• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tac Ops Kilo-51 at 600

clmayfield

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
I got a chance to go to 600 with my Kilo-51 this weekend. I haven't seen a lot of targets of Tac Ops at > 300 yards, so I thought I'd put this out there.

I shot on two different days. The first day, I had a difficult time getting on paper because I used Google Earth to mark the range and I used the wrong landmarks. It turns out, I was set up at 900! I finally used my reticle to do the ranging and realized my mistake. I felt like an idiot. Having wasted enough ammo trying to get on paper, and not having anything large enough to mil off of with great accuracy, I went ahead and measured 600 yards with a tape measure... which took a long time!

I used the Android Shooter app and the listed velocity (which I knew was going to be wrong, but made a nice starting place) to get on, and it did extremely well. See below:
01-09-11Kilo51600yds2OT-2.jpg

That's a little over half MOA. My wind reading skills might look really good from that target, but it was about a 7 o'clock wind 7 - 10mph. You'll see from the next day's targets that my wind reading skills could use some work. This was with 175 gr FGMM, BTW, which is the amazing part.

It was getting late, so I packed up and set up to shoot then next day and shot these...
01-09-11Kilo51600yds3OT.jpg

01-09-11Kilo51600yds1OT.jpg

The wind was 3 o'clock at 2 - 7mph. I doped for 3 and shot during the lulls. I can't believe how on Shooter's wind dope was... those groups are pretty well-centered.

As you can see, there is a lot more horizontal dispersion there. I was planning on shooting some 10 shot groups after the first 5 shots, and then I realized that I only had 6 rounds left, so I went with another 5 round group. I did have a bunch of 180 grain Federal Match, but after the issues yesterday, I decided I didn't want to estimate velocity for a new load and try to get on paper again.

What was pretty incredible to me was the vertical dispersion of FGMM. That is .37 MOA average for the 3 groups. And the smallest group had a .28 MOA vertical dispersion. Obviously, I need to work on my wind reading to clean up that horizontal dispersion, but I felt like the rifle performed extremely well.

Next time I go out to the ranch, I will give 1,000 yards a shot, but I am going to need to bring my bigger targets.

Re: Tac Ops Kilo-51 at 600

Great shooting!

Am I the only one that caught that he measured 600 with a TAPE MEASURE?! Wow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daps!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I the only one that caught that he measured 600 with a TAPE MEASURE?! Wow. </div></div>

Think his next purchase should be a rangefinder.lol. 600 is a long way with a tape.

Great looking target Carter, can't wait to see the it at 1000 next.... I've got to imagine that measuring to 600 with a tape measure probably felt like the old days, when you were still waiting on that fine piece of machinery you're shooting
smile.gif

-Tyler

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete86</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daps!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I the only one that caught that he measured 600 with a TAPE MEASURE?! Wow. </div></div>

Think his next purchase should be a rangefinder.lol. 600 is a long way with a tape.</div></div>

Well... here's the deal... I was unprepared. The target that I was using was very small for 600. At 600, all I can see is the ring, which measures 9". This comes out to about .41 mils. At 700 yards, it comes out to .35 mils. I have a difficult time measuring down to .1 mils with the subtensions on my scope. 600 to 700 yards is a huge difference dope-wise... 4.2 mils of drop versus 5.5 mils of drop... that 1.3 mils is off the target at 700 yards... about two and a half feet. That is a big difference for not being able to discern between one and the other.

In hindsight, I should have just measured the distance from fence post to fence post with the tape measure and then ranged off of that. It would have gotten me close enough. I was frustrated at that point, so I just decided to use the gold standard, which meant staking the tape, walking 100 yards, marking, going back 100 yards, unstaking the tape, walking 100 yards, staking again, etc., etc. so yeah, to measure that 600 yards took a while. I ended up walking a mile total measuring the distance. The first couple of times, I reeled that tape in. After that, I just dragged the tape.

So my big learning is that I need bigger targets. That target was designed for small bore at 100 yds, not 600 yards.

I can also appreciate the joy of ringing steel. You get instant feedback. I am going to need to set up my range with steel targets and stands in the future. That will be a little project of mine.