• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TAB or Eberlestock shooting mat

jscharwath

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2010
Mississippi
Cant decide between the two. TAB is smaller and lighter 72x30 with small padded area, but Eberlestock is 96x34 and has full padding but does not roll up as tight. Will be using it for all my shooting match and field. Price is close on both so not a factor. Seen good reviews on the TAB but not a lot of firsthand on the Eberlestock. Users please help.

Re: TAB or Eberlestock shooting mat

I can only speak to the TAB. I have used one for several years. Works great. I got the optional stakes which are nice with wind. I also got the optional Fastex buckles. It does roll up to a nice small size and the buckles are handy. I would not hesitate to recommend the TAB.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jscharwath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cant decide between the two. TAB is smaller and lighter 72x30 with small padded area, but Eberlestock is 96x34 and has full padding but does not roll up as tight. Will be using it for all my shooting match and field. Price is close on both so not a factor. Seen good reviews on the TAB but not a lot of firsthand on the Eberlestock. Users please help. </div></div>

Shoot me a PM. I think I can help you if you want to demo the Eberlestock mat. If you don't mind, let me know where in MS you're located. I'm in Memphis & can probably work something out for you.

I've used my buddy's TAB at a few matches and one for myself is next on my short list. The capability to be rolled up and stowed in anything designed for a 1L Nalgene bottle on my match belt makes it a must have!
I've used big mats, fold up case/mats and the TAB is the perfect size/weight-just what an active shooter needs without excess you don't.

There is one place I've shot where a padded mat is an asset, the NRA Whittington Center, where the berms are made from coal mine tailings - those rocks are <span style="font-style: italic">sharp</span>.

Everywhere else, the TAB mat is perfect.

If I go to Whittington again, I'll take a cheap foam pad to put under the TAB mat.

Tab is more compact both deployed and stowed.
Size matters, your call.

Just an FYI for those of you that like the midway mats but don't like the size.

They will have a new mat coming out soon that's twice as wide and is made from better meterial and had a strap to load the bipod against. Saw it recently and just thought I'd share

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quicky06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just an FYI for those of you that like the midway mats but don't like the size.

They will have a new mat coming out soon that's twice as wide and is made from better meterial and had a strap to load the bipod against. Saw it recently and just thought I'd share </div></div>

This sounds very intriguing.

I have the unpadded Eberlestock and absolutely love it!

It is so bloody long that you can fit yourself, your rifle AND your pack on it and still have enough room for your wife/kids on the end
laugh.gif

I believe the mat is this long so you can lie further back on the mat and have it extend a few feet past your muzzle to prevent a dust signature. Good thinking.

It rolls up super small and very easily fits in my Eberlestock Gunslinger II pack.

I have both. The Tab is small lighter and thin on padding. I shoot mainly in the southwest. The tab is also great for building a small hide/sun shelter with tent poles. However for lots of shooting in nasty surface of the moon south west AZ rocks and cacti dig into you.

The Eberlestock is larger much larger than the Tab both packed and unpacked."I have the padded version" I use an Eberlestock gunslinnger 2 and it packs up nicely to my bag usinging some straps and I pack it low near my ass. It is much more comfortable for longer shooting and it has a better bottom plastic to keep water from seeping through. I really love it as use it as a sleeping mat on my 2 day trips. With a thin sleeping bag and the eberlestock it makes for a comfortable low drag night.

Overall it depends what you need. For quick shooing, lighter movement, but easy (comfortable) terrain I'd go tab. For longer shooting and rocky terrian but added size and weight Ebererlestock.

Buy the way. I bought my gear through Ceylon here on the hide and he was a great vendor. I will use him again.

Laz

I have the Eberlestock padded version and love it.

I'm an Eberlestock dealer, and originally ordered one for a client, saw it, and ordered one for myself.

Love Eberlestock gear.

Semper Fidelis

Shooting mats? You guys can't be Marines, shooting mats for Army and civilians and the gays.

Everyone but Rancid.
smile.gif

We can make a mat just as small or as large, with as little or as much padding as the customer wants. Just contact us with your request and we'll be happy to provide a quote to you.

Being able to do custom work in a short time frame is what sets apart the small guys from the large manufacturers.

I'm a civi and am old enough to enjoy a little comfort while I shoot. I'll leave all the runnin an gunnin to you younger and harder men. Low speed and high drag, but trying to shed some drag.
As a plus it will make it easier to get my daughter out there shooting with me.