• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes swfa ss 3-15x42?

stang_j_99

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2011
Bryan TX
First let me start by saying that I have no exp. with any higher end scopes. I am looking at the ss 3-15x42. Could someone explain how the turrets work. I think I understand what zero stops are. More specificly how would you get back to your zero in this scope or even something like the falcon menace. While looking at these at swfa I noticed they do not say that they are zero stop. I'm working on building my first long range gun (I also have a thread in bolt gun section) but under a super tight budget. I want a FFP scope and have heard great things about the SS scopes. Just want some explination on the turrets so I can make a good choice.

Thanks
Jason

Basically you zero the scope. Get an Allen key and loosen the 3 Allen bolts on the top of the turret and twist the turret back to zero. There's lines on the scope a vertical and several horizontal lines. Your zero will line up with the vertical line. And you use the horizontal lines as a reference to where your zero is. Mine is zeroed just above the 3rd line from the bottom. Also the horizontal lines are spaced a complete turn of turret apart.

Great glass for the money by the way.

Thanks for the reply. I figured thats how it was going to work but wasnt for sure. If i buy this scope it will put me over my budget. But I want to get good optics the first time around. Thanks again.

JAson

Jason,

Keep an eye on the Sample List on the SWFA website. The 3-15 pops up frequently for $599 and anything I have ever picked up of the Sample List has been GTG.

Sully

Do the products they put on the sample list have the same warranty as a new product?

Yep, they do. You won't regret stretching your budget to accommodate the SS. It's quality is good enough to be serviceable for years to come with the need to upgrade anytime soon. Down the road as you eventually upgrade rifles and your skills have improved you'll still get decent resale value on the SS when you are ready to step a tier or two in glass. Its one of the most reasonable options for under a grand.

There is no zero stop on the 3-15.
You can reset the turrets to zero as was explained.
Don't confuse the two.

I have a Falcon Menace 4-14 and have been very pleased, but, by all means, if you can save the scratch and get the SS 3-15, it is a superior scope and well worth the extra money

Thank you very much for the replys! Thats what I wanted to hear! I was really hoping for zerostops with this scope and looks like it will get them! I have been window shopping for some time now. I keep checking the sample list often. I belive with the zero stop kit for the SS scope its a sure deal! Thanks again guys! I am super stoked now!

This scope is pretty easy to get behind. I wish the turrets were a bit shorter like the SS 3-9. Otherwise, I'm so much happier having it than scopes that had better glass (it's no slouch) but cost 3X as much. SWFA will also be selling the zero stop inserts so that's an approved modification. Since the rev marks are on there anyway, it's not like Compact NXS turrets where zero stop is something I'd never do without.

With all of the poistive feedback on this scope I think its a no brainer to purchase. Anyone have dislikes about it?

Anyone have dislikes about it?

Yes - the little screw-in "tit" that serves as a cattail for the zoom ring doesn't work well on bolt guns (I find myself catching it with my knuckles when running the bolt). It took approximately 15 seconds to fix this issue.

Seriously, it's a spectacular scope for the money - one of the best values I've found in the optics market.

Yea I had heard somewhere that the "cat tail" could get in the way on some bolt gums also. Isn't it removable? What was your fix for it E.Bryant? I'm a mechanic by trade so I beat the crap out of my knuckles enough as it is..lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yep - the cattail lever unscrews. It's a nice feature, but it needs a couple of alternative mounting locations to be used with bolt guns.

The fact that this is my only gripe with the scope should be some sort of indication.

With all of the poistive feedback on this scope I think its a no brainer to purchase. Anyone have dislikes about it?

My only complaint is I wish it had splined turrets like the HD models. Its just personal preference and in no way a deal breaker.

My only complaint is I wish it had splined turrets like the HD models.

A low-profile turret (such as those on the Nightforce Compact models) would be abso-fucking-lutely perfect on this type of scope. But now I'm just getting picky.

Well I'm super stoked about getting one. Will be ordering soon I hope! Hoping to find one on the sample list or used. This would help offset the budget issue. Also since they are in tx I will have to pay taxes on it also.....

I know there's one in the f/s section just don't have the cash yet......

One other positive about SWFA is they have a great trade in program. I have used them several times and they will give you good value for your trade if you decide to upgrade later.
Get the SWFA you will not regret it.

On a positive note, the parallax adjustment goes down to 6m (~20 ft). Nice for indoor dry firing.

And on the particular example that I own, I've found that it'll actually focus down to 14-15 feet at maximum zoom.

You won't regret blowing your budget for this scope. I only wish it had the same turrets as the 5-20hd and the cat tail was mounted differently but as stated above I'm just being picky. SWFA for the win!

Ok so with busting the budget on the scope, what's the real world diffrence in rings and bases? I can only afford Burris xtr or like swfa. And a weaver 20 moa base. Would love to get seekins but........ain't got the scratch. Hell I'm going to have use the factory stock on the sps tactical that I'm getting for a month or so. Will these rings and base work? Are the others really worth the extra coin?

I've had good luck with Egw bases and Tps rings for a medium cost solution for a non-magnum rifle. I had the Burris xtr rings and did not like them due to their large size.

Swfa SS is probably one of the best high value scope for a budget build. Only thing that lacks is the glass, however its like getting a vizio vs samsung led tv. It serves its fuction you pay significantly less than the "better scopes" and you will be happy either way.

Ive just upgraded my scope and sold my Swfa, however I have no doubt that I will be purchasing another in the future.

Fyi, i mounted my scope with butler creek caps on 20moa base and low rings (0.80inches) and still had about 6mm of clearance on my savage 10 heavy barrel.

So i found a 700 sps tac for 499.00 on gunbroker and order it. Im going to order the scope new from swfa. Could somene confirm the ring hight. I have low rings in the shopping cart but am worried about fitment? The budget is down to the penny. Having to go with ss scope rings for the time being.

So i found a 700 sps tac for 499.00 on gunbroker and order it. Im going to order the scope new from swfa. Could somene confirm the ring hight. I have low rings in the shopping cart but am worried about fitment? The budget is down to the penny. Having to go with ss scope rings for the time being.

Yes, low.

I got my scope today all I can say is Im glad I spent the extra money so far. Feels very nice, very clear (to me) and I love it. Thanks for the input guys!!