• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision SWIR vs LWIR

Jim Hammer

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2020
Can someone explain the differences, advantages and disadvantages between the two in a clip on rifle sight?

Think of SWIR more like Night Vision. You need supplemental illumination in the 1550nm wavelength when it gets dark. But you can see through glass, fog, smoke, etc almost like it’s not there.

It’s not “really” thermal like we think of MWIR and LWIR thermal. It kinda straddles the gap between standard i2 NV and “real” thermal in the traditional sense.

It’s just a different capability that the others can’t do, but not really super useful to we civvies outside of a handful of specific tasks.

ETA: SWIR also works great during the day. It’s used a fair bit during forest fires out West when the smoke obscures natural vision.

Last edited:
I can't speak to swir vs lwir, but we have a swir sensor we use at work when hunting baddies and it works exceptionally well.

The contrast it gives and ability to see through atmospherics/shadows/night time is vastly superior to basic EO/IR. I had no idea SWIR clipons existed, I have to imagine anyone with one would be an apex predator.

I can't speak to swir vs lwir, but we have a swir sensor we use at work when hunting baddies and it works exceptionally well.

The contrast it gives and ability to see through atmospherics/shadows/night time is vastly superior to basic EO/IR. I had no idea SWIR clipons existed, I have to imagine anyone with one would be an apex predator.

SWIR is the primary seek and destroy sensor on most ISR ground support drones, too. It’s a big plus that friendlies can use 1550nm strobes that can’t be detected with standard NODs.

Civvies can actually buy SWIR clip-ons.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikefraz
That Brolis unit, was neat

10D19E2E-2342-4CC1-9EBF-885857B3EDB1.jpeg

14022CAC-8438-41CC-9756-066BF6BF553B.jpeg

Following this conversation.
In reading the specifications the SWIR has twice the detection range of the LWIR. Battery life is better too. Im curious about the MSRP, and what magnification of the day scope it can handle..

Reactions: TheHorta
SWIR has some great features one of the less enjoyable features is price which is high. I tried to get one of the IR imaging houses into making SWIR imagers for field work and they declined as the numbers we needed was not enough to drive a new design. At the time they made SWIR imaging systems for lab use, and had much of the FLIR market.

Here is an imaging technology that would provide some coverage in the SWIR band if they can bring it out of the lab into working units, and once up and running the imagers would probably be much less than current SWIR state of the art.

If I recall correctly, the Brolis unit has a long range 1550 illuminator built in and a bunch of other insane features.

If I recall correctly, the Brolis unit has a long range 1550 illuminator built in and a bunch of other insane features.

Prettymuch all man-portable SWIR units come with Class 4 1550nm laser illuminators.

Saw a “Warrior HWH” SWIR thingy in a FB group some time ago, you could smell the agents luring behind all the way through FB’s servers...
but it got me wondering, how good has the swir tech become in recent years?
I know the platform stuff is bonkers, but the handheld stuff?

Are there any monocular or binocular SWIR systems that you can head mount? Or any 11769 or 10160 tubes with a different photocathode that can detect SWIR

Another great feature of 1500 nm illuminators, designators, LRF, etc is that the human eye filters out out 1500 nm much better than other bands commonly used. The eye safe power of 1500 nm is much greater than that of 805 nm at the same ranges, so the range of 1500 nm can be longer and still eyesafe. I have always been a little antsy when class IV illuminators in 805 range are brought out, reflections in the near range can easily cause eye damage unless correct eye protection is used.

Are there any monocular or binocular SWIR systems that you can head mount? Or any 11769 or 10160 tubes with a different photocathode that can detect SWIR

SPS.png

SPS (SWIR Pocket Scope)
Target Accuracy with Enhanced Situational Awareness
The compact SPS is a field-ready Short Wave Infrared (SWIR) viewer providing high resolution video during day and nighttime operations.

SPS.png

• Specifications
  • Compact
    6.0 x 2.6 x 3.0 inches (L x W x H) with 25 mm lens
  • Lightweight
    1 pound
  • Modular
    Interchangeable lens options
  • Enduring
    > 2 hours continuous operation at room temperature with 2 CR123A batteries
  • Sensitive
    Low light imaging and optimal detection of NIR pointers, 1.06 μm laser designators and 1.55 μm eye-safe laser rangefinders in day and night
  • Detailed
    640 x 500 resolution
  • Rugged
    MIL-STD-810G compliant design for temperature, transportability, immersion, sand, altitude, dust, and humidity
  • Versatile
    Helmet and rail mountable, adjustable reticle, digital zoom, media recording, compatible with other Sensors Unlimited lenses

maybe we will all live long enough to see these at Wallmarts

That looks a bit big to head mount?
Also how does SWIR compare to normal tubes do just plain seeing in the dark?

Last edited:
SWIR is the primary seek and destroy sensor on most ISR ground support drones, too. It’s a big plus that friendlies can use 1550nm strobes that can’t be detected with standard NODs.

Civvies can actually buy SWIR clip-ons.
I'm not sure I will ever be nice enough to get one of these for Christmas, maybe I'll put myself up for adoption. :Do_O

That looks a bit big to head mount?
Also how does SWIR compare to normal tubes do just plain seeing in the dark?

SWIR uses a sensor, just like LWIR, but detects short-wavelength IR versus long-wavelength. It uses a display screen and is not a passthrough like NV. The biggest advantage is that it is more “contrasty” than NV and can see right through smoke, fog and most other obscurants.

It combines some of the advantages of both NV and thermal, and can see through atmospherics. The downside is that it requires supplemental illumination when it gets really dark, like NV, but in the ~1500nm range (undetectable by NV).

SPS.png

SPS (SWIR Pocket Scope)
Target Accuracy with Enhanced Situational Awareness
The compact SPS is a field-ready Short Wave Infrared (SWIR) viewer providing high resolution video during day and nighttime operations.

From one of the pros in the business (Sensors Unlimited). I am surprised these are ITAR free, I wonder who manufactures the imager inside the "box".

ITAR regs were put in place inappropriately on firearm stuff but are very important on technology that could move someone forward on night vision. I just thought I would add that given the controversy that ITAR has caused in the last 7 or so years.

SWIR uses a sensor, just like LWIR, but detects short-wavelength IR versus long-wavelength. It uses a display screen and is not a passthrough like NV. The biggest advantage is that it is more “contrasty” than NV and can see right through smoke, fog and most other obscurants.

It combines some of the advantages of both NV and thermal, and can see through atmospherics. The downside is that it requires supplemental illumination when it gets really dark, like NV, but in the ~1500nm range (undetectable by NV).
What about DSNVG, ?
Do you have any hands on experince ?

Here is something I found on DSNVG

"ITT Exelis makes the Dual Sensor Night Vision Goggle (DSNVG). It is exceedingly cool. You can use it as a Gen 3 I² system and as a thermal camera. More importantly, you can flip a switch on this puppy and fuse the two images together. That means you can see a heat signature through smoke or fog and see an assailant hiding behind glass. There are only two major drawbacks to this system: It's hard to get because the military is sucking them up, and it is expensive, more than $10K."

Reactions: Jim Out
Actually, those specific ITT DSNVGs suck. The new crop of fusion binos are much better. The problem is, even with i2/LWIR fusion you still can’t see through atmospheric obscurants. Multi-spectral is the way to go, and we’re on our way there at least on things that can carry the package, like flying things and big rolling turds.

SWIR is great, but it just isn’t that helpful for the average hunter above what we already have, unless you are always in the fog. It’s awesome for S&R during forest fires and bad weather, and makes a great surveillance tool, but it’s just not a thing for most of us.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I have one of those swir pocket scopes at work and the equipment receipt says 28k.
How do you like it?

Do you know how that compares to something like this (or is this even more out of my price range):

Or maybe one of these?

Last edited:
How do you like it?
It does what it needs to well, but for the most part, I think SWIR doesn’t have a lot of applications outside of the military/law enforcement. The things it does are very useful from an ISR perspective, but that’s just one tool we have. If I wanted something for hunting use, I’d much rather a good thermal (MWIR or LWIR).

It does what it needs to well, but for the most part, I think SWIR doesn’t have a lot of applications outside of the military/law enforcement. The things it does are very useful from an ISR perspective, but that’s just one tool we have. If I wanted something for hunting use, I’d much rather a good thermal (MWIR or LWIR).
As far as a good thermal, I ordered a NOx, I guess they should ship soon?

I'm really looking forward to getting to experience the stuff wigwamitus has posted.

As for SWiR, I'm not a hunter, so the observation aspect and being able to see and photograph what's around me, both urban and when I go 4wheeling in the middle of nowhere here in AZ, is what I see being the main use of the gear.

The ability to run without lights and drive up on wildlife without scaring them off as well as being able to photograph is really appealing, when it's 100* at night that's the best time to go 4wheeling.

I'd like to see what I'm missing when I go night wheeling, that's when everything is most active in the desert.

I want to be able to see whatever is in the dark in an urban setting, I'd like to be able to see through glass so I can look out a window or see from inside a car.

I live right in the middle of downtown Tucson, but we have hawks, owls and coyotes in the garden, as well as the undesirable two legged wildlife, which I'd like to be able to see in the dark.

If I'm understanding the tech, it's pretty easy to ruin good nv with exposure to light, especially if I use it in an urban environment?

At the moment, SWIR is generally a rich-man's game. $20K plus for an entry-level unit.

If you hunt, LWIR thermal (everything else out there) is WAY better. Detecting heat signatures is far superior with LWIR.

If the hogs and yotes in your AO have 1550nm strobes blasting from their eyeballs, SWIR will be a big help. Otherwise, it's fancy tech that won't do nuttin' fer ya.

If I'm understanding the tech, it's pretty easy to ruin good nv with exposure to light, especially if I use it in an urban environment?

No, that's a generally inaccurate misunderstanding. Good NV works just fine in mixed lighting and in urban environments. If you stand and stare at a bright light for hours sure, you might burn a tube. If you're moving, there are zeros worries about tube damage.

No, that's a generally inaccurate misunderstanding. Good NV works just fine in mixed lighting and in urban environments. If you stand and stare at a bright light for hours sure, you might burn a tube. If you're moving, there are zeros worries about tube damage.
Thanks so much, the way this stuff works, or doesn't and the cost to get started is really intimidating especially as I'm wanting two of everything for my wife and myself.

I am kind of gifted at breaking stuff....derp.

But you've got to be good at something? Right?

• Haha
has there been any new development in this field?

Not really. As was mentioned above, SWIR isn't the advantage that a lot of people seem to think. It is better than I2 in some specific ways but it is also worse than LWIR/MWIR in other specific ways that probably reduce its utility to a civilian hunter. There are not really any MWIR or SWIR systems that aren't 50k+ that can be bought by civilians AFAIK. The closest I can think of is getting a grey market MAWL-CLAD and maybe trying to find a Safran ECOSI somewhere.

Last edited: