• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Switch scope between rimfire and centerfire guns?

higginsworksforme

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2009
Kentucky
Is it feasible to switch a scope back and forth between rifles? Specifically I'm wondering about doing it between a rimfire and centerfire rifle, as I have more opportunity to shoot the small gun. Technically it sounds ok in my brain but in actual use it just seems like a bad idea.

You’ll be on the paper for sure. I was pleasantly surprised when I pulled my scope from my 22lr (50y zero) and I was about a mil off zero with my new 6CM at 100y. This was in a Spuhr mount.

Yeah it can be done but as mentioned it gets old if moving them a lot. Also when burning 6mm barrel life to rezero each time it will be a pain in that respect too.

Do you have the scope already?

Reactions: FuhQ
Well then you might want to figure out the end use and try and budget for a scope on each rifle.

Reactions: simonp and FuhQ
It can be done not as easy as having separate scopes.
20200227_155824.jpg

22 setup for ELR, 30 MOA rings with NF ATACR

Annie.jpg

Setup for 50 ft benchrest (NF will not focus at that distance)

Assuming you are comfortable and competent with scope mounting and zeroing should be less than
5 rounds to zero after moving.

Yeah it can be done but as mentioned it gets old if moving them a lot. Also when burning 6mm barrel life to rezero each time it will be a pain in that respect too.

Do you have the scope already?
How much different is barrel life between 6 and 6.5?

do yourself a favor and just buy 2 scopes. Something like 2 Venoms or 2 Arkens till you figure out which rifle you shoot the most and upgrade that rifle.

M

Reactions: higginsworksforme
I'll go against the grain and say I do what the OP is asking about. I switch my ZCO between my centerfire and rimfire because the scope is that much better than my backup and it takes a lot (A LOT) of rounds rezeroing to pay for another ZCO.

It is inconvenient, especially going from the rimfire to centerfire, but it's much more affordable than another alpha tier tube. My POI shift has been enough to take me off a standard 12-14" target at 100 yds though, ymmv. My go-to recommendation for zeroing a CF rifle is always to put one hole in paper at 25 yards, then adjust the POA to the same height over POI as your sight-over-bore dimension. That'll get you very close to zero at 100 yds in one shot, then you can go get a true 100 yd zero.

Sadly, don't always have access to a 25-yd line, so it's not a perfect solution.

As others have said, sure it can be done, QR mount, Rail on both rifles, but depending on how often you swap it will get real old, real fast..

You dont need a QR mount, in fact just about all of them will have more POI shift than something you torque down.

It takes 30 seconds to mount a scope to a rifle.
I guess it all depends on your tolerance for nonsense. Never had a problem with QR mounts. For me the hassle of changing score was not worth the effort.

I've done a fair bit of scope switching, it's really not that difficult.
It you have the ability to easily confirm zero should you need to the there is really no downside.

The only rings I've found that did RTZ were Burris XTR rings, which I think is due to the floating clamp design.

At minimum I shoot my 22lr 20x as much as my centrefire rifles.
The zero from my 22lr match rifle to my 6.5CM match rifle is .7mil left, same elevation.
So long as you don't get lost and forget what you are zeroed for, not much can go wrong. If you do get lost then you can rezero it on your 22lr (cheap ammo, barrel life etc) then you are back to a known point.

Depending on how different your zero settings are, you may be able to just use offsets in your ballistic calculator rather than physically resetting the turrets, that way you can't really get lost in the first place.

I’m having this same dilemma. Had to leave the game earlier in the year for health reasons. Built a Vudoo and Impact 6 GT over the past two weeks. Bought a Gen III Razor and Burris XTR III, and then sold both of those new for what I gave for them to buy a like new ZCO.

Now I’m scouring the PX for a very cheap temporary 34mm scope.

I still don’t regret my decision to get the ZCO. Both actions will share an Envy Pro for now.

I have a Blaser R8 Professional Success in 22LR / 6XC / 7x64 / 300Norma magnum. The 22LR and 7x64 scope is swapped back and forth with excellent return to zero and the offsets for the 22LR just entered on the turrets. Works perfect.

Reactions: beetroot
I’m having this same dilemma. Had to leave the game earlier in the year for health reasons. Built a Vudoo and Impact 6 GT over the past two weeks. Bought a Gen III Razor and Burris XTR III, and then sold both of those new for what I gave for them to buy a like new ZCO.

Now I’m scouring the PX for a very cheap temporary 34mm scope.

I still don’t regret my decision to get the ZCO. Both actions will share an Envy Pro for now.
I agree with the ZCO move, I recently found them and my wallet is still crying, but they are great.

I agree with the ZCO move, I recently found them and my wallet is still crying, but they are great.
I don’t. That Razor III is about 95% the scope of the ZCO and the Burris would have done fine as well but now he has to be swapping for a small upgrade in glass and having to use 36mm rings/mount. To each his own though.

Reactions: FuhQ and DLS