• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA or Bushnell ERS (not which is better)

jhr1986

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2012
SLCish, UT
Obviously the Bushnell is the far superior scope of these two but I'm still considering one or the other right now - honestly this is probably more about financial advice than scope advice. I'm ordering my first centerfire precision rifle this week (FN SPR in .308), looks like the wait time is 3-5 weeks so in the mean time I'll be gathering up accessories and reloading components but I can't decide on the optic. Ultimately my plan is for this rifle to wear a Premier or NF Beast, but I can't justify spending $3500 on a scope just yet. My plan had been to put an ERS or XRS on this rifle and upgrade to a top tier scope in a few years when I build a .223 (to which the ERS would then be moved) - that way I wouldn't be wasting time/money on a scope that I'm not going to keep and if things change and I can't upgrade at least I'd still have a pretty damn nice optic on the SPR.

The other thought that occurred to me is that by going with an SWFA SS fixed 10 power I could keep more funds liquid and still have a complete rifle to shoot and then eventually step it up to a Premier/NF. I already have one SS 10x on my .22 savage TR so I know what to expect, but I haven't shot it at over 200 yards... I had considered the bushnell 10x40 as well, but the lack of parallax adjustment worries me. I should note that I wouldn't be planning on selling the swfa/bushnell 10x40 either as I would stick them in the safe as a backup scope once they got upgraded - so still no wasting time/money on these.

I'll be using the rig 90% on steel out to 1000 yards, and no buying the cheaper scope will not allow for more money for ammo, I'll be shooting the same ammount either way. Basically boils down to 1. Enjoying a better optic or 2. Getting by with a lesser optic but having more emergency cash/liquid funds. So what would you do if you were in my shoes?