• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Switch barrel hunting/target rifle

jda2631

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2009
Mississippi
I'm about to build a 28 Nosler with a Bighorn TL3 action. Idea is to use it for hunting, but then buy a different barrel of a different caliber to practice with and plink with the rest of the year to not burn out the 28 nosler barrel and have something cheaper to load and shoot.

What should that 2nd caliber be? Looking for something that's pretty cheap to load and decent barrel life, going to be shooting steel out to 1000 tops. Never tried to shoot a short action cartridge out of a long action, does that cause feeding problems? It will be AICS style magazine. Caliber isn't a huge deal, but would prefer 6.5 or 7mm.

Since the 28 will be a LA, I would vote 284 Winchester- Great barrel life, minimal recoil (compared to 7mm Mag Cals), Lapua Brass (simply neck up 6.5-284 brass)- 3,000 FPS with 162 Amax or 168 VLDS out of a 26-28'' tube should not be too hard to achieve.

that looks very interesting. Not too familiar with that round, but quick google search and I like what I'm seeing!

6.5x55 swede, or an improved variant. Lapua brass is cheap and high quality, lots of 6.5mm bullet options that are reasonable cost.

Does the 28 nosler use the magnum bolt face? Are you going to get a different bolt, or do you need something with the same bolt face?

Does the 28 nosler use the magnum bolt face? Are you going to get a different bolt, or do you need something with the same bolt face?

28 Nosler does use a magnum bolt face, but the TL3 has swappable bolt heads that are very easily changed out. So its not a huge issue. I had looked at something like the 6.5 PRC due to it also using a magnum bolt face, but its just really new and can't find a whole lot of info on it.

There are ejection problems in my Surgeon XL, which is a long action, when I have my 6.5 Saum barrel on but feeding is perfect.

With TL3 I can't say.

I'd go with 6.5x55 for the reasons Sheldon mentioned if a repeater. Or shoot a 6mmBR with a sled in place of the mag as a single shot. Very low recoil, super accuracy and good barrel life.

The 284 and 6.5x55 both look like great options. On paper, they are going to use roughly the same amount of powder, the bullets I would most likely use (147 eldm and 162 eldm) have very similar BC's. Can get lapua brass for either. What are the pros and cons? Any inherent disadvantage to either one?

I’m doing a 7 RSAUM and 7mm08 on a TL3 short action. I’ll be using Hornany ELD’s for both

Why not do what the Europeans do?

Get a Blaser R8 Professional S with a barrel in 308 for training and a poweful magnum barrel for hunting. It works. Take a look at Thomas Haugland's "Long range blog" on youtube.

Eurooptics have them on sale in with one barrel for $2114.

Last edited: