• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Swinging Steel Target Stand for $25 with a Dremel

rideHPD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2010
San Diego, CA
www.linkedin.com
Unlike those more fortunate I do not have a mill/lathe/arc welder at home for my personal projects, so I decided how well of a stand I could make with only a Dremel, for as little money, that fit my needs.

Requirements:
Transportable - must fit in back of SUV and disassemble to take up as little space as possible
Rapid assembly/disassembly - put together/taken apart in under 5 min requiring minimal/no tools
Rugged - must be able to take hits without being destroyed, not fall apart/over during normal use.
Modular - regular use will be in rocky/hilly terrain, and needs to be stable

This is what I came up with:

The basic design is a cross bar with 4 legs, all rebar, held together by plumbing fittings. The added benefit of the plumbing fittings is that the legs can be rotated such that on a steep incline, the back legs can be rotated outwards, so that their height is decreased, which allows you to keep even weight distribution between the front and back, which adds to stability. Past stands I made didn't have this feature, and the weight was primarily on the front legs. When shooting small plates, the amplitude of their swinging oscillations were so large that they took the legs out from under the stands.

Home depot shopping list:
2x 10' 5/8" rebar
2x 1/2" tee plumbing fittings, black iron or galvanized steel
4x 1/2" double-ended threaded nipples, "
4x 1/2" 45 degree elbows, "
4oz JB Weld steel-reinforced epoxy

This should come out to about $25. The JB Weld is the most expensive part, relatively speaking. If you have something you think will be as effective by all means use it. Without it the build is $16 and change.

Tools/supplies:
Dremel tool with heavy duty cut-off wheels, or other metal cutting device
paper towels
blue painters tape
plastic cups
many plastic knives
disposable gloves, preferably nitrile
acetone
newspaper

Step 1: Cut rebar
The lengths are up to you. I made 2 stands, 2' cross bars for both, 4' legs for one, 5' legs for another. This way there were no leftovers. Mark your sections and cut away. You don't need to cut all the way through, maybe a little more than 1/8". Once I got this deep all around, I simply bent the ends apart like a lever. Make sure you support both sides near the cut, and cut deep enough, or you'll bend the sections. Here's a pic to show about how deep I cut.

Step 1.5: Fit rebar to pipe fittings
I didn't have an issue with the rebar not fitting, but if you do you may need to trim the ends

Step 2: Clean rebar and fittings
Clean the inside of the fittings and ends of rebar for better adhesion to the JB Weld. Try not to clean the areas you don't want JB weld to stay, as most likely some will seep in an you'll need to clean it up.

Step 3: Plug holes in fittings to dam JB Weld
This is the most important step, and you want to make sure the fittings are very snug. The basic design of the plugs is half of a paper towel folded into 1.5-2" strips and rolled up, wrapped cylindrically with blue tape, then capped at the end with 2 plies of painters tape.

Simply thread them into the fittings, and pack them into the recesses of the fittings. I'd push them maybe 1/4" further than I wanted them, then packed them in with the shank of a screwdriver. The more room you take up the less JB Weld you'll need. Here's some pics to illustrate.

Make sure you cap them well and that they're snug or JB weld will seep past into the threads and/or into the paper towels and becomes a pain to pull out. Give yourself a handle to work the plug out.

Last edited:
Once you have all plugged and ready to go as below, take a break, drink a beer, and relax before you get the JB Weld going. The set time is listed as 25 min, but at 75F, 69% HUM it took much longer for me, so I had plenty time to work and make everything right.

Step 4: JB Weld.

You're going to do all the legs and 1 end of the cross bar first, then flip the crossbar and do it after the first round has hardened.

Glove up, I like to put on two pairs anytime I mess with resin and such as something always happens and you may need a pair of clean gloves, stat. Mix all of one of the packets (2 1oz tubes) and half of each tube of the other packet, so 3oz in total, JB Weld up in a mixing vessel, I used a clear plastic cup and plastic knife.

*this is an estimate of about how much you'll need for this part, you may find you need more*

I should have snapped some pics of this part, but my hands were full/covered in JB. Pack a small spoonful of JB into the fitting and push the rebar in. Use another plastic knife to remove the superfluous extra and put back in the cup. You're going to want someplace to lean them upright.

As you can see I used a board to support the back of the 45 deg elbows so that the rebar would be better centered. Once they're leaned up check for spills, voids to be filled, etc. Appropriate JB as necessary. If you see some seep into the threads, don't worry, it's not going to be a big problem. DON'T PULL THE PLUGS OUT UNTIL AFTER THE JB HAS SET. You can tell if it has by playing with the extra in the cup. If it has a dull appearance or doesn't flow or move to the touch, it probably has set. Keep in mind that the JB in the fittings is in a much larger quantity, and will take longer to set as a result. Thermodynamics and kinetics. Leave them alone to dry overnight. Now mix up the remaining 1oz and do the other end of the cross bar.

Step 5: Pull out the plugs. Can be a pain, work them back and forth. If you capped them well, the tape should separate in the fitting and the rest of the plug should pop out.

Step 5.5: If JB weld has flowed into the threads, scrape or chisel it out. Don't damage the threads too much. I used the end of small file that was triangular and formed a nice tooth inbetween the threads. Just ran it around the threads and everything popped right out.

Step 6: Assemble and admire
Should be pretty intuitive to assemble. Nipples go into tees, 45 elbows thread on there.

All Done. Enjoy.

Please post a range report... How does the JB Weld hold up to the impact from swinging steel?

I like how you used the threaded section between between the legs for assembly!

On a side note, I picked up a 5/8" x 9" masonry bit to used at the range with a cordless hammer drill.... I was planning on drilling holes to stick the feet of a target stand into the ground for more stability with the wind... I think your design is much more solid that what I was going to build.

Let us know how it works!!!

I started working on this project and I thought I'd offer some observations/suggestions.

Since quite a few of my targets are small, I decided to go with 1/2" rebar and 3/8" black pipe fittings. I also am using 45" street elbows instead of an elbow and nipple. I've also found that packing modeling clay into the places you don't want JB Weld works well also.

20130828_145443_zpsd43e2a2e.jpg

20130828_145506_zps3bc2b7d1.jpg

I have made a very similar stand doing pretty much the same as you minus the JB Weld. Instead of JB welding the rebar into the fittings I just got some long nipples like 8-10" and screwed them into a street nipple so the legs could slip into the nipples and fittings. Did the same with the cross bar. So when it's all said and done every thing just slips together and can easily be taken down to 5 pieces of rebar and some pipe tees with long nipples on them.

Nowadays I just take a 10' piece of 5/8 rebar and bend it in a square U shape essentially so I have two 4' legs and a 2' crossbar all in one piece. Make 2 of them and tie 2 of these together at the cross bar and spread the legs and you are done.

Looks like this
pymujenu.jpg

great idea.

one question, though. Why not use 36-48" pipe sections for legs and across the top? there would be no need to use the epoxy. might be cheaper your way though. serious question, im curious about your reasoning.

Just a thought but I dont think the black pipe would withstand an errant round very well. Cast iron pretty much shatters when hit with a hammer. Just my 2cents

Wow, after there wasn't much reception to this thread initially I pretty much forgot about it. Thank you all for the nice words. I'm back at UCLA wrapping up my undergrad (at least engineering is paying off for something) so I haven't had the chance to take them for a spin, but I'll update it once I put them through the paces and any upgrades or modifications down the road.

great idea.

one question, though. Why not use 36-48" pipe sections for legs and across the top? there would be no need to use the epoxy. might be cheaper your way though. serious question, im curious about your reasoning.

There were a few reasons why I didn't use them:
1. Cost-I originally planned on this, but when priced out one stand was going to cost somewhere around $80 and I was confident I could get away with the rebar
2. I work with resins a lot of the time and am very comfortable with them. This is what my workspace looked like while I was building the stands:

In-between cure times I was fixing surfboards, and vice versa with the stands.
3. Space-The use of these stands would be during desert trips with friends, and usually the cars are packed to the absolute brim