• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Switch barrel: long action, short action, will this work?

libertyman777

Are you gonna eat that....
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2007
Heflin, Alabama
Ok I've got a question. If I understand the Remington/Tikka conversations, they are altered to rebarrel like a Savage with a barrel nut correct? And that means, like a Savage, I can control the headspace, right?

It seems to me that Tikka would be a strong candidate for a host since they only use one action size? But can Savage small shank prefits be used for this?

If I use a Savage LA, then I'll need to modify a mag for a single shot follower and only mag feed the long action rounds.

Or, can it be done the other way. Set up a short action and single feed long action rounds? Could this even be done, say with a .270 barrel threaded up into a Savage or Remington SA ?

Personally, I don't mind using a Savage. With the interchangeable bolt head, it opens up many more possibilities.

And let's face it, this is a novelty. I"m realistically never going to wear a rifle out. But I've always been fascinated with having a multi caliber bolt action rifle. I've been collecting brass for years at a public range and have lots of 270, 30'06, .243, 7mm-08 to name a few. Even 6.5X55, 8mm Mauser and 7.62x39. . Lot's of takeoff barrels out there for Savage too. Also, if we do every descend into anarchy, it'll be nice to have options lol.

Anyway, what about the LA/SA?

Tikka’s have a different thread for the tenon.

I’ve seen someone single loading 280 AI into a savage short action.

You can run short action cartridges in a long action.

Ok I've got a question. If I understand the Remington/Tikka conversations, they are altered to rebarrel like a Savage with a barrel nut correct? And that means, like a Savage, I can control the headspace, right?

It seems to me that Tikka would be a strong candidate for a host since they only use one action size? But can Savage small shank prefits be used for this?

If I use a Savage LA, then I'll need to modify a mag for a single shot follower and only mag feed the long action rounds.

Or, can it be done the other way. Set up a short action and single feed long action rounds? Could this even be done, say with a .270 barrel threaded up into a Savage or Remington SA ?

Personally, I don't mind using a Savage. With the interchangeable bolt head, it opens up many more possibilities.

And let's face it, this is a novelty. I"m realistically never going to wear a rifle out. But I've always been fascinated with having a multi caliber bolt action rifle. I've been collecting brass for years at a public range and have lots of 270, 30'06, .243, 7mm-08 to name a few. Even 6.5X55, 8mm Mauser and 7.62x39. . Lot's of takeoff barrels out there for Savage too. Also, if we do every descend into anarchy, it'll be nice to have options lol.

Anyway, what about the LA/SA?
If concerned about anarchy just get a 2 rifles, a 308 Bolt gun and a AR in 223 wylde.

Reactions: b6graham

Nope, as has been stated its a different thread pattern between savage and tikka but there are two who do this already with barrel nuts for tikka

I wouldn’t pick up mixed range brass, and if you want to shoot LA/SA in the same rifle go AXMC, DTA, Mrad

Before you spend any money on switch barrels, check out the posts by @reubenski and @Carl_Ross. If you go a different route at least you can't say you didn't know better.

I've done what you're looking at, I shoot 300wm and 6.5cm out of the same rifle, 700 BDL Long action. Accurate and reliable, but barrel swaps my way is more of a PITA than what the other two gents are doing. I highly recommend you read everything from those gents on switch barrels. If it's still not tripping your trigger take a hard look at DT or AI, like has been said above.

Good luck

God bless America

Last edited: