyway does not fall under itar restricions anyway and also baming me for CC Fraud
And anyway probably working for them </div></div>

Is English your second language? Your interpretation of ORD's post displays either a lack of understanding of the English language or an amazing level of paranoia. His post communicated no such accusations.

I have bought stuff from SWFA again and again over the last 16 years, and they do a great job of mail order retails sales.

Sometimes I pick some crappy stuff to buy from them, but that is not their fault.
They don't make the stuff that is in the box, they just re sell it.

Having owned my own business selling high-end custom mountain bikes all over the world, I can tell you that overseas transactions always made me nervous due to the high risk of fraud.

I basically had zero recourse when dealing with overseas credit cards.

SWFA is highly regarded for being a good place to do business with, understand you are not happy, but try to put yourself in their position.

I think that a short email that say if you wont supply an American CC in the next 12 hours would have put all in order but never mind I learned my lesson

I didn't call you or anyone else a criminal! I was merely saying that SWFA has a clear and long-standing policy of refusing to accept international credit cards in an effort to prevent fraud and other criminal activity, including but not limited to people trying to skirt ITAR restrictions.

Had you bothered to read their policies, you would have understood this before you attempted to place an order using an international CC. However, since you didn't bother to read that, you were told in a timely manner that SWFA would NOT accept your card and you attempted to find a US source for paying. After several days and your failure to communicate with SWFA, you finally got a US payment source, by which time the product you wanted was no longer available.

All of these things fall back on you, sir! 1) you failed to initially pay with an acceptable payment method; 2) when you communicated with SWFA re: the problem you created, you failed to establish a reasonable timeframe for paying with an acceptable payment method or otherwise following up with them in a timely manner to indicate your continued interest in the product and your continued efforts to find a US payment method; and 3) you are now blaming SWFA for your screw-ups and saying that they should have been more cooperative in helping you fix YOUR mistakes.

YOU should learn a lesson or two here from this transaction...not SWFA.

P.S. - George Orwell also said "To see what is in front of one's nose requires a constant struggle."
wink.gif

I dont see this as SWFAs fault,they have always been more than fair with me and I think if you still want to buy from them, you should work out your CC problem and then Talk with someone at SWFA instead of posting it on a forum to make them look bad.

Well, these kinds of topics are always fun! More of an "entitlement" mentality on the part of the OP than anything else, I think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gol1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to understand you are calling me a criminal for buying a gift for a friend which happens to be a us citizen and soldier and after talking to them and explaining that I will suply a US CC and that the product which is a spotting scope which anyway does not fall under itar restricions anyway and also baming me for CC Fraud
And anyway probably working for them </div></div>

Is English your second language? Your interpretation of ORD's post displays either a lack of understanding of the English language or an amazing level of paranoia. His post communicated no such accusations. </div></div>

I'm pretty sure English is his second language based on his location. In any case, CS with SWFA has been hit or miss for me. The thing that prevents me from using them is they don't post on their website whether or not a given item is in stock.

Re: SWFA policy was pretty clear

You probably could have had better luck telling them you were a Nigerian prince on the lam, and if they'd just send you the scope your emissary would transfer the royal family's money and they could keep one million dollars to cover the scope and their troubles...

Funny, I was told almost the exact same thing on an ebay sale I had. They even sent me an email from "paypal" that the money was deposited into my account. Of course I log into paypal (not using their link) to find it empty. Sneaky princes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You probably could have had better luck telling them you were a Nigerian prince on the lam, and if they'd just send you the scope your emissary would transfer the royal family's money and they could keep one million dollars to cover the scope and their troubles... </div></div>

lol!! Bravo sir...

No one is calling you a criminal sir. I think the launguage barrier is causing some confusion. Without hearing SWFA's side of the story it sounds like a miscommunication, probably on your part.

Most of us here have issues with members venting frustration towards vendors when the issue is clearly the member's fault. That being said we as a group are also quick to condem vendors when they do one of us wrong.

In the future I would read the fine print a little closer when ordering from the US. There are reasons why we must have these restrictions in place. Being from Isreal I know you of all people understand this.

Be safe and keep posting stuff here on the hide. We all get smacked around by other members now and then. Don't let it keep you from enjoying our company.

Openly calling out and accusing SWFA of malfeasance on a public forum is not kosher. Aside from the fact that SWFA has provided many of us with excellent service (I have ordered many items and been 110% satisfied), and the fact that they are well known in the industry for their customer service, they are also a major supporter of this community. If you have a problem with them, you need to resolve it with them instead of posting it up here. Posting it up on here makes you look vindictive; especially since so many of us are repeat customers of SWFA.

In this case, the problem is yours. You need to follow their business rules. You may not understand how business works in the US (my old IDF buddy Neta never understood US Commerce either), but in the US, businesses are free to take whatever protections and precautions that are necessary to protect their business. SWFA not accepting international CC orders is likely them protecting their business from fraud and excessive service fees, as well as to abide by federal regulations. It's their right. You don't have to like it, but you gotta play by their rules, which were plainly available for you to read on their website. It's not their fault, so don't take out your ignorance on them.

my last order was backordered
last item they were waiting on was a base for the scope.

I asked if we could switch the base for one that they had in stock so I could get my order....certainly they would.

course the one in stock was $10 more and the were very happy to charge me that...and not discount the shipping.I did receive the items promptly thereafter.

...I will stick with midwayUSA or Brownells....if I use SWFA it will be by phone.

One bad experience will taint you forever. those of you that have the great customer service woth good for you, Not saying they have bad CC i would think though if they an item was out of stock it would be marked so on the website instead of a recieving you confirmation tell you so.

I am actually very happy with the service I have gotten from SWFA.

I placed an order for a Bushnell 10x and TPS Rings several weeks ago. The rings were backordered. I saw this when I got the order confirmation. I asked them to send the scope and then send the rings when they came in. They told me it was no problem and they would not double charge me on shipping.

The scope arrived without delay.

A couple weeks pass and I get an email that the rings are still backordered and I can wait, substitute or cancel. I opt to wait a bit longer. Another week passes and SWFA still doesn't have the rings and has no ETA on them. I check and Midway has them for a couple bucks more and they are showing in stock. I order them from Midway. As soon as I get the order confirmation from Midway that they shipped, I emailed SWFA requesting they cancel the backorder. I get a prompt reply stating that it's canceled.

Was this a perfect transaction? Nope. I really would have liked to get the rings I originally ordered for the cheaper price and not had to wait for them.

HOWEVER the circumstances were beyond SWFA's control and they handled the matter professionally. I will have no problem purchasing from them again.

I'm just expressing my first experience with them....

if any remorse on the subject I could have ordered a different scope and and got my rings and base off Amazon for $90 cheaper or throught Midway for like $40 cheaper...why didn't I?

The scope I wanted to try since i heard so many good things about it over the other..and I didn't want to buy from 2 different retailers, 1 stop shopping....

I think i felt a bit slapped over the fact that I asked about compensatin for the BO...no reply except that my credit card would not be charged until items were ready to ship...all they had in stock was the rings and well no base or scope they don't do too much...I think if I got the shipping for free or they took care of the price diff. I'd been a bit happier with my experience...heck didn't even get a catalog with the order.

I have bought several optics from them and have been happy with all transactions.On one,I actually called on a very high end scope on the sample list at the end of their workday,the next morning it had been sold.They actually gave me a brand new one at the Sample List price,a difference of appx $300.That is integrity in my book.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Furthermore...do you expect a company to just hold on to a product indefinitely for you while you attempt to find a way to pay that meets their requirements?!?! </div></div>

Midway USA held the last Bushnell elite tactical for me that they had for almost a whole week while I got my credit card problems resolved about a 4 weeks ago. If they want your business bad enough, they will try to help you.

It doesn't sound to me like they are at fault for anything here. But it still sucks that the spotting scope was sold while you were looking for a US CC.

I would like to praise SWFA for the business they do. There is No other company I know of that will take a trade for an item a person has, sight unseen. They literally take your word for what condition that item is in. THINK about that, they take your word. That kind of business is lost on the rest of the world. SWFA may not appraise that item at what you want to get but they have always been willing to “horse trade” and that is a rare thing these days. We are all ready to condemn a product or company at the drop of a hat but very rarely do we praise one. I say call them up and see what they can do for you. In my experience with them they will set you straight if they can.

I would surely think that if you called them up and explained your situation, they would have taken care of you.

I've got some smokin' deals from them (like the AAFES Aimpoint CompM2 kit) in the past, and great service.

Just the fact that they don't carry Counter Sniper products (unlike another big optics seller) tells me a lot about the kind of business they run.

bump for swfa,i've had mutiple dealings with them (buy, trade,sell) the only problem I had, one phone call took care of it.they always have been helpful(the forum) and have a ton of good info on their site.

SWFA has always been great to me, and I've spent alot of time with them on the phone and through email. Always prompt replies and prompt service, be it for exchanges, refunds, and/or purchases

So how can I get an SWFA scope if I live in europe? I thought I cold buy the upcoming 1-6x24 via any old online dealer like you can do with almost every scope aside from ACOGs.

I have no dog in the fight, but I'll comment. Yes, it was your responsibility to know the purchasing rules of a company that you're buying from. SWFA gave you a chance to use an American CC, but you didn't communicate how long it would take for you to do so. By the way, I think they were nice even to contact you about the non excepted payment. I understand your frustration, but I don't think it was SWFA's fault.

I also think that people attacking your grammar is BS. I don't know if english is you second language, but let's see how well we do with Hebrew.

This thread is almost a year old.......
whistle.gif

HDS....Call or PM SWFA here and ask them, best way vs raising a year old thread from the dead.

No wonder I had a bad case of deja-vu when I was reading this.

Man, we need to hire ORD to answer all of our complaints.
smile.gif