• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA SS 12x or 16x

nuclear_shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2013
I'm in the market for a new scope. Here's the deal. I've got a 300 win mag with the SS 10x on it. I think I would like to move that up to a 12x or 16x and put the 10x on a 260 rem I'm working on. I would like to stick with these scopes mainly because of the cost and performance I get out of them. Want to upgrade the 300 win mags scope because in theory I would like to push it to a mile, and with the 10x its just a little to tiny. Have had great luck with it out to 1000 though.

My question is this: while the 12x has lots of good writeups, the 16x *seems* to be be a mixed bag. Google results show some people love it, others say its dark and has lots of aberrations. So I would really like to get some feedback, especially on the 16x. It also doesn't see to be as popular a choice as the 10x and 12x. Ideally, I would have a look though other guys that run them, but I haven't come across anybody who has one. Also, really wish SWFA would offer their other models with the side parallax!

My question is this: while the 12x has lots of good writeups, the 16x *seems* to be be a mixed bag. Google results show some people love it, others say its dark and has lots of aberrations. So I would really like to get some feedback, especially on the 16x. It also doesn't see to be as popular a choice as the 10x and 12x. Ideally, I would have a look though other guys that run them, but I haven't come across anybody who has one. Also, really wish SWFA would offer their other models with the side parallax!

I had a 16x SS that I got used with a rifle I bought, and I was not happy with its glass - to me, it was dark and not very clear. Sample size of one, don't know its age or anything. I think the $299 fixed power SS scopes are a great value, but the 16x or higher may be asking too much from them.

As for side parallax - the rear parallax saves money, saves a knob, is probably more durable, and I believe (not certain) that it means one less lens in the overall design, which is a plus for clarity and light transmission.

I have a couple 10x's, a 12x, and had 16'xs and a 20x. The glass in the SS's are very good for the price point but it's not quite good enough for a scope that has to stay on 16x. The 16x will fatigue your eye very badly, they also have a smaller FOV and are more affected by mirage. The 12x is a good compromise, that's what I would recommend.

Damn, I can't imagine what the 20x is like then... The eye relief on the 10x I have is quite good, as is the glass and turrets, especially given the cost. When I get out of school I will probably upgrade all my glass, but until then, these work great!

I like my 16X, it's a good serviceable scope with lots of elevation. But with todays choices, the 12X would get the nod, without hesitation.

I have 2 - 16x and 2 - 20x and for me there all 4 are fine clarity till you use the sunshade and or kill flash and then any of them get a little blurry. If you don't need the shade or filter -- Don't use it.

I have 2 - 16x and 2 - 20x and for me there all 4 are fine clarity till you use the sunshade and or kill flash and then any of them get a little blurry. If you don't need the shade or filter -- Don't use it.

I'm unsure why a sunshade would effect clarity...

The scopes ability to gather light is greatly diminished with the shade installed. I was shooting bench at a range up north and the range had a large covered roof. I thought there was something wrong with my scope cause I couldn't clear up the focus -- just a little bit blurry. Took off the sunshade and kill flash and all was perfect. Now I shoot at my bench and its out in direct sun light and the sunshade and filter are perfect - focus clearly. When shooting in the shade -- don't use your shade.LOL

The scopes ability to gather light is greatly diminished with the shade installed. I was shooting bench at a range up north and the range had a large covered roof. I thought there was something wrong with my scope cause I couldn't clear up the focus -- just a little bit blurry. Took off the sunshade and kill flash and all was perfect. Now I shoot at my bench and its out in direct sun light and the sunshade and filter are perfect - focus clearly. When shooting in the shade -- don't use your shade.LOL

Just going to make a few points about sunshades in general. Not trying to discount your experience.

The purpose of a sunshade is to reduce off axis light from entering the objective lens. For an accurate image and to maximize the resolution and contrast of it, they are designed to physically restrict off axis light, as the only light that is important to the user is the light being reflected off the target. Manufactures spend a lot of money and r&d on lens coatings that reduce and attempt to eliminate off axis light as it is detrimental to the image. It reflects off the internals and between lenses and cause artifacts known as flair. Stray light can add to the apparent overall brightness of the image, but at the expense of contrast. There is no advantage of image brightness if contrast or resolution suffers. Lowlight performance can only be enhanced by a sunshade because they ensure that the only light entering your eye is from the target; in its full resolution and contrast, not intermixed with stray light.

So, in theory, a sunshade can only help image quality, with the only negative side being increased length of the optic.

An ARD Killflash is totally different. They do decrease image brightness and can lead to focus problems sometimes, depending on the scope and individual circumstances.

Just going to make a few points about sunshades in general. Not trying to discount your experience.

The purpose of a sunshade is to reduce off axis light from entering the objective lens. For an accurate image and to maximize the resolution and contrast of it, they are designed to physically restrict off axis light, as the only light that is important to the user is the light being reflected off the target. Manufactures spend a lot of money and r&d on lens coatings that reduce and attempt to eliminate off axis light as it is detrimental to the image. It reflects off the internals and between lenses and cause artifacts known as flair. Stray light can add to the apparent overall brightness of the image, but at the expense of contrast. There is no advantage of image brightness if contrast or resolution suffers. Lowlight performance can only be enhanced by a sunshade because they ensure that the only light entering your eye is from the target; in its full resolution and contrast, not intermixed with stray light.

So, in theory, a sunshade can only help image quality, with the only negative side being increased length of the optic.

An ARD Killflash is totally different. They do decrease image brightness and can lead to focus problems sometimes, depending on the scope and individual circumstances.

This was my impression as well. In some rare cases when you dial the max elevation you might get some problems, but I think most scopes don't have this kind of shrouding.

If going to a mile, I think you would notice more difference in the step up to 16x vice 12x. I had an old 16x and it worked well for me on my range rifle. I am sure that the newer 12x SS's are more clear than my old 16x was, but it would have been up to the task you ask of it.

I know there was a period in time where the SWFA SS's were not as good as they are today (forget the details). Is it possible the bad reports are from this time period?

My wife's rig has the fixed 16x SS on it, while mine has the 10x SS. Comparing between the two, the 16x is very picky about eye placement and relief to see a full image from edge to edge. The 10x is no problem at all and very forgiving. With that being said, both of our scopes track like a train on rails and are very repeatable.