• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes swfa ss vs falcon menace

7mmVertigo

Private
Minuteman
so im in the market for a new scope for my 250 i dont need anything rediculous mostly for yotes and steel. im looking at falcon or swfa. based on what im reading they are pretty damn close in build quality and features only thing i can find is the swfa tends to have more elevation adn travel available for the longer shots if i want. my big question is how is the zero reliability of each and even bigger how is the glass quality of each i know they are both jap glass but which is better and by how large of a margin? Please dont recommend any other scope at this time im only looking on info on these 2 brands. Im looking for you guys who have experience in both to sell me on one for suade me away from one. either way one of these brands will ne on top of my rifle by months end. thank you

safe shooting
scott

As an owner of a Falcon Menace, my vote would be SWFA. Don't get me wrong, the Menace has been nothing but good to me (tracks fine, holds zero, etc), but I think the SWFA has it beat in every aspect. Of course, I believe the SWFA is pricier, so it's superiority is to be expected. Which ever way you decide, I'd check out the EE here first as there are great deals to be had on the boards. Good luck.

thats about what i figured it was going to be i was just hoping falcon had stepped it up a bit to meet or exceed swfa a bit. thank you.
As an owner of a Falcon Menace, my vote would be SWFA. Don't get me wrong, the Menace has been nothing but good to me (tracks fine, holds zero, etc), but I think the SWFA has it beat in every aspect. Of course, I believe the SWFA is pricier, so it's superiority is to be expected. Which ever way you decide, I'd check out the EE here first as there are great deals to be had on the boards. Good luck.

thats about what i figured it was going to be i was just hoping falcon had stepped it up a bit to meet or exceed swfa a bit. thank you.

To be fair to Falcon, my 4-14 is a few years old, so I have no idea how the newer ones are built. But given that SWFA is known for their great warranty and Falcon not so much, that'd be a deciding factor for me. To reiterate tho, the Falcon Menace that I have has worked perfectly fine and done everything that I've asked of it.

It depends on which ss scope you were looking at.
I have a falcon 4-14, I've had it for several years and it has performed exceptionally well.

But consider that the falcon is made in china, the ss in japan.

You can probably actually find a Falcon in stock, which is something to consider if you're in a hurry.

Which SS are you referring to? The fixed power line correct? I have several of the fixed power SS in 10x and 12x and really like them. I have the Falcon Menace in 5.5-25 and have not been too thrilled with it to be honest. The image appears very milky on any magnification over about the 15x range. It's a usable scope, but I'd go with the SS from my experience.

If you're considering the 4-14x44 model Falcon, I'd save the $110 and get the identical scope marketed by BSA from Midwayusa:
BSA Tactical Mil-Mil Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4-14x 44mm Side Focus 1/10
Primary arms has a very similar scope for even cheaper yet (4-14x44) but with 18mils of elevation instead of the 26 mils in the Falcon/BSA: https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-4-14X44-FFP-Scope-p/pa4-14xffp.htm These are all useable scopes on a budget. If fixed power would work for you though, I think the SS will have more consistent quality control and may be generally a little more robust. Plenty of happy users of both. Since you'll be hunting, I'd say you'll probably want to stay with the 10x SS (I love the 6x), maybe the 12x. Noting else in the price range will touch the 36 mils of elev found in the SS. But, definitely something to be said for a variable optic in a hunting role.

If you're considering the 4-14x44 model Falcon, I'd save the $110 and get the identical scope marketed by BSA from Midwayusa:
BSA Tactical Mil-Mil Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4-14x 44mm Side Focus 1/10
Primary arms has a very similar scope for even cheaper yet (4-14x44) but with 18mils of elevation instead of the 26 mils in the Falcon/BSA: https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-4-14X44-FFP-Scope-p/pa4-14xffp.htm These are all useable scopes on a budget. If fixed power would work for you though, I think the SS will have more consistent quality control and may be generally a little more robust. Plenty of happy users of both. Since you'll be hunting, I'd say you'll probably want to stay with the 10x SS (I love the 6x), maybe the 12x. Noting else in the price range will touch the 36 mils of elev found in the SS. But, definitely something to be said for a variable optic in a hunting role.

so im gonna go ahead ahead and go with the ss 3-15x42. im reading nothing but good things about them and since a couple of "questionable" aspects have arrised in regards to falcon im gonna have to pass. Thank you everyone for your input... i really had hoped that falcon had stepped it up in the last couple years. some things just dont change. im reading a lot about poor glass quality and canted reticles. "aint nobody got time for dat!" and i dont either. :)

safe shooting everyone and thanks for the input.
scott

I owned a ss 10x and now a 4x-14 Falcon Menace. The glass is better on the SS and feels more robust and made better. My next scope will be either a Vortex or ss 3x-15.

I have a 5-25x55 menace and a 5-20 ss. glass clarity goes to the SWFA. I like the knobs on the SWFA. I like the available elevation of the SWFA. I like the locking ocular on the SWFA. I like the reticle in the menace. I like the ease of power adjustment on the menace. I like the cost of the menace. both track well. both hold zero. I have a menace on a 308 and a soon to be 6.5 creedmoor while the more durable SWFA on a 300 Weatherby.
hope this helps.

I just got my SS 3-15x42 this week and haven't got it mounted and shot it yet but it is impressive out of the box.