• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA Super Sniper ?? what power 10,12,or 16 ??

cellular

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2014
Hi, I recently put together a lower, and bought a RRA 20" Varmint (#0550). I'm asking for some reccomendations on outfitting the gun? I'd rather buy a scope that would out do the gun rather than a gun that out does the scope. Seems the swfa ss is pretty good buy for the money I hear. It seems everyone raves about the 10 power. I hear very little about the 12 and 16 power. I am going to be using my gun to 95% of the time to shoot squirrels in my field, as long distances as I possibly can. Again, seems everyone like the 10 power, but I'm almost strictly after squirrels which is a fairly small target. What power should I buy?? Also what scope mounts should I get for my application, and why please ?? I'm thinking of buying the RRA 30mm elevated cantalievers from pk firearms, but I wasn't happy w/ the rra two stage trigger I got from them. Any help or reccomendations would be appreciated. thanks. ????

I would do the 12x myself (have one on a 22 squirrel killer). The new rect they put in there is very usable at that power and for the price range it is tough to beat it. I think 16 too much as it would make target acquisition too tricky. If you can find a used 10x those are nice as well.

regardless of which you choose, GET MATCHING KNOBS/RECT! Meaning get mil/mil. You will hate life and eventually sell it if you get moa knobs and mil rect (I speaking from exp)

As to mounts, depends on the base of course. If you have the dovetail design rings, I would get the Burris signature rings that have the inserts. Love these as it not only allows a tight scratch free mounting, you can add cant into the scope to maximize the dialing to distance (not that you would need it with the 12x scope. It has lots of internal adjustment range)

If pict rail and on the cheap,

SWFA Mounts, Rings and Bases TPS Mounts TPS TSR Scope Rings TPS TSR Scope 30mm Rings

these not bad and under $100.

Good luck!
DT

I would go for a 10x for more field of view and faster sight acquisition. I have been reading up on Value scopes and I have yet to find a better value and warranty than SWFA. IMHO they beat out Vortex in Value for dollar. As soon as I can I am getting a 10x fixed SWFA for $299. It is an excellent scope for the money, better than Millet or Hawk Eagle Osprey or other bird scopes.

(p.s. They no longer call them "super sniper" just SS. less tacticool mall ninja.)

I agree that the 12X is a good all around, with the 10X (what I have) a close 2nd. I have had my 3 year old SS on; M1A, Ruger 10/22, three different AR's and now back again on a DD AR, where it's going to stay.

I was just popping clay targets on the 400 and 500 meter berms at a Range this past Saturday with the SS 10X and my Daniel Defense. A nice combination.

GLAD they changed the name too!! SS is just right.

You should have no problem hitting squirrels at 200-300 with that rifle and a 10X super sniper. Past that it will be hard to see them because of the magnification and glass quality. Another budget varmint scope that works fairly well is the nikon buckmasters, I have that on my 20" RRA. I zero it with a 6'clock hold at 200 and hold on top of what I want to hit at 300, then where the reticule gets thick at 400. Works fine. Also have the RRA 30MM mount and it is fine.

If you can afford to spend a bit more the Vortex PST scopes have a lot to offer but I understand that 700-1000 is not in everyone's budget.

Well, in my own mind, before I started this thread, I didn't know if 10 or 12 would be best. Lol, looks like a a 50/50 response on it so far. I think I want the mil-quad reticle instead of the mil-dot. I'm not sure if that's the new one D Tros is talking about that works good at that power. I called the factory, they are out of 10 power in mil-quad and no 10s in mil-quad on ebay either. T

I got cut off. Anyway, no luck on finding a new 10 power in mil-quad. The factory talked to me about getting on a waiting list for the 10 behind 70 other people yesterday. I also saw people bidding on a used 10 mil-dot, the bid was approaching 400 dollars. I don't understand that when a new one is 300. Are the older ones better? They were both made in japan. I'm glad D-Tros mentioned that about matching knobs. I will look into that. I'm still confused whether to get 10 or 12. Also if anyone knows any pro or cons on the different reticles, I'm all ears on that. I just like the narrow lines and layout on the mil-quad I think.

I have the 16 on my R700. Have put 4-500 rounds through it and no issues. Tracking is dead on. Has 120+ adjustable MOA. Eye relief is a bit on the small side but I don't really notice it much. I have mine on a 20MOA weaver base along with weaver 6 screw medium rings. Stays put holds a zero great. Glass is really clear in my opinion. I shoot to 1000 and can still see a 12in target.

I own the fixed 12 SS, mil/mil, mil-quad reticle.....awesome scope, great value. Stick with the mil-quad ret.; doesn't cover small targets, like squirrels, nearly like a regular mil-dot. There are 3 models of the 10x---- the rear focus (least expensive), side-focus ($100.00 more), and a "HD" Glass model that's more yet. You might try Quality optics and accessories from Leupold, Bushnell, Burris, Nikon and more!. If a 10 or 12x SS isn't on now, shouldn't be too long before something shows up. A little better price than retail, also.

well it's looking like 12 power is winning the race here. It's kind of confusing to me whether they have the 10 in stock or not. The website lets you put it in your car. But yet when I called the place in texas, they say 70 people on waiting list for it. They also told me they are the same outfit as "riflescopes" on ebay, who also say they are out of the 10 power. Well I think 12 power it is. Just to make sure I'm on the right page, the description says .1MRAD per click, 5 mils per revolution. I take it that is a mil/mil scope that everyone is advising me on? And just to reassure I'll be ordering the right scope, I think only the mil-dots come in moa, and all the mil-quads are mils. Unless you guys tell me otherwise, I take it the butler creek caps they sell are the ones that flip up, and that is the way to go. Also 6/250/40, what type of gun do you have your 12 on?

Mil/mil. 12x will be fine. Please report when you get it. I am a week or so behind you..... I want a 10x but won't wait forever. We will see how fast they get the 10x orders filled. You NEED the matching reticles. More important than Glass or Vari power.

Keep in mind there are 2 different 10x SS scopes- one has a side parallax for $50 more than rear. I got the 12x because the 10x was not available. It's now in an AD recon mount and been on 3 different rifles, 700, ar10, and ar15. There might be advantages to the 10x but I've got no complaints. Can't go wrong for the price.

I like the 10x but would vote for the 12x even if they where both in stock.............It really is win-win................ with a slight edge in magnification.

I ran a 16x SS for a while. If you are going to be taking the vast majority of your shots from a solid-rested position, I'd look at the most magnification possible. If you are going to be walking and shooting from impromptu or field positions, then try the 10x.

How long is the wait for these scopes? I ordered a 10x mil/mil and it's back ordered.

Well, this thread has helped me out, thanks to all. I will let you know after I get it. Diggler, the 16 did tempt me. I really wanted to get the 24", but, my senses told me to make the gun sort versatile at a short wide range, if need be, being this is really the only active rifle I have except a 22. I would like to get a tripod for it though.. I'm not sure what brand or what height to get? Anybody, have any reccomendations on that? Not sure of the height it should be, but most of the time I'd be laying it across the hood of the pick up for fun, and I'd definitely like it to be the proper height if I were laying flat on the ground. ?

I'd cast a vote for the 10x or 12x. Depending if you're actively walking around shooting or if you're just posted up somewhere and raining death upon those critters. 10x for walking around... maybe 6x even, and 12x if you're posted up somewhere. I went middle of the road and glad I did. 10x is plenty of magnification to hit 10" plates all the way out to 800-900 yards with my .308. I'm sure you could go farther, I just haven't gotten there yet. The magnification doesn't bother me. When you shoot long distance little critters on the ground... you might have a problem with mirage on a higher power scope. I can honestly say 95% of the time mirage isn't a problem for me shooting targets or steel plates on a hot day, but can't speak about the 12x.

I've got the 12 power on the way, so that's not really an issue at the time. However, I got a cheap 22 scope mounted on gun, and been playing w/ it around the house, trying to determine what height I want the scope. RRA mounts put scope at 1.65 in height, which feels OK when holding the gun while standing. But I stacked a bunch of phone books as a bipod and stuff, laid and sat in different positions, it seems I then want the scope a little lower than 1.65. Do you guys have the same problem? What do you suggest?? What ring height do most you guys use???

I've got the 12 power on the way, so that's not really an issue at the time. However, I got a cheap 22 scope mounted on gun, and been playing w/ it around the house, trying to determine what height I want the scope. RRA mounts put scope at 1.65 in height, which feels OK when holding the gun while standing. But I stacked a bunch of phone books as a bipod and stuff, laid and sat in different positions, it seems I then want the scope a little lower than 1.65. Do you guys have the same problem? What do you suggest?? What ring height do most you guys use???

I use the lowest rings I can get away with. Taking in mind that the objective lens has to clear the top of the barrel with scope caps on. Also, sometimes if you ocular lens is big, you might have problems manipulating the bolt if you have really low rings. You could either go up one size in height, or get something like the KRG bolt lift (Depending on rifle). Just something to consider when you are shopping for rings. Typically I would get the base in, and get the scope in, then order the rings after I did some measuring. Somewhere on 8541 Tactical, John talks about using pennies and electrical tape to figure out what rings you need. This is actually a good method. You just have to do your part and figure out how each manufacture measures their rings. But typically, if you're running a bolt action rifle, and your objective lens is 40-44mm you can get away with low rings with either 1" or 30mm. Anything in the 50mm objective lens range you might want to look at medium height, depending on your rifle and the scope.

As far as overall sight height, like I said before, I like the lowest possible, because most stocks have a relatively low comb (cheek) height. This is why Chassis systems are nice, or the nicer McMillan/Manners stocks. They have adjustable cheek pieces. I don't like to strain my neck by lifting my fat head above the stock to get proper sight picture. You need to get the scope to cater to your most comfortable positions. Keep in mind variable power scopes have eye relief that is a hair different at various magnifications. And you want to setup your scope to cater to your most commonly used shooting position.

I got the 10 power because that seemed to have the best reviews. I have no complaints about it. For the price it can't be beat!

Im selling a SWFA SS 10X HD in the exchange for $525. That gets you HD glass, a BIG step up from the standard scope. The HD retails for $800 bucks new.

Well, Bender, I got the scope. I'm kind of disappointed in it. Honestly, I can't say its much different than my 3x9 bushnell sportman from big 5 for eighty dollars. The fine line reticle is nice, I will say that. Looking out the window of the house at letters on a sign 300 yards out, the bushnell is more clear. I walked into the neighbors orchard and looked at some objects. It seemed a little better in outside light. I looked at the insulators on telephone poles 100 yards which was towards the sun. The insulators were more clear than the bushnell in high light. But then looked at bee boxes at 200 yds. in normal light, and looked at city lights on poles a 1000 yds away, no difference. In long distance if I had to choose one being more clear, I'd have to say the 80 dollar bushnell is more clear. I'm sorry to report this, am disappointed, I find it hard to believe, but I think I'll send the scope back. I love the reticle though. But not for 300 dollars. Either theres a difference of night and day on the 10 and 12 or what the military must be the 700 dollar version or something. I need to find a scope. Again, the reticle is nice. Not sure what to do about a scope now?

SWFA Super Sniper ?? what power 10,12,or 16 ??

Image quality is not high on my list of priorities for evaluating an $80 scope.

I don't know what track is, I'm just describing the clarity and light and reticle. When I track something, I don't need a scope at all.

He's referring to tracking as clicking through the scope hitting the same spots. Such as a box test, shoot a spot on a target, do 1 Mil(10 .1mil clicks) up, shoot same spot, go 1 mil right, shoot same spot, do 1 mil down, shoot same spot, do 1 mil left, shoot again after doing that, you should have a 1 mil box with your first and last shot being in the exact same place... Think of it like, the cheaper scopes... a click up should be .1mil, it might be .13 mils adjustment actually, while a click down could be .09... which means after X amount of clicks up with a bad tracking scope, it might need an additional click down to get back to where it's supposed to be.

I have a 16x SS SWFA, except for the glass clarity at high sun times, I love it... it's worth the money for how much adjustment and how well it tracks... I would have rather got a 10 or 12 really, the glass clarity would have been better. I can adjust from 150 yards to 1000 yards and back, zeros stay the exact same

If you do not know what tracking is why on earth would you be looking at tactical scopes? There sole purpose is tracking. Confused.
I am a huge bushnell elite fan, I know some of there lesser glass is still OK but NO $80 scope tracks reliably, hence the market for $300+ scopes.

Sherrik5, thank you for explaining tracking. I don't have any reason to doubt the tracking. D.ID, I bought it because of the good reviews I've heard and the mil quad reticle. The mil quad reticle is fine lined and has multiple markings on the crosshairs for bullet drop and wind. By using those little marks I just mentioned, it would minimize me having to adjust the scope fore different ranges and wind. Does, that kind of make a little sense to you? As for the 80 dollar scope, it was on a .22, and being the short difference in range that I use 22 for, I haven't had the need to adjust the crosshairs for different shot ranges. I did mention that I did like the reticle. I'm tempted to keep the scope for that reason, but I don't think I will. I already called swfa and got a return authorization number. I intend on bringing it to the sporting good store today and comparing it to some others on the shelf as far as clarity. I looked at the 200 dollar 3x9 Nikon .233 a couple weeks ago, but didn't like the reticle of bullet drop on it, because the lines were so thick, and thought the circles marking the bullet drop would be to thick and cover up the squirrels to much. I will see if big 5 has the bushnell elite. That is where I bought the bushnell sportman. The fixed power wasn't a big minus to me because I usually leave my 3x9 on max power anyway. I think what I'm looking for is as much clarity and hash marks on the crosshairs as I can find for a couple hundred bucks. I don't intend on doing a lot of tracking, adjusting, etc. This is going on a semi auto bull barrel for squireels 95% of the time. If anyone else can think of any other scopes that might work wel for what I described, I'm all ears. thanks

Do you still have it? I would buy it from you. I am sorry the $80 scope looks better. But that will track like a tank. Please PM me.

I would nudge you towards the 12x...
I spent a couple years using a MK4 16x...
Very nice for small targets at distance,but my eyes have been old for a while now...grin!
No issues acquiring a target unless your inside a hundred yards or so...and even that becomes less of an issue after getting comfortable with rifle/ scope...lower light gathering ability was not an issue either...
But there were occasions when I could not cope with mirage...those times,though very few,made me wish for a variable,which I finally went to...
During that same time,a chum of mine picked up a SS 16 power...
His thoughts were for the most part parallel to mine with the exception of his getting a little dirtier at low light...
In short,I like a few more "x"s on my scopes,so 12x would be a good choice should you be sold on a fixed power...

I sent the thing back. Bender, I gave your name to someone who pm me trying to sell a used 12. I went to local sporting goods stores. I viewed through a 200 dollar Barska 6x24x44 IR swat custom tactical. We set it at 12 power, walked outside and both agreed it was more clear than the swfa by looking at leafs on tree. The reticle was a mildot type thing as I recall, but the lines weren't as thin and sharp as swfa. Looked through a Niko Sterling 3.5-10x44 AOIR CRX game king that was mounted on a .308 Howa. I couldn't take it outside, but could look through the doorway at cars getting on the freeway. I couldn't really judge the clarity, but liked the reticle. Its bullet drop lines and the width of them for windage. It had an illuminated lines, which I can do w/o. Next place I went to had Nikons 233 in a 3x9 mildot on sae for 170. Compared the clarity on the two of those, and not much difference. The Nikon was a little more clear, but I think that was due to the difference of it being 9 instead on 12. I heard things about the bsa sweet, but It's reticle is pretty standard. What it comes down to, is I'm wanting a reticle that I can kind of leave it adjusted in one place and use the markings on it to offset for drop/wind. This niko sterling is sold on swfa website also. anyone have any opinions on them or can recommend something else w/ a reticle suited for what I've described? swfa has a 4-16x44 ao lrx listed for 135.00 I'm thinking about getting it.

Man....if you only want clear glass and don't care about tracking then Nikon or Swarovski should suit you fine......i HEAVILY prefer tracking over glass and variable magnification. But that is just me. Good luck in your search.

Don't get too caught up with clarity - remember you are using the scope to hit targets. In my opinion if I can get the reticle on the center of the target and eliminate parallax I'm good. Make clarity a more important issue with spotting scopes and binos. Dont get me wrong, I love a crisp, clear view through a scope. I just wouldn't put TOO much weight into this feature. Durability, tracking (good chance you will be turning that turret eventually), eye box, matching turret/reticle, and reticle design are all much higher on my list of priorities for a rifle scope. The reason so many like the fixed power SS scopes is they have all those features at a reasonable price.
Use this site to research - lots of excellent reviews on scopes here. Best of luck

Man....if you only want clear glass and don't care about tracking then Nikon or Swarovski should suit you fine......i HEAVILY prefer tracking over glass and variable magnification. But that is just me. Good luck in your search.
Tracking first for sure...in spades!

i shoot prarie dogs out to 500 yards with my swfa 10x42. i do not think 12 is much of an advantage over 10. i would go either one and be happy

Supercorndogs, do you have the $300 model or the $800 dollar model in a fixed 10 power? OK, this is what I'm thinking now. I returned the 12 power. I can't find a scope w/ a reticle I like. I liked the ss mil quad reticle. I think what I'd like to do is wait till they get 10 powers back in stock, and order it. Meantine, I want to shoot my AR. The armalite mount I want cost a hundred dollars. It's 30mm , part # ex0022. I'd like to mount a cheap simmons 50 dollar scope on it meantime. The cheap scope body is one inch. I see inserts that come w/ different mounts. However armalites don't. Are these inserts universal to different mounts? I've seen inserts between 45 dollars and 10 dollars on ebay. What do I need as far as insert, or what do you guys suggest.