• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA Trade In Program

ShtrRdy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 17, 2011
    High Plains
    Have any of you tried the Trade In program offered by SWFA? This would be a trade in for a scope of equal or greater value. I'd like to get an idea if you take a beating on your trade in or if the deal seems fair?

you send them info and pics and they give you a quote , so whatever you have they will tell you what they will give ya and you can choose to accept or not

I just got my appraisals in today actually on 2 scopes. One offer was 53% and the other was 59% of what I bought them for and what they still sell at. To me I didn't think it was really worth it. I felt I would lose more than I'd gain and with kids still coming up shooting passing on these 2 scopes would be better than trying to buy more when the time is needed. So I'm not bashing SWFA. The appraisals took a little over a day to arrive and when you do the percentage game it doesn't seem bad at all considering they are used. If I absolutely didn't see any future for these scopes I'd probably send them in, still may if the right scope comes along. Then it will be an excuse to buy something else.

I have traded with then four times. I have a scope for sale here at the price they offered me and it hasn't sold yet so the price must be pretty fair.

Did 2 trades with them. Few things I learned:

-- You definitely won't get street price on your trade-in.. so consider you're paying for the convenience and time saved of not having to sell it yourself. You will however get a fair and accurate trade-in price for your item.

-- You will pay ALL shipping. Pay to ship in your trade and then shipping on the new item to you.

-- If you trade in a scope of greater value, you're issued a credit. You do not get cash back or a gift card. You have to call the store in person during business hours to use the credit. The credit doesn't show up on your account when you log in. The credit is good for the whole SWFA store not just the sample list items.

--It might take a few days for them to respond to your trade-in appraisal.

It's pretty easy to do. I would do it again if I found a good deal on a Sample List item. You know what you're getting for a trade in value before entering into the deal. They are very firm on their prices, both trade in values they offer you and the used items they're selling.

certain brands of scopes they'll usually give a higher percentage as well, and if you trade in SWFA scopes I think it's really the highest percentage back compared to street price, but they like to give a bit extra on anything that's high quality and don't carry new... I think they give quite a bit for nightforce and such?

You'll take a beating, all-be-it a very convenient beating. I've traded with them twice. Didn't get what I thought I should get either time, but traded anyway because I didn't want to wait. So in the end it was MY decision to take the beating........hope this helps.

You're definitely better off selling it yourself. They have to be able to sell what they take in trade at around the same price you could and they have to pay people to handle the trade ins and sales. It's just like trading in your car, you just have to ask yourself if the convenience is worth it to you.

They are a great company to deal with regardless of whether you trade in or not.