• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Swfa matches or military service

South tx

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2014
Just curious if anyone is shooting competitively with the base model 10x42 ss's. Or if anyone knows for sure any of them actually used in combat. Have searched, but turned up nothing . Thanks in advance

I shot one recently in a precision rifle course. There were times that I wished I had more magnification, which really bummer me out because I wanted to be a fixed 10x shooter for a much longer time.

I ran into trouble when we had to shoot a series of numbered targets in order. I could not read the numbers so I just kinda winged it. Ended up with 2 out of the 14 targets did not get shot at, because I had double shot 2 other targets. Whoops!

SquarePizza -- Living in NY you are allowed to own a gun???

I used to live in NYC and the Firearms Control Board was nice to let me buy a HK91 (first one shipped with UPS was stolen and when 2 ATF agents came to my door I found out organized crime was simply switching shipping labels behind the cameras) and a Mini-14 folder but then outlawed them a year later. I said the HK91 and folder were out of state but a friend of mine ignored the letter from the FCB. About a month later 6 police officers were knocking on his door and took the HK91. They said if he had received the letter from the FCB registered he would have been arrested. So much for registration.

Sorry to misdirect this link. I did have a SWFA 10X42HD mounted on my 82A1 and I found I needed more magnification for anything over 1000 yards. That is why I went to Nightforce. I might add that there is a big difference between the SWFA 10X42 and the 10X42HD besides the $500.

I maybe wrong but I think the 10X42HD has a procurement number. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:
If i remember correctly they were used on some M14s in the sandpit?

Our M14SSR's always ran a Leupold or the SFP NXS 5.5-22. I am not saying you are incorrect but being Navy (where SWFA boasts they received their contract) I haven't seen one out and about let alone on my rig.

Again, just information...

Since you here so much about them being mil spec and in some cases in service, I thought for sure someone from swfa would chime in with some info. Or at least I hoped. Makes me wonder if it's all kinda bs

Yes some M14s overseas had them mounted. As far as comps go I see people using the 16x ones for 600 yard F class at the range and doing okay. For a cheap scope they are fine, definitely much better than the plethora of Chinese shit FFP things you see everywhere.

I've shot competition with the SWFA 10x. I've also shot competition with a Sightron 10x. 200, 300 485, and 500 meters. I can't say if there was a difference but a few times I either got my match fee back or a little pin for my hat :)

I've shot our club matches with a 10x42 (non-HD). Last one I shot I got my match fee back with that scope on my 223.

I love my SWFA 10x42!! I like the clicks and fit and finish more this my Bushy G2DMR. Hell of a scope for the money.

Just curious if anyone is shooting competitively with the base model 10x42 ss's.

Competitive as in competes with it or competitive as in actually has a chance of winning? A fixed 10x scope, any fixed 10x scope, is not the best choice for a competition rifle scope. If it's what you can afford to get you out shooting then get it and go with it but if you are looking for a scope for comps then a variable in the 3-15x/4-16x is the minimum I would recommend with something in the 20-25x top end a better choice to be able to ID targets in stages and also spot.

Swfa matches or military service

I use the 20x mil on my 50 BMG and no issues thus far (over 200 rounds).

usa6anym.jpg

anusemyd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Took my SS overseas as a back up for our issued optics. It ended up on being used with no issues on an M14 we had lying around.
That's cool to know. That's the kind if experience I was wanting to know about