• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Night Vision T70 and Helmet PVS14

Gunny6

Private
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2014
Hi everyone, this is my first post.
Hi have a SCAR 17 with a T70. I want to have a magnified (3x) optic mounted that I can also use with a PVS 14. I want to have the capability to remove the T70 sometimes and have the optics compatible with a helmet mounted PVS 14 and also have some type of aiming with PVS 14 with the T70 mounted, maybe off to the side RMR? I have lined some optics with the T70. My conclusion is that if the objective lense on my optic is bigger than about 30 mm it cuts out the edges of the T70 screen that has information on it. Also if the magnification is too great it also cuts out some of the screen of the T70. Their are limited acogs that are .308 compatable and I'm not sure if they are NV compatable. I was thinking maybe aimpoint (compM3 or T1) with magnifier. I'm not sure if they would line up with t70 though. What say you!
Oh, believe it or not, I'm trying to keep the weight down.:(

Last edited:
I would say try a night force 2.5 x 10 x 32 and just adjust mag level to where it gives optimized view and then use a IR laser pointer of some sort like the new ATPIAL-C for use with the PVS 14. definitely dont put the 14 on the SCAR. A second option would be the TA11 ACOG with 7.62 reticle. Just my two cents. Got pics of your SCAR and T70?

GJ

Though I use a different thermal from the OP, I face similar goals and problems.

Here is .22lr (training rifle) with thermal in front of eotech, in front of eotech 3x magnifier. If you know what you are looking at, you might be able to see laser-max, aiming laser on the front right of the rifle, just above the bipod.

So this setup offers two engagement methods. Use of the 14 and the ir-laser or use of the thermal in front of the eotech with the 3x magnifier.
The issue about not being able to see all the information around the edges of the thermal display is an issue with this setup, but in life, you can't have everything, so I'm ok with that. I usually (99%) only use white hot or black hot, and I can tell which of those I'm on without the words in the display. And I can tell whether the DVR is on or not, just barely, from the "reduced" display.
Even with the 3x magnifier flipped to the side, if I am looking straight through the thermal, I cannot see the edges. However, if flipped to the side and if a move my eye down and around and up, I can see all of the edges and the information. I just can't do that in a hurry.

A simplier setup with the thermal and its own 3x magnifier. The ir-laser is still there. But still cannot see the edges with this setup.

In front of 3x day scope on .308WIN, shown below, I cannot see the edges either. But 2x might work, I don't have 2x scope to try.

Here is a setup that allows the 14 to be used on the rifle. The 14 base is in front of the rear BUIS. This is on 5.56 rifle.

This is obviously not a shooting setup, but was done to make sure all this stuff would fit on the rifle at DIFFERENT times. But actually, I find I only put the 14 on the rifle when zeroing the ir-laser to the eotech reticle. That might not be enough reason to leave the 14 base on there all the time and doing so is a negative because it forces the eotech farther forward in making enough room for the 14 to fit.

I do agree with suggestion of ir-laser as additional engagement method, in fact, it might be the primary.