• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tack Driver - Looking for a New Rifle

I run my precision rifle poors savage in an XLR element.
It was my first bolt action and try as I might it won’t go away like a persistent case of herpes.
It’s been a good rifle for a long time retiring a good number of barrels.

Skip the SWFA 12x
You can go better.
A decade ago it was relevant.

Last edited:
Reactions: DonasaurusRex
I purchased a Savage 110 Tactical in 300 win mag for $800 new. Fully adjustable stock, decent bedding, 3.850" Aics mag, 20 moa rail. Shoots 208 elds @ 2980fps. .25moa @ 100, holds .5moa out to 900yds. Not taken it past that yet. Have another Savage Model 112 BVSS in 300 win mag that shot .5moa @ 1600yds. Just rebarreled it to 300prc.

Slit of gun snobs scoff at Savage but you can by a Cabellas exclusive for about $450 add a fixed 10 power SWFA scope, Harris bipod 100. Buy and shoot
Put an aftermarket stock on later like a KRG BRAVO . You can get a Howa package for a really good price too. Good enough for Weatherby to put their name on.

That would have been my suggestion, the Savage 12 for 450, but he already bought a rifle.

If new a Savage Axis 2 Hardwood in 6.5 creedmoor. Top with an SS 3-15, Athlon Midas TAC or Ares. Max magnification under 20x.

Learn to bed it yourself. Replace trigger or pay to improve it.

Hi friends,
Thanks for the replies everyone, it's awesome to see others have experiences with this model rifle. Some of the pictures I see posted...wow.

I believe the SWFA SS 10 x 42 is in my future, I appreciate the recommendations. To be honest, I'm slightly intimidated by these scopes for the simple fact I have no idea how to properly use them. So you can bet I will be reading the instruction manual and likely asking some more questions around here too.

So far, so good. Still some unknowns ahead, hopefully this all comes together without any headaches.

Hi friends,
As some of you may know, I'm starting from scratch on this firearm. While I've come to this forum to learn, my spirit animal along this journey has been TiborasaurusRex.

Budget Long Range Rifle

This has been a fun, exciting and at times frustrating journey thus far. To say I've encountered some problems getting the equipment together would be an understatement. I've managed to go a few hundred dollars over budget, but we're making progress from nothing to something. Slowly.

Dear friends,
I'm in the market for a new rifle. If you were going to buy the best set up possible for under $1200, what would you buy? Rifle, scope, bipod, the entire rig. I'm open to any and all suggestions. Please feel free to elaborate on why.

What is the best rifle available for the money? Should I explore a market place section at this website or another? What is the best bang for the buck and what route would you go?

Thanks.
The Savage Axis II Precision is a great rifle. 900 bucks at dicks sporting goods come fit to MDT chaise. sorry you would have to put a scope on it.

Attachments

• 20210520_193502.jpg
    20210520_193502.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 30