• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA SS 3-15x42 at 2013 Sniper Challenge

jawbone144

Private
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2013
This summer I competed in the 2013 Sniper Adventure Challenge organized by Competition Dynamics out of Denver, CO. The event was held in the rugged high desert of New Mexico over the Fourth of July weekend.

I was shooting a custom-built AR-15 mounted with an SWFA SS 3-15x42 scope. I had heard lots of good things about SWFA from the shooting community, but this was my first hands-on experience with one of their scopes.

KIS9RJZ.jpg

Due to the rules of the match, bipods were now allowed for the carbine shooter. Therefore my shooting position for the fist stage was sitting cross-legged with my rifle supported on my pack between my legs. I scored a first round hit on an 8" target at 295 yards. I hit 2 more targets at 415 yards with 2 shots each and one more at 375 yards. Needless to say after that experience, I was impressed, and I trust my SWFA scope.

The folks at SWFA have produced a workhorse scope. It performed flawlessly under pretty harsh conditions. It survived both the rugged high-desert and being transported in my Eberlestock Gunslinger II pack (which is no easy task).

GaL44Mz.jpg

The scope came with SWFA's first focal plane Mil-Quad reticle. Having the reticle situated on the first focal plane made it convenient to hold for wind regardless of the power setting. After shooting with the scope I appreciate the thought processes that went into the design of the reticle. The Mil-Quad made holding for wind very straightforward; it was easy to keep track of where I was in relation to the world. The image was bright, clear, and comparable to my teammate's Nightforce.

The dope on the SS scope was spot on. The 0.10 mil clicks were crisp and solid. It never felt like I was going to bump them off setting. The turrets felt good in my hand and were easy to operate. Setting zero on the scope was easy as well. After getting dialed in, all I had to do was manipulate a couple of set screws. The only thing I would've liked to have seen in regards to this was a zero stop.

G7oYlUp.jpg

Having a side parallax knob was very convenient, as was the gradated markings (6m to infinity). It made it easy to set the distance in a tactical situation without having to mess around trying to "focus" on the fly. The throw knob on the power adjustment was also really handy. It's one of those seemingly minor details that I didn't even know I wanted, but once I had it, I didn't want to shoot without it.

Summing up, the SS 3-15x42 is an extremely rugged, easy-to-use scope. The price tag is also icing on the cake. I would not hesitate to take this scope into a real-world tactical situation.

2gIUvHJ.jpg

Review by J. Russell

If it has the word "sniper" in its name it must be good.

No seriously, good write up. I'm considering one of these or the Vortex 2.5-10x32 for my AR build. I think I'm going with Vortex beacause of the psuedo-stop and illumination.

You didn't have any issues with the turrets moving, while in and out the Eberlestock pack?

I have the 10x and a 6x mil-quad, and while I like em a good bit; I have to constantly keep an eye on the turrets. My only real complaint about the classic line.

Last edited:
I was Jawbone's teammate. I got to play with this scope while we were getting ready, and I agree it's pretty nice. The only real problem I saw was the lack of a zero stop, but another member here (Skullybones) is going to be addressing that with an add on widget he and I dreamed up the other day. I was impressed enough with it that I've purchased 3 SWFA scopes since the event.

Here we are getting ready to shoot stage two. Jawbone is seated, I'm prone to his left. He killed it, hitting all his targets and leaving me time to get off four shots.

846dff15ec14f61e8beb88bb18de0a1b_zps1905d4ae.jpg

Great review - looking forward to hearing more on this 'widget'!

Tim,

I know it is a different turret but would you have a widget for the 5-20? Also my only complaint and I run the GS II and have had the turrets roll on me.

Sully

I was Jawbone's teammate. I got to play with this scope while we were getting ready, and I agree it's pretty nice. The only real problem I saw was the lack of a zero stop, but another member here (Skullybones) is going to be addressing that with an add on widget he and I dreamed up the other day. I was impressed enough with it that I've purchased 3 SWFA scopes since the event.

Here we are getting ready to shoot stage two. Jawbone is seated, I'm prone to his left. He killed it, hitting all his targets and leaving me time to get off four shots.

846dff15ec14f61e8beb88bb18de0a1b_zps1905d4ae.jpg

I don't have a 5-20 here to measure. If one of you guys will measure the outside diameter of the turret it would help. I don't need the diameter of the cap that turns, I need the diameter of the part that's attached to the scope body.

The 5-20 turret has a 1.259" diameter at the base of the turret which is .125" tall, then steps down to 1.219" for the main body of the turret where the numbers/lines are. Hopes that helps you.

Ok, so the 5-20 is much different from all the fixed power scopes and the 3-15 which all appear to be the same. We're going to have to get our hands on one to take some dimensions.

Skullybones finished the prototype stop I asked him to make for my fixed power scopes. It's perfect. I'll post up pics or maybe start a new thread tomorrow.