• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA TRADE IN PROGRAM

DR1167

Private
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2010
Washington
I'm planning on acquiring a PH 3-15x50 to replace my Mark 4 M1
I submitted a trade appraisal request with SWFA earlier this week to see how much value the Leupold would bring towards a new Premier.

My question for those that have previously used the SWFA trade in program is how pleased were you with the trade/upgrade process and what was the turn around time from submittal to having response to your appraisal/trade request?

Thanks in advance for your enlightenment.

Re: SWFA TRADE IN PROGRAM

I think it took 3-4 days to hear back from them for me. I had a Leupy scope, alumina flips and burris rings that were all new for trade. Total cost new was $500. They offered $200 I believe, maybe $250. You might be better off selling your scope outright.

Yeah its a joke. I didn't get offered jack for my 3-9 SS ffp mil/mil that I bought new from them, trying to trade for a new 10x HD SS

I had a great experience and would do it again. They replied next day and when they received my trade, they shipped next day. They’re online here so you could PM them to let them know you’ve submitted if you like.

The trade in worked great. David shipped my new scope the same day that the trade-in arrived and I had the new scope a few days later. I would definitely use their trade-in program again.

Of course I got less than I could have sold it for privately but I expected that and I was happy with the offer. It met my needs as I needed another scope and didn't want the potential hassle of trying to sell it privately (I needed the new scope quickly). After all, couldn't sell it here as I don't have my required 100 posts.

I have tried to use the program but they offered less than I wanted to get. So I spent the time selling the item. Just depends if difference in price between the two is worth the extra time for you.

I got very fair offers on a couple S&B's I asked them about.

I imagine their offers are based on what they can buy the scope for new, what a used one typically sells for, their profit margin on the scope you are trading for, etc, etc.

They're in business. I expect them to offer low. Some people will value the service. Isn't choice great!?

They treated me fair the few times I got quotes from them. I could have sat on the scopes and sold them myself, or I could have taken a little less and not have to wait, and put it towards the new one. They have to make a profit somehow right?

Like Greywolf says, it is just like going through a car dealer. You'll be disappointed in what they WILL offer, but it is what they CAN offer.

I expect them to make a little money (they're already making money on the scope they're selling me) but I was low balled w/o the lube on two very popular scopes I checked on trade value to trade in for a scope that wasn't yet released but was priced at full MSRP. I won't ever bother again and advise others to look elsewhere.

I had another nightmare story dealing with them a couple years back on a Burris XTR that I won't get into details on but I should have learned my lesson from that.

I traded in a set of Pentax binocs. I bought them new a year ago for about $350.

SWFA gave me $400 for them on trade for a new Zeiss LRF!

Taking trades is not easy because you risk offending someone that does not understand the trade process like Jer who thinks that the profit from one sale should be sufficient to cover two sales and the time and effort of the actual trade. Fortunately for us, most people get it and appreciate the service. Like 308Dude pointed out, isn't choice great.

We routinely offer more than what people originally paid for items but not usually on Pentax binos, mostly on Euro items as their prices have sky rocketed the last 10 years. People are always blown away at what we offer on Euro items that they have owned for over 5 years.

Dr. Bill gets it.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got very fair offers on a couple S&B's I asked them about.

I imagine their offers are based on what they can buy the scope for new, what a used one typically sells for, their profit margin on the scope you are trading for, etc, etc. </div></div>

There are many variables in play that we have to consider and often the person trading is only considering one, which is what they paid for it and we don't fault them for that in fact we often offer detailed explanations as to how or why we came up with our offer. Some are willing to understand and some are not.

I would wager that we pay and offer more than any other "reseller" you will find. The appraisal if free, we are very honest and fair people so please don't hesitate to give us a shot, you won't be disappointed and if you are we'll do our best to fix that.

Chris Farris

Good point with the clarification Chris.
As I would say, you're not running Goodwill Industries and I most obviously expect SWFA to have a resonable profit margin on all transactions.

I sent my request to Dave on Monday.
It will be interesting to see what he has to say.

Thanks again.

Can't say good enough stuff about swfa, they took my pos scope and gave me just under what I asked.

I'd much rather have just under what I asked now than what I asked five weeks after I need it.

I've never used it, but I was fine with what they offered on a trade, by no means offended.

You have to remember, SWFA is a BIG dealer of optics, they buy new scopes for a very good discount. Why would they pay you the same or more for a used scope than they can buy a new one for?

It's simple economics, you can almost always sell it for more privately, but that comes with more time and effort than an easy trade in.

OP (DR1167),

Just noticed that this was your first post here. Welcome to The Hide.

If you did not get a response right away to your appraisal it would be because our #1 trade-in guy (Dave) is on vacation this week and others have had to step up and take care of the appraisals and still do their regular jobs which has been tough as this week has been extra busy.

Has anyone ever sold something to SWFA? If so, what was the turn around time to get your check?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Taking trades is not easy because you risk offending someone that does not understand the trade process <span style="font-weight: bold">like Jer who thinks that the profit from one sale should be sufficient to cover two sales and the time and effort of the actual trade</span>. Fortunately for us, most people get it and appreciate the service. Like 308Dude pointed out, isn't choice great.

Chris Farris</div></div>

That's quite the assumption. Much like most assumptions you are incorrect about how I think/feel. I actually do expect you to make money on both transactions and would expect nothing else. You're in the business to make money, not to give things away to help people out. At the same time I don't expect you to try to steal items from people on the trade side of things. You're already making a modest profit from an item being bought at full retail price so even if you did break even (again, not what I expected) on selling the trade-in you would would be money ahead and have a customer who felt they were treated well. When you try to get trade-in's for next to nothing it's going to leave a bad taste and it's only a matter of time before this comes back around. When this happened I was fine with just thanking you for your time but what I should of done was tell you how I really feel and how this was essentially strike two from SWFA for me as a paying customer. When this thread comes up asking specifically then I'm going to give my opinion. That's all it is is an opinion and people can choose to take something from it or completely blow it off, I don't care. This is an open forum though and as such these things are open for discussion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DR1167</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good point with the clarification Chris.
As I would say, you're not running Goodwill Industries and <span style="font-weight: bold">I most obviously expect SWFA to have a resonable profit margin on all transactions</span>.</div></div>

I couldn't agree more but the keyword here is <span style="font-style: italic">reasonable</span>. Last thing you want is to get a reputation for doing business like a crooked used car dealer to maximize profit for each individual sale versus looking at the long term implications of your actions. The end result is SWFA didn't make ANY money off of me as I plan on buying elsewhere from now on and on top of that they've earned some public scrutiny and it sounds like I'm not alone either.

If you want to do business one way or another that's fine and thanks to our wonderful system of capitalism it's your right to do so. It's also our right as consumers to voice our support or displeasure of said actions and this is ultimately what keeps things in check.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steelhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone ever sold something to SWFA? If so, what was the turn around time to get your check? </div></div>

We hand carry the paper work to accounts payable and make sure they are put at the front of the line of invoices to be paid so they don't behind invoices with terms, so in most cases the check goes out the same day.

Jer,

You profile is a little empty, so would you mind PMing me your name and or e-mail address so that I can look into your claims?

Gracias,
Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jer,

You profile is a little empty, so would you mind PMing me your name and or e-mail address so that I can look into your claims?

Gracias,
Chris </div></div>

How 'bout I do you one better and just copy/paste the discussion in question?

Jer:
"Burris XTR. The one w/o the fastfire or mount.

I also have a Falcon Menace FFP 4-14x44 mil/mil

Both are like new and only have a few dozen rounds fired while mounted. I have all boxes, covers, paperwork that came with them too."

SWFA:
"Burris 1-4x24 Xtreme Tactical XTR - $450.00
Falcon Menace FFP 4-14x44 - $150.00"

Me:
"No thanks."

SWFA:
"SWFA has removed themself from this topic."

For the record this was towards the beginning of the year and I ended up getting about twice the amount you offered for trade-in relatively quickly listing them for sale just after that. Again, I fully expect you to make money on the sale of a new scope as well as the trade-ins but those offers are offensive and I have a very hard time believing they are the types of offers you are giving others if they are happy with your trade-in program.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adician</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oooh called out!

</div></div>

Childish comments insinuating I have something to hide are not necessary.

I'm sure most have visited Kelly's blue book for car value reference. You will always get 4 different prices:

-Trade-In Value
-Private Party Value
-Suggested Retail Price
-Certified Pre-Owned Price

I take SWFA's trade in offer exactly as what it is - Another option. If I don't have time to do private sale, or worried about false transactions from private sectors, then I take less money for convenience and security.

If I have time to do this on my own, and trust the buyer or the channel I sale to, I might get more $$.

It's an option, the decision is yours. Do what makes sense for you. Overall, I thank SWFA to offer such option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adician</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oooh called out!

</div></div>

Childish comments insinuating I have something to hide are not necessary. </div></div>

Not necesary but accurate.

You still have not provided your name or e-mail so I can look you up in "our" appraisal system, instead you posted what appears to be a PM exchange that I can not verify as being accurate or even legit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not necesary but accurate.</div></div>

Way to encourage statements that do nothing to further to conversation. That will help to deflect the attention away from you, right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You still have not provided your name or e-mail so I can look you up in "our" appraisal system, instead you posted what appears to be a PM exchange that I can not verify as being accurate or even legit. </div></div>

Really? Why don't you just say the words and knock off the passive aggressive approach. Call me a liar. Accuse me of typing that up myself and making it all up to gain... what it is I don't know.

The 'appraisal' was given via PM so there was never an email or a full name exchanged to be in any system based off of those two items. If you doubt my honesty or the legitimacy of the information I've provided I will gladly take a screen capture of my Sniper's Hide inbox for your approval. You're hinting at some very serious accusations at this point so I suggest you talk to Brady who sent that message to me on 2/25/2010 at 9:38am to see if he recalls before you issue such a claim. Maybe check your 'appraisal' system on that date before that time to see if you find the quote. It really doesn't matter if you have record of it or not on your end becuase I have the messages in my inbox still and will gladly do screen captures and host them for the world see if you truly doubt me. I can already tell from inability to own up to the information provided that choosing to not deal with SWFA any longer was the correct decision for me. Here I am being questioned again and even when 'called out' publicly I provide <span style="font-style: italic">proof</span> and rather than explain actions SWFA would rather try to discredit a customer. Others would do well to pay close attention to how SWFA treats paying customers and ask yourself if you would like to be treated this way as well. The decision was easy enough for me.

are you really going to continue to "give your opinion"? It sounds as if you got some sand in your vagina and now need to cry it out. You said your piece and now move along.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are you really going to continue to "give your opinion"? It sounds as if you got some sand in your vagina and now need to cry it out. You said your piece and now move along. </div></div>

Thanks for your insightful and well thought out addition to this conversation. I will take it under advisement when making my decision to respond to direct requests for information regarding the topic at hand.

Jer,

This is Brady. Chris and I are both active on the SWFA account here. Chris has been posting up until this point. I wanted to chime in as I am the one who quoted you the prices in the PM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but I was low balled w/o the lube on two very popular scopes </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Burris 1-4x24 Xtreme Tactical XTR - $450.00
Falcon Menace FFP 4-14x44 - $150.00"</div></div>

The $450 value I quoted seemed more than fair. We just recently sold the exact same scope you were looking to trade on our samplelist for $499.95
http://www.samplelist.com/Burris-1-4x24-Xtreme-Tactical-XTR-Riflescope-DEMO-B-P612.aspx

The XTR you had was a 1st gen (model # 201902) and at the time you were requesting a quote the scope was discontinued from Burris and replaced with a Gen2 (model # 201904).
http://swfa.com/Burris-1-4x24-Xtreme-Tactical-XTR-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P45510.aspx

Our closeout discontinued price on the scope at the time of the PM was $559.95.

I just actually ran a report for the 201902 in our system and saw where you purchased the scope from us after a 110% price match for $539.41.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I couldn't agree more but the keyword here is reasonable. Last thing you want is to get a reputation for doing business like a crooked used car dealer to maximize profit for each individual sale versus looking at the long term implications of your actions. </div></div>

Now what would you deem a reasonable trade in offer for your scope?

For the Falcon we didn’t sell them at the time of the PM and honestly didn’t know what they went for. We do know they are starting to develop a bad reputation so I think 150 was a strong offer.

Brady
SWFA

It's called capitalism and free trade, Jer had an item, SWFA had money, Jer chose not to take the money that SWFA was willing to pay for said items.....Jer sold to someone else & SWFA spent their money elsewhere.....end of story.

Why is this discussion still going.

It's funny what people will argue about on the internet. Move on.