• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes swfa sniper scopes

sniper81

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
thinking of getting one for my 300 blk out rifle how good are they are they worth the 300 dollar price tag, looking at getting the 10x one, how would it do for hunting, i dont punch paper with my rifles i hunt with them

Sniper81, SWFA scopes are held in fairly high regard around here. While many of the models do not directly compete with the top tier alpha glass, they ALL offer a lot of bang for the buck and all are backed by SWFA's great warranty. Depending on the they type of country you hunt in, quarry you are after, and the ranges you intend to fire from, you might consider one of the variable models - SS 3-9, 3-15, 5-20 or even the 1-6. These will all cost more than $300, but depending on your uses, may be much more versatile and the variables most likely will give you a larger field of view if hunting is the primary focus. Closer in ranges with a 10X fixed might be a bitch at times. Just my .02 cents. Depending on how soon you must have a scope, SWFA sometimes runs some pretty good deals from Black Friday - Cyber Monday, or you can keep any eye out on the for sale section on here and also the SWFA sample list.FWIW, I have 3 SWFA scopes myself and have been very satisfied - 1-6, 3-9, and 5-20 and am looking at picking up another in either 3-15 or 5-20.

The "SS" scopes are pretty nice for the money. Decent glass and decent turrets. I've had a couple of the 6x scopes and they worked just fine. If $300 is your maximum budget they are probably a good bet.
If it were me though I'd save a little more money and buy the 3-9 model with the FFP Mil reticle. It's twice the money new but sometimes you see them on here used for a decent price but you are getting a lot more bang for your buck. It has variable magnification and much better turrets than the standard models.

using it for coyote hunting mostly open fields and some night time hunts got about 350 to spend on optics

The 10X side focus is a great scope for the money. I both deer hunt and coyote hunt with mine. Works great. I have hit deer as close at 75 yards and one out to 575 yards, and numerous coyotes at all different ranges. Much over 200 yards and more power would be helpful for the skinny coyotes. But I have been happy with both of mine. I do like my newer MRAD side focus 10X the best.

well the 300 blk out isnt really a long range cartridge maybe 300yds max i have a tasco 2-10 milldot on it now but dnt trust it to hold zero so i might look into the 10x one

Ops,
I missed the 300 blackout part. That scope sure be perfect for the ranges you will be shooting.

10x fixed for 300blk isn't my first choice. Because of the range of thev300blk cartridge I would feel annoyed to have to get behind a higher powered fixed optic for every shot with my 300blk & definitely would place a red dot before going that direction. If your set on magnification I would recommend a lower power variable & BDC or mil-mil reticle for calculating the bullet drop (a scope that has low end of 1x to maybe 3x power with a high quality true 1x being most preferable) as your shots will mostly be within 100-200m using the 300blk. Yes you can stretch it further (and I do - rarely) and I never feel underwhelmed by my Z6i 1-6 variable on my 300blk. A T1 red dot serves me very well on my 8" 300blk and I often find myself enjoying the weight savings and compactness of it over the glass on my 10.5.

Again, if were me looking at higher power optics for 300blk I would definitely opt for a variable that's easy to get behind the glass. Maybe the swfa 3-9 or 3-15... But then that ups the price bracket & there's a lot more competition for the perfect optic. Swfa does give tons of bang for the buck. Just my own advice so take it for whatever you feel it's worth.

Last edited:
i have a remington 700 sps so a red dot wouldnt be a good choice for me

Another vote for the 6x SWFA.

I ran one (early pre-SWFA and post-SWFA) for years on a .308 hunting rifle. It never failed me mechanically or optically, and actually worked really well in early morning low light, until I dropped the rifle and bent the objective bell. SWFA replaced without comment or hassle.

When a buddy couldn't take a shot because he couldn't see his iron sights, I had no problems at all getting on target.

I also run the 10x and 5-20x versions; both are too much (IMHO) for a hunting rifle.

JMTCW...

10x sucks for hunting. Way too much. 6x is more than I'd want, but a good compromise. I hate to say it, if $300 is max budget, I'd get a Leupold Mark AR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd get a variable for sure for a hunting rifle.
Zeiss conquest 3-9
Leupold - several options
Burris ffII 4.5-14

Conquests are amazing little hunting scopes. I've got a few myself.

10x sucks for hunting. Way too much. 6x is more than I'd want, but a good compromise. I hate to say it, if $300 is max budget, I'd get a Leupold Mark AR.

In the woods I would agree 110% Thats why I use a bolt action 44mag with ghost ring sights in the woods or brush. But he did say he would be in open fields, out to maybe 300 yards. I can say from experience that a coyote at 200 yards looks pretty darn small with a 9x scope. And at 300 yards very small. Now I do use a 3X9 on one of my deer rifles, but lot bigger target. And I do keep it set on 6x when I am walking. I have taken a few coyotes with it out to about 150 yards. Now a running coyote at less than 75 yards with a 10x scope, forget it. You will never find it in the scope in time. But I dont shoot at them if they are moving any way. It just boils down to personal preference. And what you are comfortable with.

In the woods I would agree 110% Thats why I use a bolt action 44mag with ghost ring sights in the woods or brush. But he did say he would be in open fields, out to maybe 300 yards. I can say from experience that a coyote at 200 yards looks pretty darn small with a 9x scope. And at 300 yards very small. Now I do use a 3X9 on one of my deer rifles, but lot bigger target. And I do keep it set on 6x when I am walking. I have taken a few coyotes with it out to about 150 yards. Now a running coyote at less than 75 yards with a 10x scope, forget it. You will never find it in the scope in time. But I dont shoot at them if they are moving any way. It just boils down to personal preference. And what you are comfortable with.

9x isn't enough but 10x is? Ok....share what you're smoking.

Ironically, a ton of the "10x" scopes are actually 9x or 9 and a fraction.

Truth is that fixed magnification sucks.

9x isn't enough but 10x is? Ok....share what you're smoking.

Ironically, a ton of the "10x" scopes are actually 9x or 9 and a fraction.

Truth is that fixed magnification sucks.

I agree, but one has to look at his budget. Most of the 3X9 scopes in that price range are not to great. Take my 3X9 Redfield acu range scope. Nice and clear but the adjustments are worse than a $20 walmart scope. It is next on my list to replace and throw in the trash. And at 100 yards you can tell that the 10x SS scope has more magnification than it does. Sure if I had the money I would have a nice variable power night force on every rifle I own. But that just is not going to happen. For the $ the 10X side focus SS scope works great for me. My point was that 6X for some one hunting coyotes out over 200 yards is just going to be hard to do. Or at least it would be for me. It's all a personal preference.

Last edited:
That's why everybody suggests saving more...and why I suggest the Mark AR, which is a 3-9x in his price range.

300 yard hunting he shouldn't need to touch knobs anyway.

I thought the 300 blackout had a very curved trajectory? Looks like the average drop at 300 form a 100 zero is 21in from what I found. I would want to adjust it for the long ranges with that round, but maby thats just me. Body of a coyote is pretty small top to bottom. That scope would be a good choice. Seems I read some were that you can get a custom bullet drop turret made for it, or get a blank one. Or he could just try it at different ranges and mark it for his needs. Id say your right that scope would be a good fit for the $.

The nice thing about a reticle is you can use the TMR for your holds when hunting.

He could pre-dial a 200 yard zero and be about .7 high at 100 and 1.1 low at 300. Unless he's got time to accurately range and dial, a quick hold does just fine.

Yea I cheat and make a range chart for all the places I hunt. So I can dial in really quick. But your right knowing your holds is a smart thing.

I have a 700 remington in 300 blackout and use a leupold m4 2.5 x 8 and think its plenty for the range of the blackout my eyes are not what they use to be . to be honest where I live It would be vary rare I would get a shot at a deer or coyote much past 200 yds and have found with my 110 grn barnes loads a 150 yd zero keeps me with in 3.5 inches up and down out to 200yds . I agree with everything tyler is saying about having the time to dial and focus on a moving deer or coyote.
tyler I live just north of you between marble hill and patton .