• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Tac-ops rifles

knotty

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2011
Canada
I've always wondered what their mud gutter is. What do they do to the action to improve it?

It's nothing on their action. My understanding is that it's a relief they cut when chambering the barrel to allow space for debris to go without binding the bolt. I think AI still uses the same concept (I know they used to) and call it an ice ring.

Thanks for the info. Where is it cut? Do you have any pictures? What does the AI ice ring look like? Is it the relief cuts near the handle?

No, the cut is on the outside of the bolt nose. On the AI it's on the very back of the tenon since it's a flat nosed bolt. On the 700 it would be in the bolt nosed recess. They are on the barrel, not on the action.

Last edited:
IIRC HK does something similar in their barrels. I know most of the HK pistols have it. They phrase it a "self cleaning chamber" or something similar.

Cool info! I'd always wondered about that, and glad someone else asked the question, so it could be clarified. This site is awesome for people being able to get answers to just about any question.

No, the cut is on the outside of the bolt nose. On the AI it's on the very back of the tenon since it's a flat nosed bolt. On the 700 it would be in the bolt nosed recess. They are on the barrel, not on the action.

I know for sure it's not on the bolt. It's on the receiver. When I visited Mike's shot to pickup my Delta, he went over and pointed out a lot of details on a bare receiver he had just finished machining.

I don't remember exactly what he did, most of his work is proprietary, but I remember him pointing it out on the receiver.

I know for sure it's not on the bolt. It's on the receiver. When I visited Mike's shot to pickup my Delta, he went over and pointed out a lot of details on a bare receiver he had just finished machining.

I don't remember exactly what he did, most of his work is proprietary, but I remember him pointing it out on the receiver.

I wasn't trying to say it's on the bolt. I don't see how it could be part of the reciever either. I know on the AI it is simply a small recess on the rear of the tenon, about 100 thousandths outside the outer edge of th chamber. Since a 700 has a bolt nose recess, I would think the cut would be the same, just in the bolt nose recess instead of on the very rear of the tenon.

There are numerous ways to do it and we do something similar. It's a matter of adding "area" to an otherwise confined space. Our new actions have numerous accommodations for debris designed into the receiver and bolt.