• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes SWFA SS 5-20x50 HD Picture thread.......

Re: SWFA SS 5-20x50 HD Picture thread.......

I'm in love with Jon's Aadland rings! Thanks for machining a terrific product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice!

I snapped a few more recently:

DeerCenter.jpg
</div></div>

Jon,

Fish & Game would like a word regarding your interpretation and implementation of their cervidae birth control & sterilization program-- your method pictured above, while effective, deviates from the "spirit" of the program.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kiba</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice!

I snapped a few more recently:

DeerCenter.jpg
</div></div>

Jon,

Fish & Game would like a word regarding your interpretation and implementation of their cervidae birth control & sterilization program-- your method pictured above, while effective, deviates from the "spirit" of the program. </div></div>LMFAO.i was thinking the same thing,here in indiana ,we shoot for the vitals.they're brutal in Wa,the shoot the damn peckers off.makes it hard to hunt the rut!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bizill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm in love with Jon's Aadland rings! Thanks for machining a terrific product. </div></div>
I'm glad you like them! They look great on your rifle!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kiba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jon,

Fish & Game would like a word regarding.....</div></div>
Actually I'm working for a rogue division of the Montana Fish & Game. I'm doing biological research on the effects of castration on antler growth. Rumors are large, crazy non-typical racks will result. And since affected deer won't be "caught with it hanging out" during the rut, this group should be exceptionally challenging to hunt. Special tags could rate large sums of money from hunters that want the ultimate whitetail challenge....

Or maybe it's just hard to hold the damn thing steady while taking a picture at the same time.
wink.gif

So, I was one of the brats that kept asking if there will be a sunshade for the SWFA 5-20 and yes, they are in the works. No ETA. So in the meantime I ventured back over to SWFA's website and ordered up the Weaver Super Slam 4" x 50 mm objective sunshade.

There are some pictures posted by a few others that show the Weaver on the SS but not close up enough. One member here did mention that if SWFA told him the Weaver was OEM for the SS that he'd believe it. That statement was good enough for me to take the plunge.

To my eyes I too agree that it does get close enough to looking as though it's an OEM. I'd venture to say by about 95%. Outside dimension is about exact. Color and finish are where the 5% differential comes in. At any rate, GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!

Some pics...

IMG_5774.jpg

IMG_5765.jpg

IMG_5764.jpg

IMG_5758.jpg

IMG_5756.jpg

IMG_5768.jpg

IMG_5763.jpg

IMG_5773.jpg

IMG_5767.jpg

Needless to say, it's worth the measly $35 + some shipping. And when they release their purpose-built shade, I may just get that as well. But I'm pretty content with this Weaver as is.

missed out on the group buy, sadly. anyone get an extra interested in selling?

Just got done mounting. Sunshade comes in tomorrow. First long range build so feel free to give me some constructive suggestions.
b7e6b531.jpg
1878c6d5.jpg
a325af4e.jpg
2010b2dd.jpg

Does anybody know it the vortex 50mm sunshade will work on the SS?

The correct shade will have a thread of M56-0.75 with an O.D. of 60mm. There are some cheap ones with 59mm O.D. but the step down makes it look rather ugly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What Jason? I post two up so you gotta post three? That's war right there.

HOUSEPICS2011013.jpg
</div></div>

Boone, may I ask where did you get those "sleeves" on the sling?

I bet you did this to avoid the noise the buckles makes when hitting the stock/barrel, right? I have the same problem.

Thanks,

LRCampos.

Spotter666 sent you a pm.......... Info on your rifle question.

Aron-

Pics are not very good (cell phone pics) but here is the scope mocked up on my build.

308.JPG

308_2.JPG

Left work early today to meet the UPS guy and mount some optics. Bad morning at work but great afternoon at home!

9162.jpg

From left to right:

Marlin 917 .17hmr varmint blaster
Remington 700 VS-SF II .223 varmint blaster
Ted Brown built LRB M25 with all USGI TRW parts
24" AR-15 varmint blaster
24" AR-10

The remaining two scopes will have homes on a Sako Quad and an AI AE Mk2 in 6.5 Creedmoor that are both on the way.

Thanks again Frank & SWFA for running the promotion even if it did put a big dent in my wallet.
grin.gif

DAMMMMMNN !!!!!!!!!! O.O wish I could of done that! Thanks for sharing.

Aron-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kiba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Left work early today to meet the UPS guy and mount some optics. Bad morning at work but great afternoon at home!

9162.jpg

From left to right:

Marlin 917 .17hmr varmint blaster
Remington 700 VS-SF II .223 varmint blaster
Ted Brown built LRB M25 with all USGI TRW parts
24" AR-15 varmint blaster
24" AR-10

The remaining two scopes will have homes on a Sako Quad and an AI AE Mk2 in 6.5 Creedmore that are both on the way.

Thanks again Frank & SWFA for running the promotion even if it did put a big dent in my wallet.
grin.gif
</div></div>

If I was you I would be calling in sick today and heading to the range.

7 scopes for the price of two, you sir are a smart man.

Kicking myself a bit for not ordering 2 more, but the first hasn't arrived yet so no big deal.

What more can you ask for? These scopes fit so many purposes at such a good price point. I just cant justify spending double the price anymore

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DustyJacket</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
rem700sps_fluting.jpg
</div></div>

Got my Switchview today.
It fits perfectly.
it is the same matte gray as my scope base and rings, not the semigloss black of the scope.

switchview.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DustyJacket</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DustyJacket</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
rem700sps_fluting.jpg
</div></div>

Got my Switchview today.
It fits perfectly.
it is the same matte gray as my scope base and rings, not the semigloss black of the scope.

switchview.jpg
</div></div>

Thoughts? Money well spent? I said I'd be getting one, but money is tight right now so I have to conserve awhile.

Oh yeah.
That zoom ring is stiff. With the lever it is so easy. Plus you won't accidentally try the focus locking ring.

Still, I think it is a little pricey for what it is. I would have thought $25 or $30 - but demand may be low for a new tooling setup......

I was testing some (new to me) ammo with this scope. I'm happy with it.

Finally got it onto a nice upper and out to the range today.

newuppr.jpg

FNSPR.jpg

Seekins low rings on a factory 20MOA base

scope-clearance.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DanielW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
FNSPR.jpg

Seekins low rings on a factory 20MOA base

scope-clearance.jpg
</div></div>

This is the same set up that I want.

My rifle is at my smith, so I mounted it to my son's rifle. Damn thing actually had a picatinny style scope mount!

DSC08936.jpg

First group, @100"!! The flyer was the first shot.
wink.gif
Adjusted off that and it was dead on...

DSC08938.jpg

hahahahaha That some nice pics there hahahaha

Aron-

Nerf sniper, lol. Just leave it on there and buy yourself another one.

Guys, here are a few visual aids that I added to the scope.
With 10 mils per revolution there is really no need for having problems, BUT, during a match my brain sometimes goes to mush.
I used a Paint marker to make my zero bold, and I used the tape from my labeling machine to create a white line on my zero revolution.

SScott
003-7.jpg

005-3.jpg

Here is a pic of mine. Also everyone with the cat tail does it get int the way of the bolt handle at all? thanks
002.jpg

My second one arrived on Monday and I was able to get out to the range to sight them in this morning. The first one is mounted on a 700 5-R and the second one is mounted on an AR-10NM rifle:

rifles_s.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engineer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My second one arrived on Monday and I was able to get out to the range to sight them in this morning. The first one is mounted on a 700 5-R and the second one is mounted on an AR-10NM rifle:

rifles_s.jpg
</div></div>

Very cool, what rings are on the AR-10?

Here is my new 5-20x50 HD non illuminated on my Remmy .308 win.

DSC02518.jpg

DSC02519.jpg

DSC02529.jpg

And here I have my whole collection
smile.gif
of SWFA HD model scopes.

DSC02532.jpg

DSC02539.jpg

Aron-

Is anyone else using an XLR and a 20MOA base with this scope? I'm trying to figure out what height of rings I need. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlackFlag79</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is anyone else using an XLR and a 20MOA base with this scope? I'm trying to figure out what height of rings I need. Thanks.</div></div>

I would have to say you need high rings to make it work. Mediums might work but the way I see a XLR stock handguard sit above the barrel even mediums might not work. Also what brand of rings you plan on using ?

Aron-

I was using Medium Leupold Mark IV rings with a Nightforce 20MOA base. This was when I had my 700 5R in a police stock and was using a SWFA 10x42.

After putting the XLR on, the Medium rings won't even work with the 10x42, so I wasn't sure if switching to High rings when going to the larger scope would even be enough.

I'm hoping it would be and I wouldn't have to go all the way to Super High.

I'm pretty flexible about the ring brand... Leupold is just what I chose when building my first rifle.

Thanks for your help, winxp.

Well its either the high Leupold rings with are .4525" (measured from base of ring to bottom of scope tube).

Or the super high which are .7925" also measured from the base of the ring to the bottom of the scope tube.

The medium rings come in at .2404". That is a no go if your running a 20MOA base and trying a scope that has the out side diameter of 63mm roughly if I remember correctly.

Aron-

My new blackout scope, first 200 yard group after zeroing at 100.

393246_10150412476677880_749407879_8520923_1218084153_n.jpg

Figured I'd add mine here too. Can't wait to try out my blackout SS!

IMG_2230.jpg

IMG_2229.jpg

Got my rifle back yesterday, new Bartlein, trued action, heavier recoil lug, installed Atlasworx DBM and then I attached my new SS 5 - 20 HD with Badger USMC DMR rings. Taking it to the range this Sunday!

IMG-20111214-00304.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Analyzing the eye box pre-mounted is nothing compared to the guy that came in yesterday.

He purchased a 1.5-4.5x24 Barska and brought it back because it had tunnel vision, poor eye relief and was not magnifying objects it was making objects look smaller and further away than they really were.

We just told him to turn the scope around and look through the other end and viola just like magic all of his problems with the scope were solved.</div></div>

I know this is bumping an old post, but he did buy a Barska--all that optical misbehavior might be completely expected for one of them...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kaptain86</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engineer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My second one arrived on Monday and I was able to get out to the range to sight them in this morning. The first one is mounted on a 700 5-R and the second one is mounted on an AR-10NM rifle:

</div></div>

Very cool, what rings are on the AR-10? </div></div>

Badger Ordnance Ultra High rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engineer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kaptain86</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engineer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My second one arrived on Monday and I was able to get out to the range to sight them in this morning. The first one is mounted on a 700 5-R and the second one is mounted on an AR-10NM rifle:

</div></div>

Very cool, what rings are on the AR-10? </div></div>

Badger Ordnance Ultra High rings. </div></div>

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xdguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
rem700wSS0011.jpg

rem700wSS0027.jpg

rem700wSS0081.jpg

rem700wSS0085.jpg

rem700wSS0067.jpg

CIMG0062.jpg

I pulled it a little on the upper left of the box test, but I'm 100% sure that was me, not the scope. POA was the lower right on all 4 shots. Unfortunately, It's not uncommon for me to pull 1 of every 5.
frown.gif
</div></div>

Is your SWFA 5-20 mounted on low or medium rings on your 700?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bizill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CL1KKL4C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">new fkn rule at my house..

the wife can't order anything that comes in a box the general size of a rifle scope... what a dissapointing suprise that turned out not to be..fkn hair iron..really? </div></div>

damn, brother. that made me LOL right there! been there, done that as well. women, "honey, UPS just dropped of the package you told me to watch out for." then it's just her Mary Friggin' Kay. </div></div>

LoL!!!!!! That's me all the way down to the "Mary Friggen' Kay"!!!!