• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SWFA equivalent 4x

evilcoon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2012
Farmington Hills, MI
I have a bunch of SWFA as I'm really pleased with the quality and price. Sucks they don't make a fixed 4x. Any recommendations on what's out there that's similar?

The only benefit of a fixed power scope is lower possibility of water seals being broken. It's still using the same turrets and erector, minus a mag ring and cuts into the erector.

Why not try something different/better?

Burger King may be a good burger to someone, but it doesn't mean there aren't better burgers available for a little more $

Why not try something different/better?

Burger King may be a good burger to someone, but it doesn't mean there aren't better burgers available for a little more $

Like what? Everything else in the price range or higher is Chinese junk. Even double the price price a lot is still Chinese or phillipino. You’ve gotta spend a lot more money to equal the build quality of SWFA stuff.

I haven't looked through one but the Leupold 4x28 rimfire popped to mind but it only has a duplex reticle and capped turrets that probably aren't all that great if my 2-7x33 is any indication. And the 4x28 does not have an adjustable objective much less side focus or the rear focus of the SWFA.

Are any of the prismatics in the 3x to 5x a possibility? Or is the lack of side focus a problem?

These days, if you are looking for a fixed 4x, your best bet is really a prismatic of some sort.
I happened to intensely dislike the 4x ACOG, but the 3.5x is much more up my alley.
However, there aren't many other 4x prismatics available. While I much prefer the 4x Elcan Specter OS, I think they do not make it any more.
There is a whole slew of good quality chinese-made prismatics, but most are 3x and 5x. There are a couple of 4x ones on the way, so waiting a little might be worthwhile.
Also, most prismatics are really not set up for bolt guns. Their mounting systems are intended mostly for AR-style weapons. However, there are a couple that I expect to come out next year that should be easy to adapt to more traditional guns.
I wish Brownells offered their retro 4x without a carry handle mount. It would work fine with 35mm rings. In principle, the carry handle mount looks removable, so if it might be possible to just remove it and use the scope with regular rings.

ILya