• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Switching from NXS to Razer HD

njlohmann

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2011
South Central MN
I am currently running a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x56 with zs on my Remington 700 AICS.

There is nothing wrong with my current setup but I'm thinking of switching to a Vortex Razor HD simply because I think I may like it better.

I'm trying to figure out if switching is going to be worth the time and how noticeable the improvement would be.

I have been racking my brain trying to decide what to do for a while now and I figured I would turn it over to the hide.

Also, If anyone that has one lives around southern MN and could let me take a look at theirs I would greatly appreciate it.

Re: Switching from NXS to Razer HD

the razor is a great scope i have 2 of them, its a beast though. fairly good sized scope.

I baught a Razor to replace my Nightforce.They're a good scope.Probably the best customer service in the industry.But did eventualy trade it for another Nightforce.

The elevation turret on the razor is huge!!! Lol

I'd pin the difference down to FFP vs SFP.The two scopes are very close in quality.

I sold a couple NF 5.5-22's just because I prefer FFP. Actually I sold a Razor I had too. Not that there's anything wrong with them,just that I like Horus reticles and prefer 10 mil knobs. I ended up with a NF F1/HS,ZS,H-58 but find myself wanting more mag sometimes.So I got a HDMR/H-59-(more on the way)that I'm very satisfied with.The glass on the HDMR I have is right up there with S$B.It lacks a few features I want but satisfies most of my long range needs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jake_c02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The elevation turret on the razor is huge!!! Lol</div></div>

Yah, one of the few things I don't really like about the Razor is how odd it looks. The Nightforce, on the other hand, looks nice and well balanced. I know that is quite unimportant when we are talking about performance but still. Why couldn't they make the Razor look sleek and sexy like the Nightforce?

If the reason for the switch is to go to FFP, then it's not a bad idea. If you are switching for different glass, I really don't see the point when you could pony up a few more dollars and get into some German glass. Just me thinking aloud, though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njlohmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jake_c02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The elevation turret on the razor is huge!!! Lol</div></div>

Yah, one of the few things I don't really like about the Razor is how odd it looks. The Nightforce, on the other hand, looks nice and well balanced. I know that is quite unimportant when we are talking about performance but still. Why couldn't they make the Razor look sleek and sexy like the Nightforce? </div></div>
Well, I only cared how things looked <span style="font-style: italic">through</span> the Razor. Liked that, thought their reticle is the best I've seen so far - now got two Razors.

Can't comment on the balance - the scope sure is large, and it's anything but light - but sitting on a rifle that sits on a bipod it's a piece of cake. I never liked offhand shots with a precision (read - heavy!) rifle anyway. Now factor the caliber in, e.g., 338LM - and suddenly offhand isn't a reasonable option any more, and the more weight I can put on the darn thing to stabilize it even more - the better!
wink.gif

P.S. "Sexy" scope is way too subjective - I don't think NF or S&B "look" any better than e.g., Razor. A scope is a scope, not a Marilyn Monroe (in case you haven't noticed
smile.gif
).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
P.S. "Sexy" scope is way too subjective - I don't think NF or S&B "look" any better than e.g., Razor. A scope is a scope, not a Marilyn Monroe (in case you haven't noticed
smile.gif
).</div></div>

I know, I am just being a baby about it. I think I will ultimately choose the Vortex after all the information I have read on them.

P.S. Is the Razor reticle easier to see then NF reticle? On my NF I sometimes have a tough time getting it just right.

The E2B reticle on the Razor cannot be lost; very easy to see

I had a EBR-2 and the windage dots were pretty difficult for me to pick up, however the main crosshair was easy to see.

I sent my razor back for a couple of issues (didn't affect function or tracking) and asked if I could swap to the EBR-2B reticle. They gave me a entirely different scope with the EBR-2B reticle free of charge!

The EBR-2B reticle's holdover dots were much much easier to see.

Very happy with my purchase

The size of the elevation turret is a plus not a negative for me, the EBR-2B reticle is damn near perfect for what I use the optic for/on, as mentioned it is on the heavy side of things.

Ask yourself a question, where does your current optic fall short? Do the features on the Razor bridge the gap between what you currently have and what you need?

Fit the functionality and features of the optic to your intended use, the "looks" should be extremely far down the list when defining the delta +-.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phreakmode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Ask yourself a question, where does your current optic fall short? Do the features on the Razor bridge the gap between what you currently have and what you need?

</div></div>
Do I "need" to upgrade my optics?
No, my current optic does not fall short of my "needs" in any way. However, I would like to point out that I am not upgrading because I "need" to. I am simply upgrading because I "would like" to. This is not a work or service rifle, it is simply my personal rifle. It is the rifle that I use while engaging in recreational and occasionally competitive shooting. This is my hobby, It is what I do when I have time off. Because of this, the "need" factor is virtually non-existent. I understand and highly respect where you are coming from with your question. If this were a work/service rifle then having a visually pleasing rifle would not even make it on the long list of needs. However, because it is not that kind of rifle, I just thought that I should point it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucksthename</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go for it, throw the NF on the EE</div></div>

It's already up