• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Tactical Adventure Races - Lets Talk Packs

Also one more thought - Molle anything is the devil.

Add up all the canvas molle stuff we put on our packs, and it is another liter of water on average. I love having some molle on a pack to attach stuff in a pinch, but if weight is important, molle is never the answer. :)

Truth is, there is a middle ground, but I've become much more aware of how inefficient the molle system is for weight. The kifaru ultralight pouches/pods/bags are superlight.

Roger that on MOLLE all over the place. There have been a lot of great innovations that are MOLLE-compatible, without the webbing, but for these types of event-specific gear needs, I think custom is the way to go.

I really think it makes sense to approach it from what blasters, water systems, and other items you're carrying, then let that determine the design of the load-bearing system.

One of the most sensible rifle approaches I saw was the team that had the Proof Research carbon fiber wrapped barrel 6.5 Creedmoor. Also, If I were carrying a carbine for SAC, I would look into the AP Industries Carbon Fiber float tubes. I have a rifle-length one, and it weighs 5.6oz with hardware. I would also look into a carbon fiber wrapped barrel for both the carbine and the rifle, with a Ti muzzle break to help reduce muzzle climb.

I even noticed some teams that loaded the lightest weight projectiles possible in their pistols, to the extent of using aluminum cases to help with weight reduction. Pistols and mags should lean to the lighter models, rather than your full-size autos with steel frames.

Someone mentioned the Coleman civilian polymer frame that was adapted to ALICE packs by some sew joints back in the day. I have one of those frames, but I modified the frame to drop into an ALICE, rather than having the tabs with grommets sewn to the ALICE. The angled portions of the frame near your kidneys offer some unique options that would help keep a rifle as close to your C of G, without requiring a long sleeve.

I'm going to have to get my Coleman polymer frame out, but it's overseas right now. Maybe just get another one. I have a frame design that will integrate one common, but bulky, piece of equipment into the frame, knocking out 2 birds with one stone, and making establishment of positions much faster, without needing to break out ancillary gear.

I have to say that Tyr's innovation with low-weight Cordura and ballistic laminate coatings on the backside is one of the best things to come along since Cordura for military-grade textiles. What's wrong with decreasing weight, while increasing abrasion resistance and tensile strength?

There is nothing wrong with MOLLE or having it on an item. The problem lies with some users not being able to refrain from attaching something to every possible location that they have attachment points.

224585_466166833445311_986544832_n.jpg

My teammate is looking at getting a Kifaru, but I'm still working on a custom pack.

I have a 15 year old Kelty 6500 pack that I was going to use for donor parts (zippers, etc), but in taking it apart, I may have stumbled upon an idea that I think might have merit.... The internal frame has the traditional aluminum statys and backpanel, but it also has a transverse aluminum bar that gives the back panel a "U" shape... Wings if you will. Anyhow, I've mocked it up and am in the process of mounting my rifles to try a few things. It looks like shit right now, but when I get it more squared away, I'll post pictures.

As an aside, thanks for all of the sewing tip and suggestions. Between here and DIYTactical, I have gone through 6-8 bobbins without breaking a needle. I've also built a prototype of a pair of pants with articulated knees, diamond crotch, and cargo pockets. They are pretty much a combination of my Beyond Rough Rider pants, Crye G3, Arc'Teryx Sphinx, and TAD Force 10. I learned a ton about sewing and my machine in the process..... I'm not sure my machine is up for the thick material, but I'm sure as hell going to try.

That is awesome! Glad you're psyched and things are progressing. Can't wait to see the proto.