• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

System Insight

Re: System Insight

I just finished the test action so I thought I would share a few pics.

VM_action_3.JPG

VM_action_2.JPG

VM_action.JPG

I took a Lawton 8000 Receiver and did some minor work to it.
I had to open up the ejection port slightly to fit the larger case vs the Cheytac. Nothing else was done to the receiver.

I built a whole new bolt, I used the existing striker assembly and extractor. I cut the new bolt for a Rem 700 Ejector. The Handle and bolt body is 17-4 stainless, the locking lugs are 4140 steel. The locking lugs are .900 long vs the Lawton lugs at .760 long. I used my 4th Axis mill to
do the Helical flutes and locking lugs. The finish is KG Gunkote OD Green.

The 375VM standard neck case is pictured, loaded with 370gn Rocky Mountain alum tipped custom bullet.

The Reamers should be here in about 3-4 weeks.

Very impressive Dave.
You are always on the cutting edge.
How did you decide on a 27 degree shoulder ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bluejazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very impressive Dave.
You are always on the cutting edge.
How did you decide on a 27 degree shoulder ? </div></div>

The original 416VM case has a 35deg shoulder, since this might be used for the military we have to take in account
the repeater rifle feeding issues. With the 27deg shoulder it increases the capacity of the case without having to move the shoulder forward.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Desert Tactical</span> will be using thier HTI 50cal platform for
testing of this case. They will have it repeater ready with
some changes to the existing magazine system.

Dave

I thought it might be a feeding issue. Can you imagine the fire power of this caliber in a gatelin gun type setup. You could cut down solid cement walls.

Here is a comparison pic.

Top is the original 416VM case
Next 375VM with standard neck
Tiny 308 Win shell
and last is the 414gn GS custom bullet

VM_cases.JPG

Dave

OMFSM! That bullet's close to 3" long!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OMFSM! That bullet's close to 3" long! </div></div>

That why gotta have .75" neck on the brass...man this is gonna be fun.

Hey guys! Ya, it's been a while, but I've been busy. Got a few things I wanted to share with you. Kelly, the bullet weight is the same, and B.C. is very close...it has come down a tiny bit on the top end, and this was necessary to adjust the flight characteristics, but has come up on the bottom end! Yes Louis, I'm sure you are happy about that part. One thing to note is twist. Over spinning the bullet does not compensate for issues in the design. Gain twist does not fix it, nor will it increase accuracy. The simple straight 8 is just fine, maybe even better, and that is proven. When Dave fired the first batch he got one oblong hole at 100, but the bullets opened up at 500, so it's in the design that the issue is found, not the barrel. In-fact, it turns out the flaw was already know, and really has been known for many years, but that's a good thing. The data gained from the testing has shown us where to adjust and where not too. One must find the edge of the cliff before knowing where the best view is. Bullets on their way to Dave, and Mk2 even gives 2mm less case intrusion. So all is well. Timing is right so all components should be arriving around the same time, and even subsonic flight has been improved...so who knows how far the effective range will be. Dave, you just might have to venture out to WY.

Later

Looks like that barrel was put on a diet from what she used to look like,LOL

Is that the barrel from Mike@ABS? I like the SBR Subsonic. No, that must be the fast twister. Looks good! When's the reamer supposed to arrive?

No Anthony, it is a Bartlein that was specified, for the ZA375/7.0-M, when CK was anticipating an upgrade to his now sold Windrunner.

Later's rifle will give you a good chance to test your theory that the only flawed component of your test was the GS/7.0.

The ZA375/7.0-M (420 grain) projectile was written about nearly 1 1/2 years ago in this forum. It stabilized at 2,600 fps from an 8" twist to produce sub-half MOA groups at distances beyond 1,000 yards. From a LGT (linear gain-twist) 6.5" it stabilized, with equal results, at 2,800 fps. Stabilization velocity was further increased since then. It is capable of being pushed to 2,970 fps using a standard Cheytac case, and US869. This topic is being treated as experimental in this thread, and it is not.

I really do not understand why Anthony does not use the GS375/7.0-"420" grain (Hmmm) that he had "already proven" past 3,400 fps last January.
wink.gif

Anyone who wants to purchase them (the ZA), feel free to PM me.

The only thing holding up general distribution of all 6.5+ caliber projectiles is a readily available supply of match grade VGT (variable gain-twist) barrels, and I am taking care of this myself next week. Custom brass will be addressed at the same time.

url]
[/img]

Note: The variable gain-twist rifling geometry is a substantive improvement over the LGT.

To Noel:

Thanks for the update, but I was on to it...as I said, the fast twister, is the Bartlein barrel Later and I have spoke about. It just looks like it has a sleeve over it, as I have seen Mike do before. And yes, I know it was specified for your experimentation, but why is it not being used for it then? You didn't really need to jump in and give a speech, but thanks anyways. Fact is, it's a really fast twist and isn't necessary, but sure, why not right?

And thanks for telling me Louis's rifle will be a good platform to test the bullets, just what I needed. Fact is, there are now some 4 rifles built up and ready to test the bullets, which has already been done. I like how you take the opportunity to throw in that little "only flawed component" bit. Just like I though you would; predictable. You then even, once again, name our bullets under your own classification system; why? It's called the 414 grain .375SP. Like most people, we just name the bullet by weight and caliber-simple. Then you go on to sell us on your bullets, talking about how this isn't experimental, yet the thread is about the system from DTA and includes a complete cartridge/bullet combination, so yes, it's still experimental until the rifle is complete. So if your 420 grain bullet is proven, and you can get 3,200+fps out of a standard CT case, then what are we all waiting for? Chey-Tac would be out-classed already and everyone would be shooting your stuff. Why aren't you winning competitions with it, and selling them to the military? Honestly, not and attack at all; get them into the hands of our soldiers! And why do you keep changing? What about your powdered tungsten core bullets? Have you had the chance to see that 4, yes 4, companies already have patents on that technology? Solid you say? Two more have patents, even have one right next to me, as I have made tungsten bullets for 3 years now, but they are not good (as you say) for your intentions. You called me to give me some good advice, so let me return the favor: spare yourself the trouble and call around to see what patent you can use to make those bullets. Oh, and I do really hope they work out, because it would be great to see anything better then the 1+MOA these other companies can get.

Why am I bothering with this, I don't know. I'm just upset that you constantly follow GS Custom around trying to walk in our shoes, use our ideas and creations, preach about our concepts, spout lies and slither in degrading comments in some silly attempt to make us look band and drum-up business for yourself. You even go so far as to send us on a wild goose chase with the ATF, spouting false accusations! Yes, great idea. Yes it bothers me. You try to "Obama" you way around, even calling me to try and get information from me, insulting me, talking down to me, and have a very nice way to justify it as a gesture of kindness. I'm sure you will even have a well-worded rebuttle to this post, but the fact is you are full of hot air. You are careful with exposing yourself with these details, but you should lay off before you do, or is it too late I wonder? We produce load data, you claim it as your own. We spec a long case neck, you take it as your own notion. We start a project, you claim the very same thing the second you hear about what we are doing. You bring Terry in to back you up or throw out some claims and throw further insults, but where are the results from others shooting it? Surely if it was such a spectacular system, you would be showing us all up with Medals and trophys, contracts and sales, not on the various forums thowing in your misguided comments. You say stuff like "Oh, you don't know how to make a bullet for my purpose. No, no, no you don't! You have no idea..." Listen, this isn't our first day on the job, if you recall.

You even try to make some silly sideline notion that we are using or stealing your ideas. Well, the weight is just that, because we were asked to fix what you broke. The bullets you made did not perform as you stated, so we were asked to replace them. That is what we did, and it turns out the bullets were 414 grains instead of 420. Point is, the number of customers who asked us for these bullets are getting just what they asked for, and it takes more then one design to fill those needs. Yes, we tried using our original version for this application and it started to turn at 535 yards, so we fixed it. Not bad for only spending such a short amount of time on it (Jan? where did you get that?) I did not prove them past 3,400, but rather said they would be good up to 3400, and I was mistaken. Not GS, but me, and I take responsibility for that. The private firm we made them for is happy with what we sent them, and that is all I got, as I stated. And we did have successful testing even here, but it was preliminary and was intended as such. We said they were being tested and we held off selling even a single bullet until we got the results we wanted. It turns out Gerard pushed the design past where he knew it was good just to prove where the limits are, and the test functioned superbly for that cause. But Extreme Long Range Bullets are not new to us, so we know what we are doing, and you cannot deny that.

If you feel the need to pedal your bullets here, so be it, but stop trying to get everyone to purchase a barrel specific to your bullet so you can con them into buying some and testing them for you, then coming up with an excuse why they don't work; and trust me, I've heard quite a few of them. Is this an attempt at exclusivity? I'm sure it's not the supply of barrels. I know of two companies that have your "test barrels" standing by because they did not have a buyer. So how are you taking care of that yourself? Planning on making some barrels and custom brass (thought you were using standard CT cases to get your results)? If you are fronting the money, then good for you. We all have had to do that for our work, so glad you could join us. Taking deposits on bullets that have not been tested or proven is not good business, and you have been doing just that (yes, I can quote you on that one). As I recall, you are still working on getting the machines, right? Offering upgrades for those that have been waiting for such a long time. But you know what, I don't think anyone here who reads this should refrain from purchasing Noel's bullets. I am actually a huge supporter of anyone trying to improve the sport and it's military application, so please do test them. I don't think your bullets are bad Noel, just you. If you make a spectacular ELR, then I will buy them myself, just as I have offered to you. We are all simply trying to build a better long range system, so more power to you, but please refrain from the rubbish you bring to the table where we eat.

P.S. I still hold that gain twist has no advantages, and may be worse. Only need for it is if you are stripping your bands. If so, the design is flawed, not the barrel. And the stuff about constantly re-aligning the bullet axis in the bore doesn't add up. The bullet should be aligned to begin with, by design, and gain twisting it isn't going to fix that flaw. If your bullet is constantly moving in the bore, then it's too late. And the torque the gain twist puts on the bands will always cause excessive striping of a portion of the bands: you cannot change angle and not strip. This causes gas to slip by and accuracy potential to diminish, not to mention excessive copper fouling (or plasma copper deposits, as you say, and your bullets do not work well in such a place). But again, if it works for you, then don't listen to me, just my opinion. Shoot what you want.

Anthony,

I will attempt to respond to your comments without aggravating you any more than I already have. You should recall that it was <span style="font-style: italic">you</span> who initiated contact with me through a PM, and I called the telephone number that you supplied.

I could also quote earlier comments, from you, indicating your aknowledgement that I was ahead of you (GS Custom), in the ULR game, dated quite some time ago.

I could reference you to many threads on this, and other boards, that signaled not only what you have heard here, but directions I am going that you will be unlikely to ever follow.

All due respect to your future father-in-law, you are not doing Gerard any favors with your rant.

If I was following in your footsteps, I would be getting the results which you are. Everything that I have told you off-line is true. It is the information in this thread that needed to be placed in context. I am content that I have done that.

Best
Noel

Calling me "Obama" was absolutely vicious.
eek.gif
wink.gif

Noel,

You are only trying to discredit me. No need. GS Custom speaks for itself. I am merely telling you what you need to hear. I did not initiate contact, I gave you my phone number as a form of calm to your insults you threw at me online. No, you are not ahead of us, but you have been attempting some ELR projectiles for 375 for longer then us. Not ahead, but we didn't enter this 375 stuff until you failed to produce the bullet you claimed. Yes, you started here first, but not ELR first. Remember GS created the 295 338 in 2003 I believe. The 566 458 has been around a while, and we have designed ELR 50 bullets before up to 1270 grains, even the 355 375, but not this 375. It turns out the be the best combination we have seen yet, but we didn't go looking for it, it came to us.

As for your mysterious bullets we cannot make, or are unlikely to follow, I still have no idea what you are talking about. You like to keep it all hush-hush, but it's not. If it's ELR, we are there already, if it's weighted bullets or tipped bullets or tungsten bullets or AP, we have already gone there, we just don't go talking about it like you do. If it's hush hush, then it's hush hush, right? Yes, I know of all your dealings with attempting military contract "In's"; do recall I am in the military, was a Team3 armoror and still carry the TS clearance. No Black Ops projects with your name on it, and I personally was at Aberdeen proving grounds to see some of the testing on fast twist projectiles. Public info: Pac-Nor supplied the barrels, and I seen what Prodigy is doing...no relevance here. You should pick a dog that isn't in your cage to bark at.

Now comes the same stuff from you about my current father-in-law. It's not about him, it's about me and you. I'm not trying to do him any favors, I'm calling you out for who you are. I'm not ranting, I'm telling it like it is. If anyone doesn't like what I have to say, don't read it; it's not for them, it's for you Noel. And it's not about GS Custom bullets either. They are way beyond your reproach, and mine. It's about your BS. So curb your silver tung, go design a bullet that works (better) and leave us out of your little trifling.

P.S. No information here needed your adjustment.

I'm sure this has been thought about by minds much greater than mine but I have an idea about the problems or the bands stripping in a gain twist barrel.

Would it be at all advantageous for the lands of the barrel to start at a specific width and increase in width in dirrect proportion to the rate at witch the gain twist would be widening the groves on the bands. In my mine it works and would keep the gas seal and positive 100% contact between lands and driving bands. I'm more than certain that the logistics of such a barrel making procedure would mean that its not achievable at the moment but with a modified cut rifling machine with CNC capability, I don't see why it could not be done.

Now tell me you've already tried it, That would make me feel smart (for a minute).
grin.gif

Flyboy,

You are touching upon one of the features which optimize VGT rifling geometry for use with an engraving-band projectile.

Treat yourself to "feeling smart" (for a minute ;)).

458, I read through this thread and am happy to see other people are pushing the envelope in the ELR game. The new case is very interesting and I wish you the best with the total system. I do still believe that a solid copper projectile in the 6.5 to 7 cal. class weighing from 400 to 420 gr. will not work from the 8 twist. I hope you can make it work because more barrels will be available.

I am going to take a stand here and predict the following:
1. The solid copper 6 cal. projos weighing around 370 gr. will work out of the 8 twist at velocities attainable from the Chey-tac case.
2.The 6.5 cal 400gr. solid copper will work out of the 6.5 exit twist; however, I think a 6 exit twist would be better. I will be doing extensive tests on this next wk and will come back and either confirm or deny my beliefs. I will be firing these into the sub-sonic realm. (Hopefully)
3.The 7 cal. 420 gr. will work in a 5.5 exit twist at 2900 to 3000 fps. It is my belief that at velocities past this point the 7 cal will be unstable at extended ranges. This has not been proven yet but is my prediction based on my observations of the characteristics of various configurations at various velocities from both 8 twists and 6.5 twists. I will have to wait on a barrel to finish the 7 cal. tests unless the two barrels you mentioned should become available. I would be interested in them if they are 5.5 exit twist.
4.The 6.5 and 7 cal 400 to 420 solid coppers will not stabilize out of an 8 twist at velocities the Chey-tac case is capable of pushing them. I realize these bullets may be accurate and stable at reduced velocities. When I say stable I am refering to stability and accuracy at maximum velocity at extended ranges. As far as I know the sub-sonic realm is still one of mystery as it relates to this class of projectile.

Well there you are and I sincerely hope you prove me wrong. If so I will be amoung the first to admit it and will come here to this forum to do so. I would ask that you do the same when the oblong and teardrop shaped holes start appearing on the paper. I can just about promise you that the barrel Lewis has will stabilize the 6.5 and 7 cals at much higher vel. and longer ranges than the 8 twist. Keep the rest of the folks posted. I already know what the results are going to be. I THINK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: runngun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Later,

Can this be easily made to work in a Barnard P-Chey action? </div></div>

I would contact Barnard to see what the issues might be by opening up the bolt face to .690 Extractor and ejector?
You might also have to open the ejection port a slight bit. On the Lawton 8000 i just have to skim a little on top and some on the bottom edge. I talked to lawton today and they will custom fit the bolt for this new case on request.

Dave

Dave,
Thanks for that, good to know. Looks like this VM might become more popular then expected!

Augustus,
Will let you know first thing. One thing that we do know is that it will work out of an 8 twist...and it wasn't the twist that was at fault, but rather the design. I could go deep into the explanation, but it's moot. Bullets are already on the way and will post results here first thing. By the way, I do see the logic in what you say, and it makes sense.

Flyboy,
Yes, it has been done before, but it's extremely hard, expensive and difficult to do accurately. The expense comes mostly from the complexity of the process, but some portion is attributed to the quantity...but the thing to note here is that it's not necessary and affords no advantage, so why go that route? The only thing that VGT barrels have ever provided is the less likelihood of stripping to-lightly constructed driving bands. Since the bands can be, and should be, and are made to handle standard twists, it's a moot point. Bullets cannot be made any longer due to stability down range, not twist, so spinning it faster does not offer any gain. I can see if one needs a 5.5 twist how the need for VGT would be founded, but that is not what we have found here at GS Custom Bullets. And if the issue is up in the air, then these tests will validate our findings. The thing that must be noted is that in both the linier gain twist and VGT barrels, they offer greater resistance to the bullet and allow for less velocity in the end, if not greater fouling and increased barrel heating. In the case of the widening lands, you still get all those disadvantages, along with more fouling (especially at the muzzle) and a greater likelihood of total stripping; losing the drive bands all-together. It would however provide less gas blow-by, but that's not the entire issue. If you look at the only advantage that any gain twist can afford is possibly less initial engraving force, but since it's already so low, this would be of little advantage. And modern slow burning powders make up for most of any differences. Funny thing is that the gain twist barrels, exponentially so with the really fast exit twists, actually increase the rifle torque! This is because this function in not only a formula of force vs resistance, but also duration. Point is, they are just not worth it, and they would be common place by now if they were.

Anthony,

"The only thing that VGT barrels have ever provided is the less likelihood of stripping to-lightly constructed driving bands."... Interesting... is the 120mm LGT rifled gun, on the British Challenger, a design compensation for weak projectile drive bands? The general consensus seems to be that this is the best rifled gun ever to be mounted on a tank.

"Since the bands can be, and should be, and are made to handle standard twists, it's a moot point."... The vast majority of artillery projectiles are under 5.5 calibers, so they do not need high twist-rates. Even the shells designed for high ballistic efficiency do not exceed 6.0 calibers. Twist-rates are as tight as twenty calibers for these beasts, which on a .375 would translate to a 1:7.5" exit-twist.

"Bullets cannot be made any longer (<span style="font-style: italic">than what</span>?) due to stability down range..."... You do realize that this has already been proven false, right? The issue has been one of stability of 6.5+ caliber projectiles at velocities exceeding 2,800 fps MV. I agree that the solution to this impediment currently exists, but I see nothing in your testing indicating that you are prepared to make predictions based upon observed results.

It actually took people, unassociated with the test "reports", speaking out in this thread, to even discover the GS/7.0 was not able to produce consistent results at 100 yards... and Augustus asked Dave this question directly.

"I can see if one needs a 5.5 twist how the need for VGT would be founded, but that is not what we have <span style="font-style: italic">found</span> here at GS Custom Bullets."... This sounds like you are speaking in behalf of GS. At what velocity has GS fired it's present iteration of the GS375/7.0, and what was the result from the 8" twist?

"The thing that must be noted is that in both the linier gain twist and VGT barrels, they offer greater resistance to the bullet and allow for less velocity in the end, if not greater fouling and increased barrel heating."... Can you explain the physics behind this claim? The mathematics are straight forward, and quantifiable with some effort (in case you think the opposing assertion is really up for debate).

"In the case of the widening lands, you still get all those disadvantages, along with more fouling (especially at the muzzle) and a greater likelihood of total stripping; losing the drive bands all-together."... You are actually making an assumption that is opposite to optimal rifling geometry. The lands <span style="font-style: italic">narrow</span> torward the muzzle in direct proportion to the increased rifling angle, but I am curious; can you tell me how you would cut this barrel with widening (or narrowing) lands Anthony, and where did you find one?

"It would however provide less gas blow-by, but that's not the entire issue."... Gas leakage is not an issue in either scenario.

"Funny thing is that the gain twist barrels, exponentially so with the really fast exit twists, actually increase the rifle torque!"... A constant twist for the last 2-3 inches at the muzzle prevents the possibility of barrel "whip", but your statement that this increases "torque" is simply false. In a given barrel length, and exit-twist, total rotational force is equal regardless of rifling geometries. You are probably referring to a torque "spike", and the only way to counter this is with a VGT rifling geometry. It is all about projectile acceleration rate, which varies with bullet mass, and propellant properties.

"If you look at the only advantage that any gain twist can afford is possibly less initial engraving force, but since it's already so low, this would be of little advantage."... VGT geometry is not intended to address "engraving force", but controlled axial force. You need to think problems through prior to offering an opinion, otherwise you will find yourself back-peddling on such things as 420 grain GS375/7.0 projectiles that you have "proven" at 3,500 fps MV.

"This is because this function in not only a formula of force vs resistance, but also duration. Point is, they are just not worth it, and they would be common place by now if they were."... The projectile which benefits from a VGT geometry would have to become "common" simultaneously with the barrel, wouldn't it?
wink.gif

You have yet to demonstrate that you have a GS that projectile that can fully utilize the VGT advantage.

Louis just spent $700, plus whatever it cost to contour a 1 3/4" diameter blank, in a bet against your folk wisdom. The only significant contribution, which your father-in-law made to this field, is at odds with your comments. I say that with the greatest respect for Gerard. You might want to have him releave you as a spokesman... unless you make it clear that you are speaking for yourself.

Even so, it would be better if you stopped confusing newcommers with your own confusion. The coming weeks will make all the interveining prattle irrelevant in any case.

Noel, you are a waist of time, and you are wrong.

The 120mm shoots armed warheads, and a slower spin up is needed...don't think we need that. We are talking rifle bullets, where do you come off with this? Tanks, really?

Your other data means nothing. So they don't make anything longer then 6.0, and that's because they choose stability. We are flirting with the edge of that, you know this, and it's what we have been talking about for months. Why bring it up?

Proven false, where? Um, you even said 7 is the limit, and we are playing with 6.5-7 and seeing just this, and you the same. And will you stop trying to categorize our bullets in your own way. Grow up and move on. I am and have been making predictions based off my own research and finding. That's just what we have been doing, so stop phishing, like you always do. And your lack of results with speed is because of your poor design. No, I won't tell you why.

No, the bullets shot exceptionally well at 100 yards, you are lying again. No one has said otherwise. If Augustus asked Dave directly, he would agree with me. Where do you get your BS?

Yes, you can do the math, but you have no idea what formula you are using. You are right in that it's not up for debate. Here's a simple break-down for you: with the increase of speed, exponentially friction goes up. If you are increasing spin after the bullet is moving, it offers more friction in the bore. this makes more fouling down the bore, more heat, more torque, and less velocity. It's simple really. And narrowing lands INCREASE gas blow-by, depositing more fouling down the bore, or plasma deposits as you call it. And just to inform you, LW did some testing years ago with hammer forging a tapered gain twist, as well as Dan Peterson with cutting slightly different twists to attain gain twist with variable land width. See, if you have actually been in the firearms community for a while, honorably, then you would have access to much more information that you have. And yes, the military has tested just about everything.
P.S. Gas blow-by is always an issue, for accuracy and for fouling.

Your barrel whip comment is just funny, I'm not even going to entertain you with an answer.

You attempt to lie again isn't working, but you are still pissing me off (though I do know it was your intended purpose from the beginning). First, your "controlled axial force" is spin-up torque, but you have to put a fancy name on things because you think you can talk down to me and try to baffle your way through here with BS, but the fact is most of us here are smart enough to see through it. Spin up is just what I talked about to begin with. If the bullet functions right in the first place, as our bullets do, they work in a standard twist. Since you cannot get your bullets to work in a standard twist, you use the gain twist as a way to fix it, just as I described to begin with. You don't even know enough to know how little you know. Stop reading everything online and try getting a real education like I have, three times.

No back-peddling, it's all been explained. And I'm man enough to admit I made a mistake. Sorry guys. But I finish what I started, and that's that. So why do you have to lie some more? Now it's 3,500fps? And there goes the re-naming game again. And I didn't say "I" proved they work, I got a report back they did, and it is still true. The only issue was they were not tested at range, and I was premature is saying how great they worked before testing them out farther. Fact is, they did just fine when and where they were tested, but we held off giving the OK and selling any until it was tested 100%, and that proved to be the right choice. I haven't taken anyone's money like you have. Christian up man!

"You have yet to demonstrate that you have a GS that projectile that can fully utilize the VGT advantage." Rather, VGT has yet to demonstrate an advantage to GS Custom Bullets. Where do you get this shit man? You will say just about anything to try and conjure up a debate or find doubt where it does not exist. Dude, move on.

Now you move on to Louis. First off, he's a big boy and can handle his own. Second, he only spent $700 on a barrel that was supposed to be yours, but you could not provide. He did it on his own, and the barrel will work just fine. Folk wisdom I do have, plus much more education on the subject then you do. And not just mine here, but a much more un-reproachable mind then my own. Not to mention the vast resources we have available to us, since we build bridges, not burn them like yourself. Nothing is at odds to my comments, you just make little interjections like this to spur debate and hopefully doubt, but it falls short.

Now I say this, I have always stated I speak for myself, but the bullets are from GS. He need not speak for me, as nothing here is questionable. I am not confusing anyone, rather it is you. I have asked nothing more then to stick to the conventional, and keep it simple. You try to complicate everything, debate over anything you can find or get a chance to, and try to stick people with specialized excusive barrels like you did with the barrel Louis has, just for your own gain. You are a liar and a fraud and a waist of time.

Now Noel, If you insult me again, I will expose you for the criminal you are. Don't push me on this, because you know it's true and you know I can. I ask you please, leave this alone, I am done playing with you.

Noel, the Brits went with a rifled gun to shoot HEP/HESH and HEAT rounds more accurately. Rifled bore helps those in that respect. But has the downside complicating the use of APFSDS-T which is better if it doesn't spin.
The rest of NATO uses smoothbore and last I read the Brits were also moving to smoothbore guns.

Well Well Well..I have watched this for too long without replying so here goes. It is time to layout all the history of MY project..not Noels as he hinted to in regards of trying to tell someone that this has all been done and check dates on this forum(more on those dates later on) and not Anthonys' and he mentioned it wasn't.

This project began a few years ago with me contacting Lutz Moeller in Germany to build me a better .375 projectile that would do 3000m supersonic and not need a lrbt rifling profile. I conversed with him for few months and it was concluded that using the 408CT as the parent case that we were not going to achieve the results I wanted for various reasons. Lutz mentioned that if I went to a different case that would allow me better interior ballistics that he could then build me the projectile for it. At this time is when he mentioned about a "special" barrel that would just be magical and that the barrel was going to be made by gentleman in the USA by name of Noel Carlson.
So I began talking with Noel about this project. Remember at this time in life Noel was going to be the barrel guy ONLY and Lutz Moeller was still going to make the bullet. Talks progressed in regards to case design and Noel said he already had the design worked out and was awaiting propellant solutions. Time went on and then all the sudden Noel said he was going to be making ALL the components and actually began bad mouthing Lutz Moeller all over the www. At these time Noel made these .375 projectiles which from the BEGINNING I said for people to change to them they would have to be for current twist rates of 11.5..well they did not work in that twist. Then it was told they needed a 10 twist..well I got one of those and did not work. Then it was they need an 8 twist..guess what I got 2 of those and did not work (even though somehow Noel and Augustus claiming stability beyond 1k at able to get 3100+ fps from normal Cheytac case)..Well it is time I call BULLSHIT and demand the showing of chrono numbers and the targets. Because if you got 3100+ with that bullet being stable it would be king of hill right NOW and you would not be trying to go down to a 5.5 twist would you?

It was at this time that none my twist rates worked for Noel bullet that I continued my quest for better .375(well any size really lol). So when my search continued I stopped talking with Noel because in just a few months he went from knowing nothing about ELR shooting and what was needed to being the end all say all expert. Not only in the bullet world but even had the knowledge to attempt to dispute the guy that wrote the ELR book (literally lol) on bipod designs and how Noel bipod was going to be soooo much better due to this and that...ANYONE got their Noel bipod???? Anyone????

Another example---I come to work for Desert Tactical Arms in November of this past year and up until Shot Show very few people even knew that. Well I am at the booth and gentleman walks up and ask if I knew Noel Carlson. Well I did so I said yes I do (unknowing what was about to transpire)..Gentleman from yick yack company says well good you must be the guy he scheduled the meeting for us with. Really??? Because nobody knew “I” was working for DTA. So gentleman goes on about that Noel said DTA needed a newer lightweight stronger metal alloy and Noel scheduled the appointment for them to talk to me. I got no idea about this so I turn to the purchasing manager and ask him if we were looking for new alloy. He said with odd look on his face a blatant NO. So at this point Noel is expert on bullets, bipods, case designs, barrels and now gun manufacturing..of which NONE he has produced and shown to work.

I even had people calling me saying that you told them that DTA was going to be shooting your .338 and .50 projectiles and they wanted to know how they performed. DTA didn't even open the ammo you dropped off one day while the owner and myself were out shooting. And you know that because you picked it back up. Yet even after that I had people calling about how they been told this and that.

Now you concerned about what I spent on a barrel..WTF Really..you wanted 5K from me for some super duber barrel startup, you sent me and some my friends an email about a super duper rifle you were building in .22cal to test your bullet designs with price of over 2K for barreled action to test something that nobody knew if would work or not..... but I would like to know if you expressed that concern when you called the gentleman I purchased it from and grilled him for selling it.

And then in my thread you attempt to peddle your projectiles..hahahahaha. Maybe you should have listed the names and date of payment of the people that have long long ago purchased bullets from you instead of telling people if they want your bullet to PM you.

BOTTOM LINE IS---My name never needs to come out of you mouth in any type of conversation!!! You need to back off and STFU until you delivery proof on anything you spout off about. Until then its all mythical and magical. You should have caught the hint when I wasn't replying that I was attempting to be nice and respectful and you should have cut the conversation there, but you didn't so here is my reply. REMEMBER before you even reply to this..I still talk to people on a daily basis that I introduced you to and I know firsthand what they are going thru in regards to your projectiles.

Cardinal,

You are absolutely correct about the transition to the German 120mm smooth-bore.

Later,

As you know, the barrel has always been my primary focus. Does Lutz's "Viking", or LM-119, fly at all to your knowledge? "So gentleman goes on about that Noel said DTA needed a newer lightweight stronger metal alloy and Noel scheduled the appointment for them to talk to me."... Your ego has gotten the best of you Louis. I would not send anyone to talk to you about that, or anything else along those lines. The man you mentioned was a Carpenter represenative, looking for your boss to cover a topic which I had already breached with him regarding the receiver.

"DTA didn't even open the ammo you dropped off one day while the owner and myself were out shooting."... You do understand the distinction between projectiles and "ammo"? The primary purpose was to check magazine feeding from the DTA, and you can bet that I was not pleased to find the ZAs sitting on your desk when we went looking for them.

"Now you concerned about what I spent on a barrel..WTF Really..."... Not concerned Louis, curious. Why did you want a barrel that Anthony says is unnecessary?

"you wanted 5K from me for some super duber barrel startup, you sent me and some my friends an email about a super duper rifle you were building..."... The "super duper" barrel is not even steel Louis.

"And then in my thread you attempt to peddle your projectiles..hahahahaha. Maybe you should have listed the names and date of payment of the people that have long long ago purchased bullets from you instead of telling people if they want your bullet to PM you."... Your interest is telling Louis.
grin.gif

"So at this point Noel is expert on bullets, bipods, case designs, barrels and now gun manufacturing..of which NONE he has produced and shown to work."... Louis, you are not expecting reports from me are you? I have had serious reservations about your common sense, notwithstanding an NDA, ever since you announced (without warning) that you were stuffing a 900 grain 50 cal ZA into a 20mm Vulcan case. How is the "Diplomat" project coming? The bipod, bullets, case designs, and barrels will appear for release when I feel they are ready, and no sooner. Why would you expect anything else?

"Noel and Augustus claiming stability beyond 1k at able to get 3100+ fps from normal Cheytac case)..Well it is time I call BULLSHIT and demand the showing of chrono numbers and the targets."... This is some BS that you will be eating.
smirk.gif

Best,
Noel

PS; Did you ever pay Bartlein for those two barrels you ordered, and left sitting on their shop floor?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Noel Carlson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
PS; Did you ever pay Bartlein for those two barrels you ordered, and left sitting on their shop floor?
</div></div>

Absolutely not and will tell you just as I told them...They took it upon themselves to email with you and get rifling profile..which was not the rifling profile I wanted at that time. They took it upon themselves that my only projects were ones with you..Well they probably didn't take it upon themselves and more like you done the advising.
Did you and your other barrel makers follow thru with the lawsuit you were planning against Bartlein to stop them from a barrel making patent they were working on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Noel Carlson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your ego has gotten the best of you Louis. I would not send anyone to talk to you about that, or anything else along those lines. The man you mentioned was a Carpenter represenative, looking for your boss to cover a topic which I had already breached with him regarding the receiver.</div></div>

WOW you would think that my boss would have known about such huh and/or you would have given guy a proper name of someone to talk to.

Here is my two cents. I have shot projectiles that Noel sent me. I have posted the results, good, bad, or ugly. I would ask that anyone wanting to know the results of my tests go back and read the posts that I made and disregard anything other people have to say about such tests.

I have developed opinions about the characteristics of the projos longer than six cal. and have posted those opinions. I may be wrong; however, I have not been proven wrong yet. Again I will predict it is not possible to stabilize a 6.5 - 7 cal projo designed for max BC out of an 8 twist at max. velocities from the Chey-tac case. It may be possible to do this from tighter twists. I have not weighed in about the gain twist barrels. I fired these projos from a constant 8 twist and the bands held up fine. They may withstand constant twists up to 5.5, I simply dont know and I doubt anyone else has the answer to this question.

Everyone involved in this knows we are walking on the edge and frankly everyone is attempting to find ecactly how far things can be pushed. Mistakes have been made and mistakes will continue to be made. There will probably be statements made in the future about stability, velocities, BC etc which will have to be retracted and adjusted. Hell look at Berger with all its experience in the production of jacketed bullets. It is painfully appearant they are having issues with the 300 gr 338. They have adjusted the BC down from .9ish to .8ish. Thats a bunch, also they are finding it wont fly at velocities the cases these days can push them.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath and chill out a little. The bottom line is these long projos are what they are and they will do what they do. It will just take time, effort, and patience to get they whole system perfected. In the end there probably will be several choices that are very close in performance. As with any other business, the folks that can best serve the consumer will come out on top. I will be buying from whoever that may be.

I hope you all continue what your doing individually and keep as many lawyers out of it as possible, seems to slow things down.

Acknowledging all the points of view on application about such distances and the merit to those arguments, if successful the ballistics will be significantly interesting.

Oh, by the way. My predictions concerning the 6.5-7.0 cal projos are referring only to mono-metal solids. There may be ways to alter characteristics using cores and/or tips made from other materials.

Lewis, if you have access to a 375 Chey-tac and a few of the Za 6.5 cal 400 gr projos, work up to 150 gr of US 869, if everything looks ok go to 151, if everything still looks ok go to 152.Post here what the chrono says. I have not stated this load is stable at extended ranges, I have very limited data at this point. I will have much more next wk. Anyone dealing with US 869 should do so with caution, it seems to have a nasty habit of building excessive pressure very quickly once its threshold has been reached. Again, I believe the 5.5 exit twist will be the cats meow when dealing with the 6.5 or 7.0 cal mono-metal solids. Right now you have the only one around so get busy and tell us something.

Hi Noel,

I would like to clarify the time lines here. Not that it is that important but clarity is always a good thing. Speaking to Anthony you said:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could also quote earlier comments, from you, indicating your aknowledgement that I was ahead of you (GS Custom), in the ULR game, dated quite some time ago.</div></div>
I see: Noel Carlson Registered on: September 11, 2008

That is about the time that you started showing the KJG bullets and came to the end of the venture with Lutz, if I am not mistaken. Your own designs came soon after and are still ongoing. This slightly predates Anthony's active involvement with GSC, I think. Anthony had been using our hunting bullets since 2002 but only got into the SP and long range bullets at the beginning of 2009, around the same time as you started out with yours. Is that about right?

Louis,

"PS; 'Did you ever pay Bartlein for those two barrels you ordered, and left sitting on their shop floor?'

Absolutely not and will tell you just as I told them...They took it upon themselves to email with you and get rifling profile..which was not the rifling profile I wanted at that time."

... As it relates to my involvement with your order, this response is simply false. That is about as kindly as I can characterize your account. I have had occasion to talk to Frank Green about this subject very recently, and his memory does not comport to your version of events either.

You appear to be alone on this one Louis. Did you ever cover the barrel blank that Bobby back-door ordered for your "Diplomat", or was that a misunderstanding also?

Hello Gerard,

I am glad to see you here.

My active development on projectiles began about the time of our e-mail correspondence, during the summer of 2008, if my memory serves me correctly.

I had heard rumors circulating around misuse of intellectual property that required clarification from you. You very graciously supplied a detailed chronology of your work on banded copper solids, and experience with Lutz Moeller.

For the record, would you explain to the people following this thread the inspiration, and purpose, of your sacrificial engraving-band technology? Your son-in-law does not seem to understand the significance of what you did.

Best,
Noel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My active development on projectiles began about the time of our e-mail correspondence, during the summer of 2008, if my memory serves me correctly.</div></div> That is how I recall it, you have been at it for about two years. To bring some perspective, here is a photo of the third LR bullet GSC put out.

338wrgdetail.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the record, would you explain to the people following this thread the inspiration, and purpose, of your sacrificial engraving-band technology?</div></div> Nope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your son-in-law does not seem to understand the significance of what you did.</div></div> He understands it very well. Do not confuse his reluctance to give you detailed information with a lack of understanding. We made the mistake of giving out proprietary information in good faith once. We are fast learners.

I have learned that the less I talk about a solution and the harder I work at it, the faster it gets done. It is not right until it is right and, when I find myself out of my depth, I learn to swim better first, rather than hoping for shallow water further out.

Fair enough, I understand.

It does leave me wondering why Anthony did not follow your cue in this thread. It is even worse to say things, that make no sense, if the objective is confidentiality.

Regards,
Noel

- Have any of your 7.0 caliber bullets been fired at 3,400 fps, and remained stable at range (not 100 yards)?

- Do you believe that there is no purpose to be served with gain-twist rifling geometry?

- Do you believe your 7.0 caliber 375 solid will stabilize from an 8" exit twist?

- Do you believe an LGT, or VGT, rifling geometry increases "torque"?

There is more, but that is a start.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those are the questions that Anthony has answered.</div></div> I have not been following the entire discussion and I confuse easily. Forgive me if I do not understand how a question can be an answer. If those are the questions, what were the answers? If those are the answers(?) what were the questions?

What I meant was:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is even worse to say things, that make no sense, if the objective is confidentiality.</div></div> What was said and what gave rise to what was said? In other words, did you ask a question and received a reply that did not make sense to you? I do not function well when given half the discussion, please spell it out for me.

Gerard,

Apologies; I forget that English may not be your primary language.

I have to get started with work, but I do want to continue this conversation. Let's allow some time for you, and Anthony, to review posts which he has made at the Hide. I can collect, and re-post, specific Anthony quotes, if it becomes necessary. It is not fair to put you in the position of defending someone else's statements, even if you might agree with them, without an oppourtunity to review.

I would be satisfied with your personal response to those questions, and the fact that you are hesitant actually goes a long way to answering my assessment of the technical competency disparity between the two of you.

I do hold you in high regard.

Best,
Noel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's allow some time for you, and Anthony, to review posts twhich he has made at the Hide.</div></div> Unfortunately time is not available for this.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can collect, and re-post, specific Anthony quotes, if it becomes necessary.</div></div> This would be better. It becomes a nutshell. Question, answer and why you disagree - nice and clear. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Noel Carlson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">- Have any of your 7.0 caliber bullets been fired at 3,400 fps, and remained stable at range (not 100 yards)?</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: extremist458</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
No back-peddling, it's all been explained. And I'm man enough to admit I made a mistake. Sorry guys. But I finish what I started, and that's that. So why do you have to lie some more? Now it's 3,500fps? And there goes the re-naming game again. And I didn't say "I" proved they work, I got a report back they did, and it is still true. The only issue was they were not tested at range, and I was premature is saying how great they worked before testing them out farther. Fact is, they did just fine when and where they were tested, but we held off giving the OK and selling any until it was tested 100%, and that proved to be the right choice. I haven't taken anyone's money like you have. Christian up man!</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: noel carson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
- Do you believe that there is no purpose to be served with gain-twist rifling geometry?</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Extremist458</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The only thing that VGT barrels have ever provided is the less likelihood of stripping to-lightly constructed driving bands. Since the bands can be, and should be, and are made to handle standard twists, it's a moot point. Bullets cannot be made any longer due to stability down range, not twist, so spinning it faster does not offer any gain. I can see if one needs a 5.5 twist how the need for VGT would be founded, but that is not what we have found here at GS Custom Bullets.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: noel carlson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
- Do you believe your 7.0 caliber 375 solid will stabilize from an 8" exit twist?</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Extremist458</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Over spinning the bullet does not compensate for issues in the design. Gain twist does not fix it, nor will it increase accuracy. The simple straight 8 is just fine, maybe even better, and that is proven.

Will let you know first thing. One thing that we do know is that it will work out of an 8 twist...and it wasn't the twist that was at fault, but rather the design. I could go deep into the explanation, but it's moot. Bullets are already on the way and will post results here first thing.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: noel carson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
- Do you believe an LGT, or VGT, rifling geometry increases "torque"?</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: extremist458</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you look at the only advantage that any gain twist can afford is possibly less initial engraving force, but since it's already so low, this would be of little advantage. And modern slow burning powders make up for most of any differences. Funny thing is that the gain twist barrels, exponentially so with the really fast exit twists, actually increase the rifle torque! This is because this function in not only a formula of force vs resistance, but also duration. Point is, they are just not worth it, and they would be common place by now if they were.</div></div>

Most interesting thread ive read on the internet in a LONG time... please continue...