• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tab Gear Sling for Hunting

Idaho Savage

Sergeant
Minuteman
So I took my newly finished .308 on a pretty good boar hunt this weekend. The last thing I did to this rifle was to take my TAB Gear Sling off my other rifle and throw it on here, since I love shooting with it. Problem is, those slings are made from such slippery webbing that the thing absolutely sucks as a true shoulder sling--it just slides up, down, etc. all over your shoulder. Anyone had any successful mods to it, all la sewing some material on to friction points, etc?

It works, I shot two whitetail this year with my AW slung just like that with a pack on... Put your pack on play with it weather it be over the pack or under the pack.... but I carry a 19 pound AWSM like that and it seems to work

I spent 14 days hunting in Africa with a Rem 700 and the TAB Sling with no problem at all.

I did not experienced any problem on slipping the sling on the shoulder. May be, the type of fabric of the coat (poly/cotton) helped on this.

The only small issue I found out is that the plastic buckles are a little too noise for hunting in the bush. I put a elastic band around it and solved the sound issue.

I still use teh TAB Sling on my hunting rifles and like it very much.

LRCampos.

Put some shoe goo on the sling where it will sit on your shoulder. I did this to mine and it works pretty good. Doesn't interfere, at least on my setup, with using the sling for shooting either.

Get a Murray leather quick set. Nylon has many downsides for a hunting rig.
Good advice, there are a number of really good hunting slings, leather hunting slings made by "old time" sling makers. Most of the best holster makers also make fine hunting slings-from leather.

I want a leather sling that functions like the Tab. It doesn't appear that the Murray does that. I hauled that thing around for 12 hours today and it sucked--it just slips around. I'll try the shoegoo in the meantime. Thanks for that tip Charlie.

Having made leather and nylon slings since 1980s I can say this. Leather looks better and nylon does everything a sling should better, lasts longer and is better for tough use. I quit using leather for hard use two decades ago and have not missed it.

Take your nylon sling and put some dabs of shoe goo on it where you don't want it to slip

I like leather slings for tripod shooting.

If I were to take Tripod with me on a hunting trip a leather sling would be on the gun

I just got my TAB sling with out buckles in yesterday. Quality sling, we'll see if I have the same issue. Thanks for the shoe goo idea if it does!