• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Switch primer ?

apapig

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2013
I am new to reloading and want to learn about changing primers. Presently I am loading for a 223 with Win. brass and Win. small rifle primers, 20.8 gr. of H335 with a 55 gr. Hornady V-Max. My question is can I substitute CCi or Federal primers in place of the Win. primers?

+1
Particular primers is no an issue unless you are shooting sub-½" groups and want to try to reduce it another 0.05" or so.

If you are at/near max loads, back off a little at first until you're sure the new primers don't boost pressures. I haven't checked specs, but 20.8 grains H335 sounds very light anyway, in which case you're safe. In any case it may affect groups or POI, but in my experience that change has been minimal.

If you are shooting this in an Ar-15 Platform I would recommend CCI Small Rifle Mag Primer.Thicker cup which adds a factor of safety with a free floating firing pin.The CCI MIL Spec Primers will work as well .The hotter primer will also do a better job igniting a ball powder in cold weather.I have also have had good results with Wolf Small Rifle mag primers with RL-15 and IMR 8208 Powders.I find the Winchester primers a little soft for higher pressure loads.Good luck with your new hobby reloading.

Regards,Mike