• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

gryphthemyth

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2010
Arion, Iowa
I recently bought a tactical version HK 45 and after a box of shells I realize im still just a 1911 guy at heart when it comes to 45s. Im considering selling the HK and getting a railed tactical 1911. I have a series 80 Colt commander and a Kimber TLE and love both of them so im going to stick with what I know. Im looking at either the Kimber Desert Warrior or the Sig Tactical Operations TB but can't decide. Opinions? Alternatives?

Re: Tactical 1911

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">STI Tactical, double stack! </div></div>

This.........

I also have a couple 1911s that I am slowly building up and replacing parts and such. For a gun that may see any duty other than a range toy, it better have a rail.

-Springfield Operator of any grade
-Kimber Warrior
-Colt Rail Gun
-STI Tactical

Tactical 1911

\/ \/ \/ \/

USSC%201911%20Slide%202.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would not want to carry a double stack 1911.

Good luck </div></div>

Isnt a 1911 all about the slim grip and single stack? I know for me after holding my SIG 220combat I sold my double stack XD to a buddy. I just fell in love with the single stack feel myself.

Yeah I agree, I don't have anything against double stack 1911s (to each their own) but when it comes to 1911 I like the slim profile plus I could just keep the HK tactical if I wanted a double stack 45. Its a sweet gun, looks badass, shoots accurate I just don't get that "natural" feel when I shoot it. Not the guns fault by any means just not for me.

STI double stacks are not that much thicker in the grip than a single stack 1911, Para's are a different story with there square grip.

Well as I said. To each their own. I have nothing against double stack 1911s but kinda back to the heart of my original question, does anyone have experience with the 2 choices I had in mind listed at beginning post? I guess it really comes down to asking if anyone has messed with the sig 1911s? I have kimbers and find no problems but never dealt witht the sig 1911s only their 220,226,238s.

I have a railed sig that I like very much. May fit your bill.

It is a bit different style than a regular 1911, but it runs well and does all I need it to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">single stack

singlestack.jpg

double stack

doublestack.jpg
</div></div>

how's that possible?

which single stack vs which double stack? practicalyl the same thing there. I know I can't tell .003 of a diff when I hold it

I've got a Sig 1911 XO the "TacPac" and I love it. Feels natural in my hands. I've only got about 500 rounds through it but I've never had a jam.

between the 2 that you listed, I would go with the Kimber Warrior. I have not been sold on the external extractors of the Sigs/S&Ws.

The Kimber doesnt have all the dumb firing pin safeties either. One thing I would advise if you do get the Kimber is to get some Wilson 47D mags for carry. The Kimber will also fit into more holsters where the Sigs have a different shaped slide and they wont fit into quite as many holster options as the traditional 1911 style.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
how's that possible?

which single stack vs which double stack? practicalyl the same thing there. I know I can't tell .003 of a diff when I hold it</div></div>

single stack is any ole standard gov frame, this one happens to be a Rock Island. the double stack is a Caspian recon frame, the grips are recessed into the frame and they are unique to this frame, a little thinner

sorry OP, dont mean to sidetrack

Kalifornia Drop Safety of some sort, non standard extractor, Kimber Warrior is straight 70 series, if something were to break you have choices with the Kimber, break something in the Sig and it goes back to Sig

My vote in that price range would be the Springfield TRP Operator. I haven't had any experience with any of the others, only can speak for my TRP in saying that it has been 100%, and I can't say the same for my Kimber (Eclipse) that I used to own.

I am a 1911 nut myself and have some nice ones. That said I have a TRP operator that has been a great gun that I shoot often and I would highly recommend it. I carry a Champion operator as my CCW. Springfield makes a good 1911. I have no experience with Sig but I can tell you first hand I would take Springfield's quality and CS over Kimber any day. Consider sending whatever you choose to Custom by Winslow and have him loosen it up/tune it for reliability if it going to be a hard use gun. He is reasonable and makes a 1911 very reliable in dirty, crappy field conditions.

Yeah Im starting to swing towards the springfield. I do have a kimber and its always been a reliable gun but I think I will take advantage of adding another brand to my 1911s. Guess ill have to see if I can find one after I get my tactical HK sold off. I think the sig is out ill look for a railed springfield and keep the kimber as runner up if I don't find a deal I like. Thanks everyone for the input.

Anybody looking for an HK tactical 45 drop me a PM lol. Ill get a proper advert and pics up this weekend in the firearms for sale section.

I've owned every one of these and they've all worked just fine - Kimber Warrior, TRP Operators, Sig, and several others. That being said, I've had the most overall problems with Kimbers in recent years. Though I have an original Custom from 1996 that I'll never sell! I think the TRP Operator is the bees knees for the money.

I'm personally stuck on Volkmann Custom 1911's right now, but Springer get's my vote for the mid level 1911's.

Good luck!

Well I got the HK tactical sold before even getting it posted, now I just need to find a good deal. Thanks for the info guys.

Springfield TRP or Wilson CQC railed. other then that i would go custom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silverbullet-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at a Springfiels TRP Operator. One of the best factory guns out there. Warranty 2nd to none. JPG </div></div>

What he said....

The TRP is one of the best values out there in my opinion.

Personally, I'd go with a Springfield Operator. I think it's a more nicely crafted firearm than the Kimber. I used to be a big Kimber fan, but am finding myself growing fonder of Springers. Not a fan of the adjustable sights on the TRP or the horribly aggressive checkering.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">between the 2 that you listed, I would go with the Kimber Warrior. I have not been sold on the external extractors of the Sigs/S&Ws.

<span style="color: #FF0000">The Kimber doesnt have all the dumb firing pin safeties either</span>. One thing I would advise if you do get the Kimber is to get some Wilson 47D mags for carry. The Kimber will also fit into more holsters where the Sigs have a different shaped slide and they wont fit into quite as many holster options as the traditional 1911 style. </div></div>

the Kimber Warrior may not have a firing pin safety, but I've had 6 Kimbers on my bench this month for work that have firing pin safeties in them. so make sure you get a model without firing pin safety. my vote would be SA Operator or Range Officer, I love the Bomar type sights.