• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Switching Primers?

CZp-01

i dindu nuffin
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2018
S.E. Mass
I've only loaded with CCi #200 LRP. I recently scored 5k Federal #210 for short money. So, know that I want to switch will I see any difference in velocity with just changing primers?
Should I reduce the load a bit to check it out? Or am I good to go?

Thanks

It would always be a good idea to reduce the load to start especially if you're at the upper limit. Either way it wouldn't hurt. I've also known loads to change slightly with different primers, so something to look for if it's throwing your accuracy or sd off

It would always be a good idea to reduce the load to start especially if you're at the upper limit. Either way it wouldn't hurt. I've also known loads to change slightly with different primers, so something to look for if it's throwing your accuracy or sd off
Thanks, wanted to get another opinion. I'll come down and see what it looks like.

You definitely need to play with charge weights if you're interested in accuracy.

Here is a link showing primer flame images...

You definitely need to play with charge weights if you're interested in accuracy.

Here is a link showing primer flame images...

Thank you!

Assuming you’re not at the high end already, I’d either:

load in .2gr increments up to .6 or 1gr either side of your current charge and find powder node via chrono. Then tweak seating depth.

or

Do a primer test and find your general powder node and then do .2 increments up to 1gr each side. Then tweak seating depth.

Primer, powder, and brass prep is going to be your ignition/combustion and will show accordingly on your chrono.

Accuracy is going to the the tuning/harmonics, mainly controlled by seating depth (and neck tension depending) and will show accordingly on paper.

I've only loaded with CCi #200 LRP. I recently scored 5k Federal #210 for short money. So, know that I want to switch will I see any difference in velocity with just changing primers?
Should I reduce the load a bit to check it out? Or am I good to go?

Thanks

You're good to go.