• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

SWFA SS

Jshull

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2018
Hey guys, I’m really considering a SWFA 6x Moa/Moa scope. I’m looking to shoot my MkII out @ 500 yards. More often than not it’ll be 50-300 yards, I’m feeling 6x is enough. Thoughts?
EF0CEA90-3ADD-4303-BF44-2D61EA301303.jpeg

Great scope for what you want to do.Take a look at the mil-quad reticle it is a dream to work with.I like the 6X swfa scopes better then the higher power swfa scopes.I shoot out to 400 yd rimfire with the 6x with no problems.Plenty of elevation for long range rimfire.

I use 20x MOA-quads on nearly all my long-range rimfires including my 2 long-range pistols. I made 50 moa mounts for most of them which let's me dial to 500+ yards. I think you'll find the gun is capable of shooting and hitting targets smaller than the 6x will let you take advantage of. Personally I don't think you'll be happy with it.

20xmoaquadreticle.png

Topstrap

Last edited:
Reactions: Tucker301
I have had several SWFA scopes on my MKII FVSR in the past three years. The mil quad is a decent reticle but I have recently started to appreciate more stadia lines with closer spacing than every .5 MILS or 2 MOA for more precise holds without dialing.

I started with the 6X but it lacked magnification I like for shooting small objects at 100 yards. Then, I moved to the fixed 10X but it still didn't give me the magnification I wanted. That is when I tried the 12X but it turned out to be too much for closer shots. That is when I snagged an SFP 3-15 with the mil quad and floating dot. That was a great little scope for close and far shots with a very usable reticle but it lacked FFP (I recently started competing in NRL22 matches and need a FFP reticle). I finally sold the 3-15 and have settled on an Athlon Midas Tac 4-16 FFP. For me, it has a great magnification range, a thin reticle, floating dot and .2 Mil stadia for finer holds without dialing.

I think you will be lacking with the 6X SWFA and think you should think about how you will use the rifle the most and pick a scope that will help you perform the most common shooting tasks the best.

I definitely feel that 6x would be a bit lacking. It is nice to be able to spot splashes in dirt should you miss, and below 16x I dont know that you can easily make them out. I have 16x and 20x on my 22s and they are excellent out to 500 yards. Hope you are happy with whichever one you get. I dont know that there is any better scope in that price range for long range rimfire.

I have had several SWFA scopes on my MKII FVSR in the past three years. The mil quad is a decent reticle but I have recently started to appreciate more stadia lines with closer spacing than every .5 MILS or 2 MOA for more precise holds without dialing.

I started with the 6X but it lacked magnification I like for shooting small objects at 100 yards. Then, I moved to the fixed 10X but it still didn't give me the magnification I wanted. That is when I tried the 12X but it turned out to be too much for closer shots. That is when I snagged an SFP 3-15 with the mil quad and floating dot. That was a great little scope for close and far shots with a very usable reticle but it lacked FFP (I recently started competing in NRL22 matches and need a FFP reticle). I finally sold the 3-15 and have settled on an Athlon Midas Tac 4-16 FFP. For me, it has a great magnification range, a thin reticle, floating dot and .2 Mil stadia for finer holds without dialing.

I think you will be lacking with the 6X SWFA and think you should think about how you will use the rifle the most and pick a scope that will help you perform the most common shooting tasks the best.
I’m glad to hear this. I have no experience with Athlon but saw one of these at a gun show earlier this year. It seemed to have all of the features of an excellent rimfire trainer optic. I’m considering one for my T1X.

I’m glad to hear this. I have no experience with Athlon but saw one of these at a gun show earlier this year. It seemed to have all of the features of an excellent rimfire trainer optic. I’m considering one for my T1X.

I think you would be very pleased with that optic. I just used it over the weekend and we shot from 25 to 300 yards. The scope tracked perfectly and has a great sight picture. The more I use it, the more I like it!

I think you would be very pleased with that optic. I just used it over the weekend and we shot from 25 to 300 yards. The scope tracked perfectly and has a great sight picture. The more I use it, the more I like it!

I appreciate the extra feedback. You just keep sending me more and more towards that direction.

I went with the 10x SS. I think it’s about perfect for a LR rimfire. I almost never shoot closer than 50 so the 10x is fine. If it was something I was going to small game hunt with the 6x would be good too.

I'd go 10X min. 12X would be ideal and 16X would not be excessive.

I have 2 of the 10x moa quads. One is on a 223AI that I regularly shoot in 600 yard matches. They are built like a damn tank and just plain work. I'd go 10x.

I have the 12x and the 16x MIL/MIL SWFA SS scopes. 6x and 300-500 yards do not seem like a happy match. I would go 12x or 16x. 22lr does not kick up much dust at 500 yards. Also, with 22lr trajectory, the ability to hold fine is a must. 6x is for 25- to 50-yard hunting shots, or long shots on large targets with a centerfire rifle.

I have the 6 x 24 version of the Midas Tac and really, really like it. The floating dot reticle on tiny targets is fantastic. Several members are using them on Voodo 's so that should tell you something. Those folks have deep pockets and went with the Midas Tac.

I have the 20x42 on my RPR 308 that I shoot anywhere out to 1000. It’s my favorite scope. Just great quality

I went with the 10x SS. I think it’s about perfect for a LR rimfire. I almost never shoot closer than 50 so the 10x is fine. If it was something I was going to small game hunt with the 6x would be good too.

I’m thinking of going with the 6x for small game but I’ve read that some people find the reticle too small. Is there any validity to that at all?

I might just give it a go and see what it’s like. Never owned an SWFA optic and I’ve been wanting to see what they’re about.

What do you mean by that? I know they are suppose to have tactile “clicks” but haven’t seen anything about the turret connection.

What do you mean by that? I know they are suppose to have tactile “clicks” but haven’t seen anything about the turret connection.
I agree with him. It's just three little setscrews that dig into a brass or bronze shaft that goes down to the erector. I have less expensive scopes than that with a bombproof connection (splines) between the turret knob and the spindle, and a central screw sandwiching them together.

Reactions: myronman3
I also think the 6x will be lacking power. I went with the 10x and even that I feel could use more. Great scope though

I was using a 20x on my savage mk ll on a 20 moa base. Thought it would be too much at first but it was laying around so I tried it. It spent most of its time in the 100-150 yard range and I actually liked it quite well even down to 50 yards. Sold the savage but kept the swfa. It'll be going on a vudoo here shortly. Sometimes I wish it was a 16x but not often.

The 10x is my all around .22 scope. My 16x is on a 6mm Creedmore for out to 1000 yards. Not great optically but it works.