• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

swfa scopes

mosin46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
florida 32621
these were well regarded here in the past. still true? thinking about getting one for my cz 455 which i only shoot at 100-200. struggling @ 200 for sure. can move current scope elsewhere. looking @ 12x and 16x. annoying that objective isn't 48 or 50 giving 3mm or 4mm exit. in FL so dark isn't a big issue but still. mk 4 is same 40mm obj and way more $. any other ideas for fixed power? 12x prob ok. 36x competion scopes just won't do for me. mirage an issue at > 16x for me. any other brands?

I have a SWFA 3-15 on my CZ 455. The SWFA was the first scope that I purchased, it isn't the greatest glass in the world but I still like that scope every time I use it. In that class i would still recommend the SWFA brand in your choice of magnification.

Reactions: Gohring65
I've been a big proponent of SWFA scopes on all of my longrange rimfire guns. Nearly all have been upgraded to the 20x moa-quad except for our PRS/NRL guns which have a 3-15 DM reticle which i really like. Great mechanics, decent glass, lots of travel and built like a tank.

I just acquired my first Arken 6-24 SH-4 Gen-2 and have to say it's quite a step up from my SWFA scopes. Its a bit pricier at $450 but it's even beefier than the SWFA, nearly same travel and good glass. The turrets are as good as our NF S&B and Razors with very solid audible clicks and a very easy to set zero stop. I will be switching out my SWFA scopes to Arkens on my rimfires.

I think SWFA is still a good scope for the money but better technology and new companies are passing them up.

Topstrap

Last edited:
I'm a high magnification fan, as I dabbled in short and LR benchrest for a bit. My only SWFA fixed power is a 20x that I keep around for working up loads on hunting rifles. I don't think SWFA has decreased in quality. If you're looking for other fixed power scopes below the BR 36x scopes, Leupold and Weaver have made 12x, 16x, and 24x scopes. You'd have to find them on the used market tho, and they'll be more than the SWFA scopes.

With regards to blanket stating things about "SWFA glass", we really should be distinguishing between their standard and HD lines, as not to confuse of misrepresent SWFA to people who haven't gotten behind both lines.

Their standard line's glass quality compares closely with other $250-$350 scopes. The glass on these units are their weakest feature. But their tracking abilities and robustness puts them up against $1000 units easily.

The HD line has glass comparable to $700-$1200 options. Same solid tracking and robust design.
If you wanted something more bomb proof then you'll have to start looking at the NF NXS scopes. And their glass is fairly similar to the SWFA HD's.

Cheers

Standard SWFA and the HD line are made in two different factories/OEM.
Standard line, Kenco (not sure if I spelled that right)
HD line LOW
I always have at least one standard 10x in the safe. The glass isn’t outstanding, but when kept to 10-12 power it’s very usable out to 1k or more. I’d like to see them update yo 10 mil turrets and a tree reticle, but the mil quad is a very well thought out reticle in my opinion. It’s all we had years ago to get the elevation travel and reliable tracking unless we jumped up to over a 1000-1500$.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bakwa
tx for all the input. i may just decide to use 1 of my variables,leave it at 12x. the 12x SS looks doable but not having looked thru the glass,i won't know. my 1st choice would be just to use my POS spare 4-16 hawk,not my 2.5-15 midas,which can go somewhere it's features would be helpful. the hawk glass is "OK,but" like the SS is described. HDs are way more $ and i would spend that on something else if i had the $s. tx again. gonna post a spotter ? later.

Choosing between the SWFA fixed 10x, 12x and 16x for a casual target shooting scope I went with the 12x. It gives a useful increase in magnification over the 10x without losing too much FOV. Compared to the 16x, the 12x has noticeably better overall optical performance. I haven't used that scope for a couple of years now, but I don't want to let go of it - it's such a nice, simple optic. I replaced it with an Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50 when Camera Land had the Gen 1 model on closeout for @ $400.00 a few years ago. The Athlon is a more useful scope overall, but setting it at 12x there's no real improvement in IQ compared to the SWFA, and the fixed-power SWFA has a slightly better eyebox. I'll probably still have that SWFA after the Athlon gets replaced with something else.

these were well regarded here in the past. still true? thinking about getting one for my cz 455 which i only shoot at 100-200. struggling @ 200 for sure. can move current scope elsewhere. looking @ 12x and 16x. annoying that objective isn't 48 or 50 giving 3mm or 4mm exit. in FL so dark isn't a big issue but still. mk 4 is same 40mm obj and way more $. any other ideas for fixed power? 12x prob ok. 36x competion scopes just won't do for me. mirage an issue at > 16x for me. any other brands?
Been using SWFA SS scopes for about 10 years now. Never had an issue with any of mine. They're pretty damn tough. You should be happy with an SWFA.

If you're looking into adjustable magnification for around the same price range, but WAY better turrets, with a zero-stop, and first-focal plane, you should checkout the Arken SH4 Gen2 scopes. I have one of their 6-24x50 VPR MIL scopes on my .260 Rem and so far I'm liking it, and have not had any issues. Just figured I'd throw it out there since it's around the same price ranges as what you've mentioned.

I have SWFA 10X standard version on a 308, and a spare on the shelf. They have always served me well. They track reliably and are very durable. They put them on sale every black friday (cant remember the distributor in texas). I am interested in the Arken though, even though Frank didnt have much good to say about them.

I have SWFA 10X standard version on a 308, and a spare on the shelf. They have always served me well. They track reliably and are very durable. They put them on sale every black friday (cant remember the distributor in texas). I am interested in the Arken though, even though Frank didnt have much good to say about them.
I take biased opinions with a grain of salt...Especially from people who personally own and use $3,000-$5,000 scopes, and have vested interest in companies that they promote on their forum/website, and people who make top-tier stuff that pay them lots of money for site sponsorships. 😉

That being said, of course a $450 scope isn't going to compare to a $4,500 scope. But when you're used to that level of optic, it's going to be hard to give an unbiassed review and opinion of something that costs 10x less.

All I'm saying is... So far, I'm enjoying my Arken, and it's the best $450 scope I've ever owned... But It's certainly not a Nightforce as far as the glass itself goes. I can't tell you how to spend your money, all I'm saying is, if you want to give one a whirl, I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Last edited:
another reason i might go fixed 12x or just dedicate a lower level variable to 12x is that i absolutely hate FFP. so,fixed or just using 12x for a CZ 22, FP would not be a consideration. almost impossible now to buy a quality mid price (or high price) scope in sfp,moa.

another reason i might go fixed 12x or just dedicate a lower level variable to 12x is that i absolutely hate FFP. so,fixed or just using 12x for a CZ 22, FP would not be a consideration. almost impossible now to buy a quality mid price (or high price) scope in sfp,moa.
I used to hate FFP, as well, until I started using it more. Now I'm starting to enjoy the function of it.

I used to hate FFP, as well, until I started using it more. Now I'm starting to enjoy the function of it.
This is where I am now. SFP optics definitely have their uses, but I'm growing to appreciate the flexibility that FFP optics provide. Still, I don't plan on letting my 3-15x SWFA SFP go any time soon. It suits my Grendel AR perfectly, despite not having as many modern features.

Reactions: FuhQ
I use a fixed 10x SWFA on my 308 and it has been great. Picked it up off of their promo scopes on sale a number of years ago. Paid next to nothing for it.

This is where I am now. SFP optics definitely have their uses, but I'm growing to appreciate the flexibility that FFP optics provide. Still, I don't plan on letting my 3-15x SWFA SFP go any time soon. It suits my Grendel AR perfectly, despite not having as many modern features.
I did (until yesterday) have a 3-15 SWFA SS Mil-Quad DMR Scope (Rare), on my 6.5 Grendel. It’s only temporary. It will probably go back on it once the testing is done. Like you said, it serves its purpose. 👍🏼

Last edited:
Reactions: drewthebrave
I have a couple I don't use but can't get rid of... if some has a problem and wants to rule out something I use one of them or a Gen 1 razor

I have had no problems with my SWFA 10x scopes, and they'll get me on a decent contrast target at 1000 yards. They're not top tier scopes, but I have had a lot of $1000ish scopes that I absolutely hated that had stellar reputations on the internet.

When I got into precision shooting, I first got a $950 Vortex Viper PST FFP. Beyond 250 yards or so, the clarity is too poor to make shapes out. High contrast plates at 300 (black on sand background) are blurry and the edges round off. At 400, it's useless. My little $200 SWFA 10x is noticeably clearer at twice the distance. I tried Burris, other Vortex scopes, Nikon, and they were garbage in comparison to the cheapy SWFA.

Since, I've found a bunch of scopes I like more than the SWFA. But I have a lot of respect for the cheapo scope that outclassed what I was used to. I'll never sell the two I have.

ETA: the eye box is unforgiving on them. I like them for range use, but less so for shooting in the desert from awkward positions.

In staying with SWFA, to do what you are talking about doing... the 12X is the perfect one out of the bunch! FOV and eyebox is good. Quick zoom parallax to cover all the ground you are wanting to cover quickly. It's a Win-Win there.

DK

Reactions: DGD6MM and Bakwa